Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have Chelsea ruined the Euro 2012's?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Pep Guardiola: 'If football is about counting possession we would win every game. The game is about putting the football in the goal.'

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Except in the semi final :wink:
They seem to have won quite a lot in recent years though. Reading that quote literally would leave you thinking they always kept the ball well, but didn't score enough and were consequently unsuccessful, which isn't the case.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
They seem to have won quite a lot in recent years though. Reading that quote literally would leave you thinking they always kept the ball well, but didn't score enough and were consequently unsuccessful, which isn't the case.

They were rubbish... how many did Messi score? 10? 11? :lol:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

I disagree. Reading that quote simply provides a reminder for all those who romanticise Barca's possession play that even for them, possession is merely 'means' to the 'end' of scoring.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Technically superior and passing the ball about are two separate things.
True, but the first facilitates the second.

Chelsea were technically superior to Barca in the semis. The two bits of genuine world class technical football in those games came from Chelsea (Lampard's SUBLIME first touch outside of boot ball out to Ramires to set up Drogba, and Ramires' phenomenal lob considering the pressure at that moment), so by your logic you were glad they went through, I assume?

I don't want to get involved in a semantic argument; I think you know what I mean. If I had to pay money to watch either Barca, Bayern or Chelsea on a regular basis, based on the semi-final performances, I'd spend my hard earned on the first two.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
In years to come, the record books will show that Chelsea won the European Cup. The same way that they will show Greece won the Euro's ( by parking the bus ) Forest won the European Cup ( by parking the bus ) and Sunderland won the FA Cup against the then mighty Leeds ( by parking the bus ).
The manner does not matter. Had we parked the bus in 83 v United after Gordon Smith had given us the lead and gone on to win 1-0, I would gladly have died and gone to heaven, there and then. WE WOULD HAVE WON AND NO-ONE COULD HAVE TAKEN IT AWAY FROM US.
You can play all the fancy, attractive football in the world but if you don't score one more goal than the opposition, it counts for nothing.
All these teams had one thing in common...they were big underdogs. Through grit, determination, will to win, team spirit, organisation and moments of class, they pulled through.
Chelsea's performances were some of the most memorable in European history. 3-1 down to Napoli and written off, they came back and won the tie. They were being battered in the cauldron of the Nou Camp, 2-0 down, yet they ended up undefeated over two legs against the best club side in the world. Against all the odds, they won the trophy.
They held their nerve, didn't panic and were deserved winners and if England park the bus in the Euro's and win, fair play to them.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
In years to come, the record books will show that Chelsea won the European Cup. The same way that they will show Greece won the Euro's ( by parking the bus ) Forest won the European Cup ( by parking the bus ) and Sunderland won the FA Cup against the then mighty Leeds ( by parking the bus ).
The manner does not matter. Had we parked the bus in 83 v United after Gordon Smith had given us the lead and gone on to win 1-0, I would gladly have died and gone to heaven, there and then. WE WOULD HAVE WON AND NO-ONE COULD HAVE TAKEN IT AWAY FROM US.
You can play all the fancy, attractive football in the world but if you don't score one more goal than the opposition, it counts for nothing.
All these teams had one thing in common...they were big underdogs. Through grit, determination, will to win, team spirit, organisation and moments of class, they pulled through.
Chelsea's performances were some of the most memorable in European history. 3-1 down to Napoli and written off, they came back and won the tie. They were being battered in the cauldron of the Nou Camp, 2-0 down, yet they ended up undefeated over two legs against the best club side in the world. Against all the odds, they won the trophy.
They held their nerve, didn't panic and were deserved winners and if England park the bus in the Euro's and win, fair play to them.

Agreed. I'd also add Arsenal's European Cup Winners' Cup Final performance against Parma in the 1990s as another magnificent parking the bus performance that sticks in the memory.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Maybe Lampard, Cole and Terry could teach their bus-parking tactics to the rest of the team. Don't get me wrong, its not sexy football. But, if it results in England getting to the Semis, I would be happy.

Don't forget Cahill he was part of it as well.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
in danger of bringing the thread back to the orginal question...Have Chelsea ruined the Euro 2012's?......

i think it is the opposite - especially for England fans (and maybe ruined it for UFEA/Platini who would prefer England not to be there apart from the big spending fans)

it has shown the art of good defending can help win games (2 english defenders on the pitch and one with his boots & kit all ready to go)

it has shown the never say die bulldog spirt is critcal - not over til the final whistle

it has shown that german players / teams can lose in penalty shot-outs

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The new era of anti-football.

Thank god we have Gus.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
True, but the first facilitates the second.

I don't want to get involved in a semantic argument; I think you know what I mean. If I had to pay money to watch either Barca, Bayern or Chelsea on a regular basis, based on the semi-final performances, I'd spend my hard earned on the first two.

I understand; but I don't buy for a second that Chelsea played "anti-football" to get to the final. Quite the opposite. They played the game of football very, very well.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
More than one way to skin a cat. Similarly, more than one way to play football. There is no 'wrong' or 'right' approach to play football. When it mattered Chelsea showed they can play an effective attacking game (v Napoli in the 2nd leg) and an effective counter-attacking game, which is why they are deservedly winners in the competition.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I understand; but I don't buy for a second that Chelsea played "anti-football" to get to the final. Quite the opposite. They played the game of football very, very well.

My anti-football comment was aimed at the bulldog spirit/backs to the wall/Carole can do a job/never say die posts which have appeared in this thread. Also, I do not want to take anything away from Chelsea. But, all things considered I prefer to watch a different style of football. Defending for long periods and playing on the break is not the football I wish to watch. The German national team have the right balance of graft and guile and this is what I think England and our teams should aspire to.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
My anti-football comment was aimed at the bulldog spirit/backs to the wall/Carole can do a job/never say die posts which have appeared in this thread. Also, I do not want to take anything away from Chelsea. But, all things considered I prefer to watch a different style of football. Defending for long periods and playing on the break is not the football I wish to watch. The German national team have the right balance of graft and guile and this is what I think England and our teams should aspire to.

Can't really disagree with any of that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can't really disagree with any of that.

Changing the subject slightly I did chuckle at the Guardian headline which said the Bayern "partied like it was 1999."

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Changing the subject slightly I did chuckle at the Guardian headline which said the Bayern "partied like it was 1999."

That's brilliant. Bayern really threw it away this season, didn't they?

2nd in the table to Dortmund
Lost German Cup final to Dortmund
Lost Champs League in their own ground.

Oof.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here