Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hastings Car Insurance - **** Off

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I have to say I was very surprised by my renewal quote from Elephant last year, I had already done a bit of shopping around to try and find the best deal to move to when they sent the renewal through. Much to my shock the quote they sent me was actually £5 cheaper than any other quote I had come across, so all my searching wasn't needed.

I'm sure this is quite a rare event

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Because a broker will do the best deal for himself commission wise, rather that the best deal for you.
He is not going to offer you a company that is the cheapest but offers no commission for himself is he.

That's not true. Car Insurance commission is set at 10% for most policies. Some Insurers offer higher commission policies like 12.5% but we hardly ever use these as Car Insurance is so cut throat and it hard enough getting the business as it is!

As the earlier chap said if you use a broker they will search each year for you as we would rather keep the business than lose it for a few pounds extra commission.

Going back to someone else's comment about breakdown £200 or £75 :laugh: we sell it at £40.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I'm afraid I'll have to buck the trend here. I renewed the missus car insurance on Saturday. eSure's renewal notice = £197. eSure online price = £215. Cheapest elsewhere 220-something. Mentioned this to the guy on the phone as normally I've had to use a company's own web price as a bargaining tool to get the reneal quote down. He said that they'd actually lost some customers over this in the past and now give the best price they can to both new and existing customers.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
That's not true. Car Insurance commission is set at 10% for most policies. Some Insurers offer higher commission policies like 12.5% but we hardly ever use these as Car Insurance is so cut throat and it hard enough getting the business as it is!

As the earlier chap said if you use a broker they will search each year for you as we would rather keep the business than lose it for a few pounds extra commission.

Going back to someone else's comment about breakdown £200 or £75 :laugh: we sell it at £40.

So if i go online and get a quote from one of the comparison sites, then tell the broker what deal i can get, he will then be able to offer me the same price, but also get 10% for himself from the same company ?

No did'nt think so.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I'm afraid I'll have to buck the trend here. I renewed the missus car insurance on Saturday. eSure's renewal notice = £197. eSure online price = £215. Cheapest elsewhere 220-something. Mentioned this to the guy on the phone as normally I've had to use a company's own web price as a bargaining tool to get the reneal quote down. He said that they'd actually lost some customers over this in the past and now give the best price they can to both new and existing customers.

I've got to reinforce that. My missus is the main driver so we went with Diamond last year. When we got the renewal quote I was assuming that it would be a lot more than everyone else, but it came back at less than I had found on the internet.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
So if i go online and get a quote from one of the comparison sites, then tell the broker what deal i can get, he will then be able to offer me the same price, but also get 10% for himself from the same company ?

No did'nt think so.

Do you think price comparison sites do it for nothing? They are just brokers with the only difference being you do all the work!

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
Dougdeep - I would recommend that as a one off exercise, you do your own search via the comparison sites, check Quidco to see how much cashback you can earn, then compare that to the quote your Broker offers you. If you prove yourself right, great, but if you prove yourself wrong then that's even better for you innit!

Re Co Op - hope you also picked up the £55 cashback available from Quidco?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
f***ing THEIVING BASTARDS!

Checked Mrs P's bank account today and they've taken the fugging direct debit again this month despite her cancelling the policy in writing.

Half an hour on the phone for them to eventually apologise and say they'll send her a cheque.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Checked Mrs P's bank account today and they've taken the fugging direct debit again this month despite her cancelling the policy in writing.

Half an hour on the phone for them to eventually apologise and say they'll send her a cheque.

Moral of the story - ALWAYS CANCEL THE DIRECT DEBIT !

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Its probably not actually the Insurance Companies fault I think its the responsibilty of the bank account holder to cancel a direct debit.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I went to renew mine and decided to check all the online sites including the AA (utter joke) and DirectLine (also not funny). Believe it or not, despite their previously annoying adverts Confused.com gave me a quote that was 30% cheaper than anybody else.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Cancelled the DD online on Saturday - money went out on Tuesday. All a bit odd if you ask me.

The bank need to refund you then as per the DD guarantee.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here