Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever been LOCKED OUT of a game?

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Two Brighton games spring to mind

The '83 FA Cup quarter final against Norwich

Got to the ground at my normal time of about half two, which I'd been doing for ages, including the previous weekend when the crowd was 'select', and began to panic when it dawned on me I wasn't going to get in :dunce:

Jimmy Case's Testimonial v. Liverpool

Similar sort of scenario as above, with the added self-inflicted element of staying in the pub a bit too long for an extra pint :nono:

I also drove all the way to Liverpool in the late Eighties hoping to see them clinch the title against Tottenham, to again leave it a bit tight and not get in :down:

Any similar tales of woe?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Was 'locked out' of an opening day game at cambridge a few years back. No wonder clubs struggle when the ground is less than a 3rd full.

Still, my son & I had a good afternoon in a pub, with pool & Sky Sports and spent a good deal less than those who suffered the goaless draw.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Chelsea away - FA Cup replay 1967 -54000 inside the ground- Approx 5000( including me) still outside when they shut the gates.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Sweden v England - 1989 - the game when Butcher was covered in Blood.

Several hundred England fans (myself included) were locked outside without tickets, yet there was plenty of space inside.

The Swedish Police then made the very sensible decision to let us all in, rather than let the England fans wonder back into Stockholm City Centre where they would have been unable to contain them.

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
West Ham v Hereford FA Cup replay Ended up watching the first half from the roof of a block of flats behind the stand behind one of the goals til the police got us off

Was 'locked out' of an opening day game at cambridge a few years back. No wonder clubs struggle when the ground is less than a 3rd full.

I got to that match half-way through the first half, but my mate (who travelled separately) was inside with my ticket. We didn't both have mobiles so I couldn't tell him I was going to be late, and I didn't get in until half-time!

I (and several other Albion fans) got locked out of Swindon about 3 years ago because they actually closed the turnstiles before 3.15! No amount of argument would get them to take our money. The club lost out and all those fans did too; everyone a loser. I'll never go there again.

Last edited:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Quite a few when withdean first opened its doors to top flight footy,at least the trees gave some cover for those are allergic to pvc hoodies.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Not at all notts spent quite a few matches perched up behind the south stand,until the laws that be decided it was unsafe,pity they do not feel the same way about the incredibly slippery surface the steps of the stand are coated in that compare with ice when it rains. I guess its ok to fall to your death as long as you have payed to get in .

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Home against Pompey in the FA Cup, in about 94, got to the ground at about 2pm to find that it was pretty near full...we queued up for the North Stand but the gates were closed within a couple of minutes...tried to watch the game from the back garden of a house in Goldstone lane before being asked to leave by the cops, even tried to climb over the turnstile and onto the East Terrace, egged on by Pompey fans who probably hadn't a clue that we were Brighton fans. Finally gave up and left to go home, did stand on a wall behind the ground for a while and saw our goal go in...relaying this with glee to the Pompey fans, who were also locked out, wandering around outside. The icing on the cake was getting a ticket on my car for obstruction as I had a wheel on the kerb where we had abandoned it in our futile effort to get to the ground early...but at least I managed to get a ticket for the game in the next round...away to Man Utd.

Dizzle.

Aug 9, 2008
Perth, Australia
Last home game of the perth glory a-league game against melbourne a few weeks back. Not quite sure why but there were a load of fans locked out, so we went round the back and jumped over the fence behind the family stand :thumbsup:

D

Deleted User X18H

Two Brighton games spring to mind

The '83 FA Cup quarter final against Norwich

Got to the ground at my normal time of about half two, which I'd been doing for ages, including the previous weekend when the crowd was 'select', and began to panic when it dawned on me I wasn't going to get in :dunce:

Jimmy Case's Testimonial v. Liverpool

Similar sort of scenario as above, with the added self-inflicted element of staying in the pub a bit too long for an extra pint :nono:

I also drove all the way to Liverpool in the late Eighties hoping to see them clinch the title against Tottenham, to again leave it a bit tight and not get in :down:

Any similar tales of woe?
I got to the Norwich game at 12.30pm and full hour before the players walked around the pitch in their suits.............HAPPY HAPPY DAYS!!!

To rock up to one of the top 10 all time important games at the Goldstone was old boy a schoolboy error.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Nearly - Spurs early 80's at the Goldstone. Had to squeeze into the East Terrace next to the Spurs fans - not fun. Also the Cup Final replay - coach arrived late and got there just as the gate was closing and the teams were lined up on pitch.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Was unable to get a ticket for the Swindon game at Withers when we won the 2nd division. Watched throught a gap in the fence with a bunch of others and then scaled the fence and made our way onto the running track for the trophy presentation.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
I got to the Norwich game at 12.30pm and full hour before the players walked around the pitch in their suits.............HAPPY HAPPY DAYS!!!

To rock up to one of the top 10 all time important games at the Goldstone was old boy a schoolboy error.

You're right about the schoolboy error ;)

We'd been averaging around 16 000 per game up until then, and on the day an extra 13 000 bodies decide to pitch up :shootself

Probably foreseeable thinking about it :dunce:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
You're right about the schoolboy error ;)

We'd been averaging around 16 000 per game up until then, and on the day an extra 13 000 bodies decide to pitch up :shootself

Probably foreseeable thinking about it :dunce:

I would guess the voucher entitling you to a cup final ticket encouraged a few more than usual

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
Away to Barnet. Assumed it would be pay on the gate. It wasn't, and the stewards wouldn't budge, even though there were loads of us outside. A petulant `stuff your f***ing ground up your a***` before retiring to a thoroughly unpleasant pub for the afternoon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here