Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have teams in our league worked us out?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I find it rather strange that this thread exists at all being four points clear with a game in hand and after Charlton, the divisions form side, could not beat us. If they couln't beat us 10 vs 11 then, I would say who cares if people worked us out if they still can't beat us. Remember, we've only lost twice all season.

It exists entirely understandably because - for whatever reason - we have not won in the last five games. We've won three points from the last 15. Surely you are not surprised that people are asking questions?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
KLL was an out and out winger and a great outlet whereas Bennett plays deeper and drifts inside more frequently. KLL could tie up two defenders creating space elsewhere. Hopefully Noone can do the same. Against Charlton, they had the man advantage and could therefore prevent Ankergren from passing to El Abd or Greer so we had to resort to long balls. Had Calde not been so dumb then even with the penalty, I believe we would have beaten Charlton.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I agree with this.

John Byrne on the phone in said a few weeks ago that teams had worked us out and just shut up shop and let us attack them and we couldnt break them down. If they attacked us they left holes at the back for us to exploit. Perhaps our transfer dealings in January will rectify that and make us sharper in front of goal if clubs do sit back and defend against us.

That is exactly what they are doing. It also shows the preparation that all teams do nowadays. They are also pressing our defence a bit more. Noone will give us the Lua Lua replacement with maybe (no disrespect to Lua Lua) a bit more repeatability and performance frequency match to match.

TNBA

TTF

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
It exists entirely understandably because - for whatever reason - we have not won in the last five games. We've won three points from the last 15. Surely you are not surprised that people are asking questions?

But the drop ın results coincides with us not being able to play two wingers. I think people have worked out how we play but that's a long way from being able to deal with it. The scummers game was a case in point... they pressed us everywhere and didn't give us time to play the passing game effectively. This lasted for about 25 mins when they started to tire... they couldn't keep up.. and arguably were lucky to get away without losing.

With a winger in and able to let Bennett go wide again we become a potent scoring power again. Add a striker to that who will score regularly and the game could be up for this season.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Unless they have very short memories, Charlton know how we play. And even with one more player they were unable to beat us. So, no is the answer to the question.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I think most teams have realised that they can't just go at us and need to sit back a bit, but at this level they simply don't have the discipline or the stamina to play the game for 90 minuyes without the ball. What we have to do is keep playing it our way, be patient when the breaks don't come quickly and make the most of games opening up in the last 20 minutes or so. I don't have any stats but I wouldn't be surprised if most of our best chances come very late on in the half / match as the other side start to get a bit tired from chasing the ball down.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
It is very amusing how other clubs fans are sure we will drop off.

Taking chances is the key for us. We always create them and I expect more so with a left winger.

We may of been a suprise early doors but when we are good, we are very good and no amount of planning and "working us out" can stop us.

Play our game is the message !

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Indeed, for some reason, I never recall the Hartlepool game. Still 3 defeats in 20 isn't bad in a division thats "worked us out"

Rather than being "worked out" I just think playing a team in Blue and White stripes confuses us :lolol:

EDIT - I should have read the rest of the thread before pointing out something that BG has already done so :facepalm:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
We do have Plan B, witness Peterborough away, its just that because of Lua Lua's injury Plan A went a bit wrong. Now with Noone we have two different styles of play and teams will be on back foot again wondering how we are going to play, 2 wingers or narrow midfield with Bennett/Noone wandering. Its all good

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
If there's one thing that teams may have worked out it's that we don't start very quickly. We try to play it slowly at first and this doesn't always fit in with the opposition pressing us hard. Recently we've had a very uncomfortable first 15 mins (Hudds, SCC and now Charlton) although luckily we only conceded once it that time.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
I loved it in the first half on Wednesday when Ankegren had the ball and just stood there inviting Charlton to come and get it. They were so confused, did not know what to do.

Even with 10 men we stick mostly to the principles that Gus has instilled in them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here