Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hats off to the cyclists - Still pouring into town at 5.30 down by the Steine.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Yes I think its got a bit too big for itself, the current breed seem to have a lot of "get to Brighton as fast as they can and sod everyone else"!!

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
For the record I've done it a couple of times, starting at 06:30 and finishing around midday but with 3 stops (about 20 mins each) on the way.

tube train

Sep 10, 2009
we left london around 8.30, lost loads of time in the first ten miles with problems and just endless people everywhere but finished about 2.30 and completed the beacon, pretty pleased as a team though knew i could push harder on my own.. still its not a race and it was a great day.

next time i would have an earlier start time for sure

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
I did it once, 2 years ago and i walked up all the big hills, not a chance of riding up them. It was my first ride over any meaningfull distance since i finished doing my paper round 45 years ago, and i did it in 6 hours 46, and was bloody proud of myself for doing it.
It's not a battle with others to finish the fastest, it's a battle with yourself to finish at all.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was suprised about the number of nobs taking the piss out of the slower riders and abusing them for slowing their progess. Yes it is common sense to keep left if you are walking a hill but not acceptable to call someone a for **** it! It's meant to be a charity ride, not a race and really no need to get so angry and upset. Thought there was gonna be fight at the first big hill. I've done more running than cycling and would say the atmosphere was 10 times better at marathons etc. Felt a bit embarassed to be part of it as riders ignored marshalls and police to gain few seconds.
You are quite right, it's a shame my kind treat it as anything other than a charity fun ride.
The problem being, the level of organisation, road closures, etc makes it to good an opportunity to miss.

The first time I did it, I was just 'dipping my toe' back into cycling.
The second time, was because I knew I could, and wanted to ride it sub 3hrs.

I saw a few scary moments, made worse by the fact a decent road bike won't leave much change from 2k.

gingertom

Jan 14, 2010
I work up in West London and cycle up in the morning, it's a sub 4 hour ride. Getting up @ 5 am is the hard part but the ride's not exactly difficult.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Harder going up, than it ever is coming back.

tube train

Sep 10, 2009
The only thing i will say in defense of slow rides upsetting faster one...1 in the marathon you have penns so people should run with people of their standard at least thats the idea. 2 and only time i got annoyed with slower riders was when they did stupid dangerous things like turn without looking or stop on a hill without being aware of what is around them.. i saw 2 big crashes due to this ... im a massive fun of charity events and getting everyone involved but i do think safety has to be considered considering the nunber of riders. Again safety isnt as important running as on bikes due to speeds etc this might account for some negativity. I wouldnt say im the best cycles or some pro but i always think of others and put myself in the right position... cause people have a bike doesnt mean they can cycle

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I did it once, 2 years ago and i walked up all the big hills, not a chance of riding up them. It was my first ride over any meaningfull distance since i finished doing my paper round 45 years ago, and i did it in 6 hours 46, and was bloody proud of myself for doing it.
It's not a battle with others to finish the fastest, it's a battle with yourself to finish at all.

That must have been a lot of papers, how did you get any school work done. Mine only took 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour, depending on how much paper reading I did. :hilton:

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I bumped into a man with bha shorts on and had an impromptu chat with him (just after the M25, M23 crossing I think). His gears had been knocked off and he had to wait for L2B support to help fix them. Anyway turned out he was Adam El A's brother in law. Very nice bloke and hope he got his bike fixed and enjoyed the rest of the ride home.

Firingblanks1

Oct 4, 2004
North Portslade actually
BensGrandad, you really are a miserable old git, who seems to have it in for all cyclists. 27,000 cyclists raising bags loads of cash for the British Heart Foundation and all you can comment on is the legality of a number plate. You are a wanker of the highest order!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
BensGrandad, you really are a miserable old git, who seems to have it in for all cyclists. 27,000 cyclists raising bags loads of cash for the British Heart Foundation and all you can comment on is the legality of a number plate. You are a wanker of the highest order!

TBH, I was nearly killed by a lycra clad kamikaze cyclist as I crossed a pedestrian crossing when the lights were clearly red for ALL road traffic. For having the temerity to dare slow his velocity for a few seconds, I also received a volley of foul abuse. Thus proving not all cyclists are sinned against genteel eco warriors..... there are also some prize twats amongst them.

Firingblanks1

Oct 4, 2004
North Portslade actually
Vegster, pratts ride cycles and pratts drive cars. Difference is, pratts in cars kill people......cyclists seldom do. BensGrandad, is a wanker of the highest order who just seems to slag off cyclists for sport and just encourages prejudice against cyclists.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here