Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has there ever been a team more unlikely to score a goal from a corner than us?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I don't know the stats but it seems to me in recent matches we have had 10-15 corners per game and have scored absolutely no goals from them. In fact we now seem to be resorting to constantly trying alternative corners to make up for the lack of height or ability to get a head on it.

How many corners is it since we scored from one and are we edging towards a record.

And is there an answer to it?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I don't know the stats but it seems to me in recent matches we have had 10-15 corners per game and have scored absolutely no goals from them. In fact we now seem to be resorting to constantly trying alternative corners to make up for the lack of height or ability to get a head on it.

How many corners is it since we scored from one and are we edging towards a record.

The last one was Abd at Millwall, so however many coners we've had since then, which is a lot.

We may as well kick the ball straight to their keeper so we can get the ball back quicker.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I can think of two goals we've scored from corners this season - Greer at Burnley and El-Abd at Millwall.

Yep two. When in reality you shouild be struggling to think due to the fact that there *should" be many.

The fact that they are RARE is why they are remembered.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
We've had 118 corners this season in the league and only TWO of them have produced a goal, and one of those was fortunate after the ball kindly dropped for El-Abd.

ONE headed goal from 118 corners. ONE. It's been over 70 corners since our last goal from one.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
118 corners is insane.

To be fair though that says something about our game if we are creating that many chances.

I was thinking during the game last night, with teams packing their own half and shutting up shop, the opposition seem to get their head on everything we put in the box, so - we should be drilling crosses low - take height out of the equation.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
We've had 118 corners this season in the league and only TWO of them have produced a goal, and one of those was fortunate after the ball kindly dropped for El-Abd.

ONE headed goal from 118 corners. ONE. It's been over 70 corners since our last goal from one.

All we need now is Acker to look at the other teams in this Division otherwise whilst this stat sounds shocking its pretty meaningluss if other teams have been so profligate from corners.

It's my fault I'm afraid, every time we get a corner I turn to my mate and tell him "We're crap at corners" last night I even tried not saying it but alas, we are indeed crap at corners.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
All we need now is Acker to look at the other teams in this Division otherwise whilst this stat sounds shocking its pretty meaningluss if other teams have been so profligate from corners.

That would make an interesting comparison. My Leeds mate says they never score from corners either. On the basis we don't concede much from corners either maybe sides in the championship are just shit at scoring from corners, or very good at defending them!!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
surely the whole point of having big lads on the pitch is the possibillity that they might be able to get the nut on the ball.....appart from greer and hammond we have what i would call a small team......the fact that orlandi didn't header" that "chance against leeds was an underlining of how shit we are in the air......let's face it ...... we are....a big man is needed up front (again)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think the big pole should go up for corners, swap the goalie to someone else in the team every time we get a corner. Has a team ever done that? Is it allowed?

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Teams aren't afraid to give us corners. The only real option we have is to play it short and try work it into the box.. If Dunk could head the ball it would greatly improve his chance of being in the starting lineup.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
This bit is quite telling too:

"The data show that, on average, about 20.5% of all corners (that's 1 in 5) led to a shot by the team that took the corner within three touches of the ball. There also is considerable variation across clubs on this. At the low end, some of the very best clubs in the league managed relatively few shots - about 1 to 1.5 in 10 - relative to the number of corners they produced. In contrast, some of the worst teams in the league produced a relatively high number of shots in the aftermath of corners (Chelsea is the exception), at a rate of 1 in 4 or even 1 in 3 (West Ham and Stoke)."

It highlights the style of football we are playing is never going to yield a lot from corners.

Maverick

Jun 1, 2011
lol - just giggling to myself imagining all our players running back to their normal positions at a corner, the opposition team wouldnt know what to do as Buckley just runs up and kicks it straight out for a goal kick. lol. Simple things and all that..

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
We were talking about this last night. Here's what I suggest for the training ground:

1 Work on the nearpost flick-on routine. A ball fired in so someone can nudge it on (either head or backheel) can often cause panic in the six yard box. Then just needs someone to get a toe on it.
2 Use the two-player approach more often. Eg Orlandi passing it back to Bruno/Bridge, who then whips a low ball in from a better angle, looking for someone to get something on it. Or have someone lurking around 20/25 yards out and let them have a pop.

We aren't going to threaten at corners with our current squad, and while delivery tends towards high floating balls in rather than lower inswingers. Better to mix it up a bit and see if we get more joy that way. Makes sense to me :jester:

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
We were talking about this last night. Here's what I suggest for the training ground:

1 Work on the nearpost flick-on routine. A ball fired in so someone can nudge it on (either head or backheel) can often cause panic in the six yard box. Then just needs someone to get a toe on it.
2 Use the two-player approach more often. Eg Orlandi passing it back to Bruno/Bridge, who then whips a low ball in from a better angle, looking for someone to get something on it. Or have someone lurking around 20/25 yards out and let them have a pop.

We aren't going to threaten at corners with our current squad, and while delivery tends towards high floating balls in rather than lower inswingers. Better to mix it up a bit and see if we get more joy that way. Makes sense to me :jester:

Wally Gould

Jul 10, 2011

The answer could be to vary the cross sometimes. A ball to the far post would make a change as long as we have someone coming in to nod it in. There always seems to be lots of space around that area.

Wally Gould

Jul 10, 2011

The answer could be to vary the cross sometimes. A ball to the far post would make a change as long as we have someone coming in to nod it in. There always seems to be lots of space around that area.:amex:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here