Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has The Phone-In Had Its Day?

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
The most depressing part of the phone in, for my money, is the endless series of utterly trivial and banal texts that the 'domestic goddess' has to read out.

If we win it's "Well done lads, another three points. And that's from Ricky". Otherwise it's "And from Phil in Hove: We need some strikers, Knight must go ".

I mean, what's the point? I have never yet heard one genuinely interesting or worthwhile text read out. Ever.

Well phone me from Crete on Tuesday and we'll ring you straight back..........

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
That 'Norman Gall bloke' is what can truly be described as a Brighton Legend of the past and whilst he may not be the best summariser about deserves the utmost respect from all BHA fans.

As a player yes but as a summeriser....................... he`s embarrasing.

He stated on saturday that one of our players had done a good kick.
Please.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
As a player yes but as a summeriser....................... he`s embarrasing.

He stated on saturday that one of our players had done a good kick.
Please.

Oh no....you have posted something I agree with!!! He is dreadful....

Just for the record though, Harty does a super Job.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
To answer the question. NO!

I regard it as essential listening even though sometimes it drives me mad. Hearing what the manager and players have to say is always entertaining.
Hearing what others think about the game is also worthwhile. I must confess that of all the contributers I do think Dave The Gaffer comes over very well and is all the better for sometimes having a different view point to Harty.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I can't listen to it because it feels like it's rotting my brain. It's a bit idiotic all round. The screening and presentation aren't thoughtful or sharp enough and the callers are often incoherant (though this may have something to do with the screening, as I said.) The reason TalkSport is good (in small doses) is because it's snappy and the presenters often seem to think before they speak to find different angles to the most obvious thing which comes into their head. A bit of basic media training could help. I also thought Ferret was a natural on there and the ding-dongs he had with Harty came across as very natural and sharp, whereas I often feel Ian is just saying things to try and squeeze controversy out of things, and it's really obvious when this is forced.

(This isn't a pop at anyone - I love Harty, Dave and everyone else involved and I'm sure it's an incredibly tough call - chortle chortle - which they give their all to.)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I have no problem with Harty doing it. However, I think that Phone-In has had its day IN ITS CURRENT FORMAT.

For me, it's getting a bit tired, a bit samey, and needs some new life injected into it. Granted it has to be a bit stop/start with the Classifieds and the manager's and/or player's comments, and I appreciate the inherent lack of air-time that is given over to the Phone-In (about 35-40 minutes, allowing for reports, travel, miscellaneous interruptions etc).

But I think the show should be even more controversial. By that I mean nothing as a result of the Phone-In is ever discussed on here - just the Phone-In itself.

Harty, get out there more, try for the Shock Jock route a bit, criticise some people - the chairman, the manager, the fans (especially the library-esque fans) a bit more - even if it means you're playing Devil's Advocate. The same people ringing to say the same thing is not a Phone-In, it's a Chat Show - or, worse - it's a Daytime TV Chat Show.

Conversely, get Martin Perry / Derek Chapman / Ken Brown back in. What was the most talked about topic on the Phone-In in recent weeks? The binfests about Dick Knight's appearance. There might well have been some utter twats phoning in, but at least it was something to talk about - and surely that's what Phone-Ins are all about - making it essential listening.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Personally I'd hate to see it disappear. Bits of it drive me mad and some of the callers are boring as hell (they should be screened out or Harty needs to just say "you're boring, goodbye!"). He repeats the phone and text numbers too often; that really irritates me! But overall a good show. I personally would like more discussion of the match. That's what I discuss when I go on .. maybe I should call more often!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here