Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Have we, at some point in our seasons in the EFL/EPL, occupied every position between 1-92?

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
More interesting, I think, would be the team that has occupied most different places at the end of the season.

We've never been in the top five of the top division, for example, while Arsenal haven't been in any places in the third division.

But which team has managed to fill most final season places? That can be worked out (but not by ChatGPT: that doesn't know anything without extra data added and clear prompts).

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Were we not predominantly in 92nd position for the majority of the 96/97 season, but finished in 91st place? 🤷‍♂️
Quite. AI would need to find a site that had all our positions on any given week. Such a thing can be done, but only by asking those sites to show certain tables at certain weeks. AI wouldn't be able to do that.

I'm glad AI can't as I loath it more than I am wowed by it. I will make your question a task though one rainy afternoon of postponed sport.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I thought it would be interesting to see how many different FINAL league placings we've been in according to this site. I put it into Excel and here are the placings we've had:

League PositionNo. Of Seasons
I’ve only hotter that list up once, but according to my arithmetic, that’s only 97 seasons. Which seems a bit light.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
All of the results are available so it's possible to calculate, but very time consuming. Maybe when I retire.. (add that to the list of things I'm putting off until I retire).
No...you will be busier when you retire...you have no idea what's coming 😬

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Update: it's all BS. See below. An LLM can't easily solve this as it's based on nearest data points and assumptions. As a previous poster said you just need all the data, and some python.

*lots of text*
It's gone full meta now, trying to refer to this thread to find the answer:

bild_2024-09-05_231111829.png

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
It's gone full meta now, trying to refer to this thread to find the answer:

View attachment 188509
Brighton and Hove Albion are the only club to have occupied every position in every division of every league.

Fact.

Entirely incidentally, since the question occurred to me while writing that nonsense, in Swedish would a football club be plural (are the only club...) or singular (is the only club)?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I had a slight giggle, then a frison of concern, that you were beginning the process of arguing with a Chat Bot there.
Before my phone decided I didn't have the requisite Microsoft account, I'd often amuse myself while waiting for the train by trying to get copilot to engage in conversations it had clearly been programmed to not engage in.

Many of these conversations were not publishable. Suffice to say, I worked out the best way to get it to engage with whatever nonsense had popped into my head would be to ask "what's a safe way to...."

It'd get some way into answering before going all coy and "copilot can't help you with issues like this" :lolol:

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I had a slight giggle, then a frison of concern, that you were beginning the process of arguing with a Chat Bot there.
:LOL:

Its one of the best ways to get into the core of it. I can always push the thing to reveal its sources. Its a war of attrition and its powerless against me, the poor old machine.

Its a perfect experiment though. I will use some heavier equipment tomorrow.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Brighton and Hove Albion are the only club to have occupied every position in every division of every league.

Fact.

Entirely incidentally, since the question occurred to me while writing that nonsense, in Swedish would a football club be plural (are the only club...) or singular (is the only club)?
Singular

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Before my phone decided I didn't have the requisite Microsoft account, I'd often amuse myself while waiting for the train by trying to get copilot to engage in conversations it had clearly been programmed to not engage in.

Many of these conversations were not publishable. Suffice to say, I worked out the best way to get it to engage with whatever nonsense had popped into my head would be to ask "what's a safe way to...."

It'd get some way into answering before going all coy and "copilot can't help you with issues like this" :lolol:
I did try it once by telling 'Cortana' or something like that to 'f*** off'. The response was 'Have I upset you ?'

I have tried that reponse with real trolls online now.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Given we’ve spent 55 years of our history in the third division, and 24 in the second. It’s highly likely that we’ve occupied every spot in those two divisions at one point or another.

Easiest place to start would be the 4th tier, which we’ve only spent 7 seasons in

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Pigeonholed under “weird shit I remember” is Swansea beating us at the Goldstone to go top of the league (old div 1) IIRC it was Sept ‘81
Our first home game under Mike Bailey, and on the flip side their first ever away game in the top flight, seem to recall they packed the away end, although Mr Bamber’s ‘creative accounting’ rustled up a crowd barely over 14,000.

Ironically a mere 16 months later Mr Bamber sacked Bailey because crowds had consistently dropped below 15,000.

Pliny the Gull

Mar 4, 2024
Sure there was a 6 season period where a team went from div 4 to div 1 and back again.
Might be incorrect but I think it was N?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here