Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has the FA changed the rules and is it now ok for the away team to timewaste?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Timewasting really gets on my wick. The players are really taking the piss. I'd be surprised if the ball was in play for more than an hour some weeks. In my view there should be a stadium countdown timer and every time play is stopped the timer should stop. I guess it could mean not getting out of the ground until about 5.30pm but at least we'd have got our money's worth.

I'm inclined to agree although I think for the Premier and Championship at least, there should be an independent time keeper. When there is an interruption in play, ie a free kick where the ref indicates they can only take it when he blows the whistle or for injuries, substitutions, the clock should stop and then restart on the refs whistle. Timewasting would still occur, for example at goal kicks, throw ins etc but the ref should still add additional time for that. I also like the RFU finish where when time is up, the game is only over when the ball is out of play.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The ref blew his whistle twice at the Reading players to break up their love in. He then still waited for them. He should of just indicated to the Brighton players that he was going to start the game and blow. There would be nothing Reading could have complained about. As for the Watford player standing in front of the keeper at a goal kick, I don't think I've ever seen that in 38 years of watching football.

Albion Rob

The ref blew his whistle twice at the Reading players to break up their love in. He then still waited for them. He should of just indicated to the Brighton players that he was going to start the game and blow. There would be nothing Reading could have complained about. As for the Watford player standing in front of the keeper at a goal kick, I don't think I've ever seen that in 38 years of watching football.

A really scummy tactic in my view - not like the keeper can kick it at the offending player because if he misses then the ball will just roll to the edge of the box and leave us exposed.

A really ugly, niggly team Watford - I hope we smash them out of sight next season.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Watford seem to take ages to come out for the second half last night too? Our players were out and ready ages before they wandered out

I sit in the East and could see that they also took ages to come out of their dressing room before the game leaving us waiting for about 5 minutes. Mind games I guess but it was certainly reflective of their time wasting attitude they adopted once the game started.

mattislost

Dec 12, 2011
i loved ankergrens time wasting last season at withdean. most of it was within the rules of the game but it used to infuriate some of the other team. i can remember a few players getting booked for decking him when he was doing it. there was one game where we knocked it back to him and he just stood with the ball at his feet for well over a minute. the other team were going ballistic at the ref and he just told them to go and chase it down then!

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Watford keeper was taking the piss Ankergren style. Delay, delay, delay, run up to the ball and move it to the other side. No idea why he wasn't booked early on.

Can't remember when the law was changed (may have been when picking up the ball from a back pass was made), but years ago, if the ball went out for a goal kick, the keeper had to take the kick from the same side as the ball went out. Bringing this rule back would speed things up a bit imho.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Can't remember when the law was changed (may have been when picking up the ball from a back pass was made), but years ago, if the ball went out for a goal kick, the keeper had to take the kick from the same side as the ball went out. Bringing this rule back would speed things up a bit imho.
Nothing wrong with him changing sides, it was the fact he was doing it after waiting for 30 seconds, and as he was about to kick it. It was just simple time-wasting, he should've been booked.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
i loved ankergrens time wasting last season at withdean. most of it was within the rules of the game but it used to infuriate some of the other team. i can remember a few players getting booked for decking him when he was doing it. there was one game where we knocked it back to him and he just stood with the ball at his feet for well over a minute. the other team were going ballistic at the ref and he just told them to go and chase it down then!

When in play, Ankergren is doing nothing whatsoever illegal there. I remember finding it hilarious how many teams didn't seem to realise IF YOU WANT THE BALL, COME AND GET IT. We're not like all the other lower league clonkers who will just whack it back to you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here