Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hate seeing her smoke, love seeing her happy.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
2 and half months since I quit now... Once I'd stopped counting the days since I had stopped that was good enough for me to know that the battle was won for me..

After 30 years of 20+ per day I can honestly say I wish I'd done it a long time ago and I have to add, quitting was a walk in the park with the amount of will power I had to do achieve my aim! They say that you cannot consider yourself a non smoker until you have gone a year without a smoke.. Not sure I believe that because I know already that I will never have another smoke.

I still get the odd pang but even they're getting fewer, further apart and weaker.. An old cliche I know but, if I can do it, anyone can!

Good luck to anyone else wanting/trying to get off the weed.

My wife is still smoking and I hope she also quits ASAP but I haven't mentioned anything to her... I hope she just follows my example sometime soon, but it's her choice... You can't make someone do something that they don't want to and if you try then I think you'll lose the battle!

Last edited:

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
It is v.hard to quit. I tried cutting down a few times, managed to get from 30 - 10 a day and back up a few times. Buying a new house eventually gave me the push. Used patches for about 2 weeks, had a summer job doing gardening, so I could self flagellate and generally distract my self as and when required. I was also due to start a MSc and new that there was no chance of quitting whilst doing that.

I guess you could try and find an alternative item, roughly cigarette shaped that she can keep putting in her mouth to keep her amused. If you struggle to locate one, I believe I have one that's just hanging about at the moment.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Anyway the answer to the OP is get her a good (ie. Not cheap) electric cigarette. I went with Green Smoke about 3 months ago and its almist identical to smoking bar the smell, foul taste, and feeling rank after smoking it. I have also found im smoking only a third as much as with real cigs.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
my other half has tried several times and this time 6 months ago nearly done it until we found out one of the family had the big C and she started again .
she is now on totally wicked its a nicotine vapour (you will have to look it up on Google) and if you are anywhere near Eastbourne they sell it in the Enterprise Centre near the station
they might explain how it works better than me but I can tell you this its cleaner,cheaper and they have a wall filled with the comments of people that have given up.
my other half is going to give this up when the family member has stopped her chemo (November) and the arrival of a Greatgranddaughter/son might help too!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Thanks for the advice chaps.

Not going to dump her as she is stunningly good-looking and it's an otherwise amazing relationship.

We've been together for 3 and a half years and shes cut down massively. Just need to find a way to help with that final push.. Will try the e-cig idea and see how it goes. It's only 'social' now so I think it's time to stub it out for good.

Get a life insurance policy on her, she can't have long left.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Won't she get fat if she gives up smoking?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
What is it with you and your ongoing "gggggrrrrrrr" attitude towards someone you've never met and don't know?

If you like having smoke blown up your arse then fine but I really don't enjoy seeing users embarrass themselves by sucking up to the "boss". I have noticed it alot lately, hence my comment, which I don't think was particularly grrr anyway.

As for the grrrr attitude, I enjoy a reasonable set-too on here like alot of people, will tell people if I think they are being a bit of a dick, and am not shy in giving my opinion on things. Surely the lifeblood of any decent web forum no?

Happy Birthday btw.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Want to convince GF to quit smoking. Advise please NSC!

You should have asked yourself the question "can I stand to be in a relationship with a smoker?" before you got into a elationship. Too bloody late pal. You've made your choice, let her make hers.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You've made your choice, let her make hers.

Ultimately that's it, yes. We shouldn't expect others to change because of what we believe. If she wants to stop, she will. If you don't want to be with a smoker, you won't.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Get a life insurance policy on her, she can't have long left.

Oh come on. She statistically has 50-55 years left even as a smoker. Smokers on 20 a day all their lives live on average 7 years less. Now there is a decent chance she would live to 85 normally so late 70's.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You should have asked yourself the question "can I stand to be in a relationship with a smoker?" before you got into a elationship. Too bloody late pal. You've made your choice, let her make hers.

This. Accept people for who they are not what you want them to be. There is nothing worse than being a santimonious bore telling everyone what they should and shouldn't do.

My advise is you don't like the smell or the taste on her lips is to stop being so bloody selfish and start smoking yourself.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Oh come on. She statistically has 50-65 years left even as a smoker. Smokers on 20 a day all their lives live on average 7 years less. Now there is a decent chance she would live to 85 normally so late 70's.

Well, unless she gets cancer and dies a painful, rgerettable death at the age of 55.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Well, unless she gets cancer and dies a painful, rgerettable death at the age of 55.

Yes, I am talking of stats. I have known of many people who have died young before they are 60 and they all had one thing in common, none of them smoked. I am not saying smoking is good for you , I am not that deluded but life for me is random chaos. There is no ryhme or reason to anything that ever happens on this earth, ever and that is a fact.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Smokers have a drastically reduced quality of life....and that is a fact.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Smokers have a drastically reduced quality of life....and that is a fact.

Depends what you mean. Physically, maybe. Lots of people have a drastically reduced quality of life who have never smoked a cigarette for a multitude of reasons as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here