Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have the plastic fans taken over this club

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I hate being at a full Amex, would much rather be getting soaked and beaten at Withdean with the other diehards :rolleyes:

Actually ... l don't know if this was intended as a joke, but l know exactly what you mean. As small and unsuitable as Withdean was, it served us well for a long time. I loved our time there, small and intimate l really felt part of everything, closer to the players and closer to the Club in general. No JCR's at Withdean!, who else would be happy to get cold and soaked through every other Saturday unless they loved the Albion?. I guess the downside from moving into a brand new, all singing, all dancing 30,000 plus capacity stadium, is that in some ways, you become little more than a number.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Well I only went to the Withdean a handful of times because, frankly, I couldn't afford it. I was a student then, and I'm an adult with a job now. Now I can afford a season ticket, then I couldn't afford tickets to games at all really. Does that make me a plastic? Or a JCL? How many are in similar positions?

Apr 23, 2008
Shoreham
So what's your definition of plastic? If someone is paying to come watch the club, what more do they have to do to not be 'plastic' (which is the shittest phrase going). I've had a ST for 13 years and when I got my plum seats on the Half way line in WSU and bought 3 mates along with me I felt NO annoyance at it in the slightest. I don't care that they didn't sit there in the rain on a Tuesday night watching a 0-0 with Torquay or Cheltenham at an Athletics track. I'm delighted they want to come and watch their local team and pay to do so.

I've got good friends who never went to Withdean, never even would've considered it. They've got season tickets at the Amex and still claim to support United/Arsenal/Spurs.. They only go because of the success the club has been having recently. If we were to go back to struggling at the bottom of League One they wouldn't keep going.

I'm not really too fussed I just agree with the statement in the thread.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
We have always had a big floating surport which will come out for the big cup game or turn up near the end of the season ,however we now getting them to buy season tickets and bring the kids and this how we build our fan base so as long as they wear brighton shirts I don't give monkeys. Come on lets build the club ? And not:catfight::wrong::kiss:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Because of course The Goldstone was always jumping for 90 minutes. There isn't a single instance of the crowd being quiet back then - bloody JCRs have ruined The Amex for the real fans.
Yep, and we all know that PPF and the 50 people that match his ardent fan criteria make more noise than the 28,000 Albion fans at the Amex.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
seems to be a new breed appearing on the back of some success and the stadium , how longs it going to last, really do feel their only here for the ride, makes me sick at the sight of some of these types, you know there's no real commitment in them AND THEIR KILLING THE ATMOSPHERE,OVER REACTION ON MY PART .............................don't think so ???
regards
DR
Let me take a guess with this one DAS
It's 2:30 when you started this thread so that's a couple of beers down, got a bit bored in pub waiting for a few mates to turn up so I know let's have a bit of a wind up with the NSC to kill a bit of time :thumbsup:

Jan 30, 2008
What does piss me off is the fact that you have a lot of people at the Amex that never went to the Goldstone, Priestfield or Withdean they support Man Utd, Spurs, Chelski etc
but moan saying they cant afford their prices or they are just too plain lazy to go there every other week , never ever attend Brighton away matches and call themselves "loyal Brighton fans" WTF ?????
And no I'm not on about the new generation of kids and some others ETC supporting Albion thats great to see, you know exactly the sort of people I'm talking about !!!

Guess what YOUR NOT LOYAL FANS !! never have been, never will be !!
Tossers !!:tosser::tosser::tosser::tosser:
If things ever go badly wrong at Brighton (hopefuly they wont, but who knows) these so called fans that are loyal and spend money at Albion will soon disappear by the thousand !!!
Back to armchair viewing of Man Utd and the others.

RANT OVER !!!
top post Baz
regards
DR

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
I don't get the haterid for the newer fans from the ones who have supported the Albion for years and seen the club through rough times. I am 19, only followed the club for about 3 years and don't have a ST. I have been to more away games this season then home ones. Does that make me a bad fan? But do I still care about the club?

I don't get why some people don't want people putting their hard earned money into the club and supporting a team that we all love. Why is that such a bad thing? Just think, everyone on here were once a new fan, even if it was 40 years ago 'on a cold and windy night against Aldershot at the Goldstone.'

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
complete weirdo ???

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Well I only went to the Withdean a handful of times because, frankly, I couldn't afford it. I was a student then, and I'm an adult with a job now. Now I can afford a season ticket, then I couldn't afford tickets to games at all really. Does that make me a plastic? Or a JCL? How many are in similar positions?

Exactly the same here - pretty sure that doesn't make me a plastic fan! DR is fishing - blatantly a palace fan

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Or better still behind the goal at Gillingham in the third tier of football, ohhh how I miss those days!!!

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
Lots of JCL plastics down in the SE corner for the Wolves game. However, they pay their money the same as us grizzled died in the wool went to Hereford superfans, so best of British to them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here