Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Hating' the Premier League

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I would probably sum up my own view of the Premier League as appreciating the players and much of the football on show, but regretting the 'rich become richer' divide it has caused or worsened in this country's football.

But I read a lot of comments on here about how the PL is nothing but a disgrace, everyone involved with it are money-grabbing arrogant scum, the Championship is the real place for football etc etc. I wouldn't even say this was a minority, I'd say it was a majority.

So what are these Brighton fans going to say and do if we ever do get promoted - because it could well happen in the next couple of seasons.

Will your hatred of the Premier League suddenly disappear if we were in it, and playing in the top tier against the best teams every week?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not really that bothered about it but when we get there we will need to be upping the ante with players but I am sure Gus will not change the style we play.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I hope we follow Blackpool's model.....get promoted, spend nothing, bank the money, secure the club financially, remain competitive in the Championship. Milk the PL like the cash cow it is!

:moo:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It's a difficult one in a way. I love the Championship, it's incredibly open and a lot of teams will feel they have a chance to achieve something. Realistically, that's not the case in the Premier League and whilst you get to test yourselves against the top 5, there are also a lot of clubs who are doing nothing and going absolutely nowhere as well. Another thing to consider, in the Championship you have something to build for, and it's a realistic ambition. In the Premier League it's impossible to break into that top 5 without spending close to the cost of our home within a 2/3 year period to get on par.

But the Premier League is the place to be.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would not say I hate it. I do not think it is as good as they would have you believe and I dislike very average players and agents being paid obscene amounts of money. That said I rarely bother watching it so it doesn't really affect me. I have the odd chuckle watching the national team from time to time though.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
It's a difficult one in a way. I love the Championship, it's incredibly open and a lot of teams will feel they have a chance to achieve something. Realistically, that's not the case in the Premier League and whilst you get to test yourselves against the top 5, there are also a lot of clubs who are doing nothing and going absolutely nowhere as well. Another thing to consider, in the Championship you have something to build for, and it's a realistic ambition. In the Premier League it's impossible to break into that top 5 without spending close to the cost of our home within a 2/3 year period to get on par.

But the Premier League is the place to be.

That my friend, is absolutely spot on. The prem has 3 leagues....the top 6. the middle 6 and the bottom 6. You will be fighting mini battles every season and usually, the more you've invested, the better you'll do.

I loved the championship but the feeling of getting back to the prem is just awesome....and a little scary !!!!!

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I would probably sum up my own view of the Premier League as appreciating the players and much of the football on show, but regretting the 'rich become richer' divide it has caused or worsened in this country's football.

But I read a lot of comments on here about how the PL is nothing but a disgrace, everyone involved with it are money-grabbing arrogant scum, the Championship is the real place for football etc etc. I wouldn't even say this was a minority, I'd say it was a majority.

So what are these Brighton fans going to say and do if we ever do get promoted - because it could well happen in the next couple of seasons.

Will your hatred of the Premier League suddenly disappear if we were in it, and playing in the top tier against the best teams every week?

Decent point,trouble is the EPL is shallow when matched up to our Olympians. ENG 0 TEAM GB 29

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Think it's mostly quite childish, some of it IS jealousy and referring to it as the "Premiershit" is embarrassing. Watch a lot of people backtrack massively in that regard once we're established up there.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Watch a lot of people backtrack massively in that regard once we're established up there.

That is what I expect to happen, if we ever manage it.

It is a tricky one, because in many ways it clearly isn't good for a football club. But who wouldn't want to play at the highest level?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The prem has 3 leagues....the top 6. the middle 6 and the bottom 6

This is only 18. What about the other 2?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
The current league table sums up the Premiership - the top 4 will stay there all season in there own mini league, which lets face it City will win again as they have an unbelievable squad.

Total points to win the Premier League will probably exceed 90 which in a 38 game season is far too much. The same points tally in the Championship will get you very close to the title in a 46 game season which shows how unpredictable and tight the league is.

Another example Peterborough were probably the betting outsiders before the season started you could get 50/1 on them winning the league. Whereas the 6th favourites in the Premier League Spurs were going out at 50/1 with one bookmaker, and anyone outside the top ten would be around 500/1 or more.

Unfortunately with a near monopoly of the Champion League spots the top sides keep getting further and further away from the rest of the field, meaning that too many fixtures are meaningless between teams in positions 6-15.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I hope we follow Blackpool's model.....get promoted, spend nothing, bank the money, secure the club financially, remain competitive in the Championship. Milk the PL like the cash cow it is!

:moo:

They didn't. The chairman paid himself a bonus of £11 million and twelve months later they cannot even afford Steven Dobbie.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
They didn't. The chairman paid himself a bonus of £11 million and twelve months later they cannot even afford Steven Dobbie.
I hope Bloom does the same, the loan needs repaying. Blackpool are as competitive this year as last, they'll be up there again at the end of the season....that model would suit me.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
The current league table sums up the Premiership - the top 4 will stay there all season in there own mini league, which lets face it City will win again as they have an unbelievable squad.

Total points to win the Premier League will probably exceed 90 which in a 38 game season is far too much. The same points tally in the Championship will get you very close to the title in a 46 game season which shows how unpredictable and tight the league is.

Another example Peterborough were probably the betting outsiders before the season started you could get 50/1 on them winning the league. Whereas the 6th favourites in the Premier League Spurs were going out at 50/1 with one bookmaker, and anyone outside the top ten would be around 500/1 or more.

Unfortunately with a near monopoly of the Champion League spots the top sides keep getting further and further away from the rest of the field, meaning that too many fixtures are meaningless between teams in positions 6-15.

Sad but true

boik

I must admit that the last time we went up to the top flight I found it a real anticlimax. Drove all the way up to Newcastle, deliriously happy when it finally happened, and yet once there there was quickly the feeling of "is this it?". I guess the excitement of trying to win something just always beats the feeling of trying not to lose.

Obviously we should go balls out to try and get there again, but I don't believe the premiership streets are paved with gold for us smaller clubs.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I must admit that the last time we went up to the top flight I found it a real anticlimax. Drove all the way up to Newcastle, deliriously happy when it finally happened, and yet once there there was quickly the feeling of "is this it?". I guess the excitement of trying to win something just always beats the feeling of trying not to lose.

Obviously we should go balls out to try and get there again, but I don't believe the premiership streets are paved with gold for us smaller clubs.

Fair comments. Most of the teams seem to have the sole ambition of not getting relegated. Exciting eh?

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
Fair comments. Most of the teams seem to have the sole ambition of not getting relegated. Exciting eh?

When you're drawing with Stoke in the 87th minute in the penultimate game of the season and staring relegation in the face as Bolton are winning and in the space of 2 minutes, you score, they concede and all of a sudden you've got hope, yes it's exciting.

Last game of the season and you're back in the relegation zone at half time, you're 2-1 up going into time added on at Man City and you lose 3-2 and for a short while you don't know the score from the Bolton game, that's squeaky bum time and yes it's exciting.

When you have a local derby full of hatred, venom, blood, guts and thunder and you put in a performance as we did yesterday (ignore the biased shit on MOTD), yes it's exciting.

We've signed players we could only have dreamed about even last year and we're looking at a new ground hopefully not too far from where we are now.

Last season we beat Ch***ea, Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal and Spurs.

Yes it's exciting.:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here