Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have we paid the price for that Southampton performance?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Looking back on that golden first half, the effort and guile of the second, leaves me wondering why? how? And what? Has happened in the last two games.

Southampton are clearly not world beaters, but we made them look foolish on national television, great for us! yet alas, in front of the interested and calculating eyes of the rest of the division.

Ah! There’s the rub! The individual, outrageously bad performances of one or two aside…

Leeds - would have undoubtedly been a different game had they not feared a similar outcome to the above. So somewhat inevitably (and annoyingly!!) they stepped up, and we (all too obviously and annoyingly - sigh) could not match them. Had they been off the gas, rating themselves… then… well who knows? but I doubt it would have been three.

Norwich - as above really, especially as Lambert saw his Colchester side under perform against us at the backend of last season, which he was furious about. So the upshot, again, was a harsh lesson, which acutely illustrates that the majority of our players against up for it big clubs in this division, will pretty much lose nine times out of ten.

The upshot of the two defeats, embarrassing as they were, will most likely result in Rushden fancying themselves a little too much come Saturday, that said I’d take a scrappy 1-0, 2-1 so that Charlton will perchance be there to be hoisted by their own languid petard.

Fingers crossed!

Albion

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
I thought the 3-1 scoreline flattered us a bit at St Mary's. The first half hour aside we were hanging on, and our third goal was the classic sucker punch against the run of play

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
yep my heart says win, against Charlton, but my head tells me it's far more likely to be a battling 1-0 or 2-0 reverse... they'll also know they need to be up for it... we have to hope, I guess, that when it comes round to Exeter all these games against top opposition result in us looking like world beaters... hmmmmmm hope is all we have really.

Hey, at least we have the reverse fixtures to look forward to, all in a row... that'll be great too!

Keep the faith!

Albion

Last edited:

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I hope Gus has watched the dvd of Charltons game at Northwich Victoria in the last round. Vics got after Charlton from the off, never let them settle, never let them have time on the ball and as a result came away with a 1-0 win that was anything but lucky, they fully deserved it.
Im not suprised we were outplayed by Leeds and Norwich, quite simply we are not at that standard yet but i do think Charlton are beatable if we put in enough effort and harrass them for 90 minutes.

hopper_182

Sep 25, 2008
I thought the 3-1 scoreline flattered us a bit at St Mary's. The first half hour aside we were hanging on, and our third goal was the classic sucker punch against the run of play

Murrays Penalty claim? Forsters post? great save fom Crofts Shot? i think we could have scored more goals, so dont really think it flattered us that much, we played very well and the scoreline reflects that IMO.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Yep, we can win it, but will we? for me an awful depends on Saturday... we need a good performance, not necessarily a bag full of goals, but a solid comprehensive and here's the key - a bloody professional performance.

They will however need our full support, and from me at least, they always will.

Albion

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Finally someone comes out and says it. If Southampton had taken their chances after the first 30 minutes we would have let in another 3 or more. Great attacking display yes but we gave them a lot of chances they just didn't take them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here