Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hated American Expressions that have arrived over here...

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
clapham_gull said:
YES - I REALLY REALLY HATE THAT

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

but - the one that REALLY GETS ME is when instead of saying "That's odd", they say "random....!"

EVERYONE IS SAYING IT IN LONDON

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Is "weird" acceptable?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I find myself slipping into it sometimes and I AM FULL OF SELF HATRED, you know, kind of like I want to, you know, like check out some therapy.

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
I said "the big picture" the other day in a meeting, i knew it was coming i just couldnt avoid it.

thankfully i have never said:-

"step up to the plate"
"push the evelope"
"think outside the box"

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I detest the yanks spelling of the word mum....they spell it either mom or mam and boy that fucks me off.

As mentioned, mayo bloody annoys me too (not the player !!!)

And anyone who uses the Australiaism "thisarvo" instead of this afternoon should have their f***ing fingernails pulled out.

Mind you, the text message i got from my 16 year old step daughter was blinding.......

"wen i gt bk 2 skol il hav 2 get da bus den walk so duno wat time il be bk"

It's martian talk i'm sure of it !!! :angry:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I've heard this both here and in the US, so I'm not sure where it originated, but I'm going to nominate the f***ing annoying practice of saying "like" as every other word of the sentence, and not usually in the way it's meant to be used either.

"That was, like, well annoying"

So what just happened wasn't actually annoying in and of itself, it was just LIKE/SIMILAR TO something that is annoying?

:angry: :angry: :angry: :censored:

Last edited:

jevs said:
I detest the yanks spelling of the word mum....they spell it either mom or mam and boy that fucks me off.

"wen i gt bk 2 skol il hav 2 get da bus den walk so duno wat time il be bk"

It's martian talk i'm sure of it !!! :angry:

Well, your natural use of 'boy' was also an Americanism, buddy! :lolol:

And the bit from your daughter was less American than English, it looks suspiciously to me like 'chavspeak'! :O

Y'all LURVE them quaint sayin's, people, and gad-dang it, you'll be callin' it like it is from here on in. Darrrn tootin'.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Gilliver's Travels said:
Rather than being some kind of pivotal moment, I think that's the
How so inferior to our very English reported speech vernacular: "So I goes - ... then he goes .... "
If we're going to slag our own ones off, a few of my mates used to really piss me off by constantly using the word 'time'. "I haven't been there for time" or "I haven't seen him for time". HOW MUCH TIME YOU TWAT, 5 seconds? 5 years?
Another one that the same people say all the time is 'well alright', which gets on my tits even more. "That's well alright". So it's not actually that good then is it? COCK.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here