Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever been inspired by a party leader's conference speech?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Go on. Out yourself.

I must say, as a teenager, I was won over by Tony Blair's party conference speeches from 1994 to about 1997. Looking at them now, they were unusually well written and articulate.

I thought we couldn't go wrong with him as Prime Minister. So much promise. Won't be fooled again!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Same, I was really inspired by Blair back in 96. I was in college at the time and it was the era of good house music, Oasis and The Verve, Britain seemed a good place to be at the time :)

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
i was quite inspired by neil kinnock's speech back in october 1985

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Go on. Out yourself.

I must say, as a teenager, I was won over by Tony Blair's party conference speeches from 1994 to about 1997. Looking at them now, they were unusually well written and articulate.

I thought we couldn't go wrong with him as Prime Minister. So much promise. Won't be fooled again!

See Ronald Reagan, the genuine phoney.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Go on. Out yourself.

Nick Griffin usually gets the juices flowing.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
I've been looking at Obama's rally speeches from 2008, and looking enviously across the pond. I think he's great.

Jul 20, 2003
not a leader at the time but William Hague's young conservative speech in 1977 inspired me to become Labour

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
i was quite inspired by neil kinnock's speech back in october 1985

I found a link to it along with other ones from conferences past
British Political Speech | Speech Archive

That speech's famous paragraph about a Labour council hiring taxi drivers to 'scuttle' around a city giving redundancy notices to its workers - what was that a reference to?

The way the speech tore into what Kinnock saw as the gap between the Tories presenting themselves as the bet party (of business, freedom and the family) and reality was also incendiary.

They don't make speeches like that these days, it seems.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I found a link to it along with other ones from conferences past
British Political Speech | Speech Archive

That speech's famous paragraph about a Labour council hiring taxi drivers to 'scuttle' around a city giving redundancy notices to its workers - what was that a reference to? The way the speech tore into what Kinnock saw as the gap between the Tories presenting themselves as the bet party (of business, freedom and the family) and reality was also incendiary.

They don't make speeches like that these days, it seems.

Derek Hattons Militant Labour council in Liverpool, it was a right basket case and not representive of the Labour party....if I stand correct I think a section of Militant tendercy walked out shouting at N.Kinnock.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Derek Hattons Militant Labour council in Liverpool, it was a right basket case and not representive of the Labour party....if I stand correct I think a section of Militant tendercy walked out shouting at N.Kinnock.

An MP by the name of Eric Heffer, I believe stormed off the stage

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Degsey is back in Liverpool touting some strange scam about car parking

Feb 14, 2010
Inspired by what? None of them said anything. We still have a vast and ever growing debt, teachers that want a full time salary with half the year off, a police force that will lie to cover their backs and then retire early on a fat pension, a fire brigade that want to go to work for about 100 days a year whilst having another job and a general attitude that people in the private sector should work all hours to pay for it all. No mate, I'm not inspired, just wondering how long it will take this county to get back to the 1970s and be bankrupt again. We have lived off the financial and to a lesser extent insurance sector since the 1980's and that has papered over the cracks, but whether that will happen again remains to be seen given the world is getting truly global every day and global institutions that locate in places like London, Hong Kong, Singapore are I think, going to be less willing to stump up cash to pay for the regions. When the recovery gets going then places like London, Mumbai and Hong Kong will boom but regional areas will see less and less of the cash.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here