Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have we got a discipline problem?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
22 yellow cards plus a red in the league already (the most), and another 10 in the Carling Cup for an early-season total of 32. The day after an FA charge for Leicester we get another five bookings v Leeds. And presumably it'll be tasty tomorrow night.

At the moment our reputation is all about great football when we've got it, but can Gus and Charlie curb the fouls and bookings? If it carries on at that rate it will cost us at some point.

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
some of the yellows on friday were harsh - only one deserved was greer's dodgy pull back. as for painter's red card - complete joke

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I agree its high,... but look at Fridays game,... it wasnt a dirty game,... no persistent foul play or confrontations,... and look 10 bookings, 5 per team,.... what with Holloway talking today about the same thing, the refs appear to be on peace work, paid by the card issued.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Last edited:

SouthamptonGuy

Apr 3, 2011
If I may, (not here to argue saints/brighton) from the times I have seen brighton play you haven't been dirty. The fouls that get you bookings are often 'tactical'. The goalie time wasting until being booked, tripping a player to get players back in position etc.

That isn't a criticism by the way, just an observation (from limited observations).

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
FAIL. Re-read.

Hurstpierpoint pointed out that we have had discipline problems since Poyet tookover. I was pointing out that we were not overly bad last season in comparison to other clubs in the league.

The previous post of mine pointed out that we are currently third in the foul stakes (joint leaders in yellow cards).

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
While Painter's was a very harsh red, Calderon could easily have seen red in the first half against Leeds so that's balanced out somewhat. We do get a lot of silly yellow cards, nothing malicious just silly

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If I may, (not here to argue saints/brighton) from the times I have seen brighton play you haven't been dirty. The fouls that get you bookings are often 'tactical'. The goalie time wasting until being booked, tripping a player to get players back in position etc.

That isn't a criticism by the way, just an observation (from limited observations).

Fair comment

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I don't suppose anyone has a league table for managers sent to the stands over the last 3 seasons, how does Poyet compare?

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2

Yep, I'd agree with that. We can be cynical when we need to be - you often see Dicker/Navarro "taking one for the team" as they say, when caught out of position with the opponents on the break - but it's all about winning at the end of the day. We are not a dirty side who will purposely turn a game into a physical scrap to maximise our chance of taking 3 points. Although we've shown the ability to combat that style of play (eg. Pompey).

Plus, of course these sort of stats are largely down to the standard of refereeing, as has been pointed out. So many of our yellows this season have been completely unwarranted.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I thought that had been resolved when Judas left us.

Well, I thought it was good even before you highlighted it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here