Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has the Albion fanbase let Gary Hart down?

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
Not quite sure what you were expecting in all honesty Harty.

I'm a 16 year old, can't get a job because there are none available because of the whole financial situation (as discussed) full time staff are taking the overtime, my Dad is out of work - I did go but paid £15; a little bit ridiculous for a friendly in all honesty.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I was actually surprised it was that many for a testemonial - crowds aren't often that many for testemonial games.

Added with it all of Edna's factors and you may actrually see that 4,500 isn't actually that bad

barney

Jul 31, 2006
pay day he deserved?? why on earth does he deserve a lump sum on top of the money he earns in wages every week that puts the majority of people's incomes to shame

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
I would say the football community let him down. If he'd had a bigger team there would have been bigger gates. Chalrton aren't a huge team, and they're playing right around sussex so we can easily see them, much cheaper.

In some ways I'm against testimonials anyway. With the huge wages the footballers get paid for little work why should we stump up £15 to watch a team play in a half-arsed manner?

This is on top of the cup games we are expected to see etc.

I do not know Hartys' wage but to my knowledge it wasn't as if he turned down a larger deal elsewhere...did he?

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
I dont think its so much the fan base let him down but the club did. Out of the list of players listed on the 4th set of players for the legends match it was really a case of "who?" and any link to Brighton was tenuous. If the club had secured players who had a real link to the club or were genuine football celebs then I am sure the attendance would have been better. Could any one fill me in with the connection (and also who they actually are) between Brighton and this list

plus from TV Darren WHITE, Danny DYER, Jeff BRAZIER, Frankie FITZGERALD, Ryan LEE, James WISE

Looking at that list im sure even the pizza chef at Donatellos has more claim to a place in a legends squad than any of them

Also, if the chance to play in the match was done right from the start that would have increased the sales.

Another way to increase the take would have been to have 50 of each shirt printed, sell the match shirts on ebay (which I expect to happen over the next week or so) and then sell the remaining shirts through the club shop. It cant cost that much more to get 20 shirts done and then up the order to 50, and they would have sold im sure.

Quality of the opposition has already been mentioned, but we have had less in attendance for a midweek cup game.

If I could have made it, the legends game would have been the reason for me going, not the friendly afterwards, and if I had the chance to play even for 5 minutes I would have rescheduled my visits to brighton around the game and gone

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Moseley only got 6000ish at the Goldstone when we played Spurs (Gazza and all) so I think the crowd was alright.

ady1973

Jul 27, 2008
New Milton
I don't think we have....Maybe if the albion want bigger crowds than maybe they need to plan them a little better....maybe in the first week of the month would be more beneficial.... if they are going to charge just shy of a full priced ticket.

As most people get paid at the beggining of the month or on the last day of the month the last week isn't such a good idea when people are scratching around for cash. I always feel that evening games get better attendances and you also get a better atmosphere at them as well.

*** First Post ****

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think if you tot up all the monies from OGH's testimonial activities throughout the year, you'll find that the Albion fanbase has not let Gary Hart down in any shape or form.

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
A lot of money for you and many others. I'm sure that you could get a good seat at many Championship games for £15, or maybe even less.

Well, my Brighton season ticket means that I have effectively bought 2 to 3league 1 games for the same price (ish), and it could even be one championship one if we get promoted!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Personally I feel as Harty does. First thing I said just before kick off was that it was disappointing to see many seats empty. My guess would have been 6,000.

However I think we should all remember the apparent impact of the summer on matchs. School holidays seem to eat away at our attendances a hell of a lot. Firstly because people go away at this time and secondly because Brighton and Sussex is great in the sun, and there are lots and lots of things to do. For me and Giraffe's son that was going to see OGH yesterday, but I had to other tickets for the game and yet my wife and daughter chose horse riding and swimming. I suspect that is largely the reason for the comparatively low turnout. I did wonder if more might have shown on an evening.

Overall OGH deserved a sell out for what he has done for the club, but sadly that is only enough for the core few and not the floaters.

By the way Harty, saw you in Worthing Town Centre this morning, and you looked grumpy and a little plump :lolol:

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Can everyone stop saying money is short please, i know its the truth but you dont all need to say it and i bet thats not the reason for everyone. I didnt go, because i didnt want too, end off.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
4600 is a fairly healthy crowd really. the 3700 Albion are probably the hardcore supporters (certainly the home ones anyway) who go every week, without the floating fans. Certainly, the family stand was empty.

With the Mayo game there were a few differences.
The Peter Ward factor
Premiership opponents
The FIRST Legends game
The lack of 'credit crunch'.

With that Hart game
The legends were generally (bar a few exceptions) 'rubbish' (in terms of legendary status - I appreciate people like Lee Steele but they aren't going to draw a crowd)
The tv 'celebrities' were EMBARRASSING, with nobody having heard of any of them really.
Charlton don't have any 'names', and aren't a particularly glamarous Championship club.
This was the second chance to see the legends - Why would people pay to see something they've already seen before?
Financial troubles - I doubt individual ticket prices will be high due to ridiculous prices and the current economics climate. Even in this instance with a lower price, many would prefer to save the cash for meaningful games, or just generally can't afford football at the moment.

I thought it was a great day and a decent crowd, just a shame about the crap Albion performance. But I think Harty's done pretty well out of it.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I've never been to a testimonial game. Don't see the point when there is nothing at stake.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
money is short, its summer, cricket is played by many albion fans I know, charlton are not a big draw and without Westlake and Racon in the side, we are a worse team than last year....

simple as really.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Can everyone stop saying money is short please, i know its the truth but you dont all need to say it and i bet thats not the reason for everyone. I didnt go, because i didnt want too, end off.

Can you stop saying you didn't want to go please, you don't need to say it and i bet thats not the reason for everyone. I went, because i wanted too, end off.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
money is short, its summer, cricket is played by many albion fans I know, charlton are not a big draw and without Westlake and Racon in the side, we are a worse team than last year....

simple as really.

Some of that i'd concur with, but i can't see how you already deem us as a worse team without Racon & Westlake? In particular i would say that Racon only had two good games for us (albeit he looked good yesterday)

If we finish below 7th, you can bounce me baby...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Some of that i'd concur with, but i can't see how you already deem us as a worse team without Racon & Westlake? In particular i would say that Racon only had two good games for us (albeit he looked good yesterday)

If we finish below 7th, you can bounce me baby...

The game he played at Leeds where I thought he was the best player on the park by many a mile showed to me and the albion backroom staff I chatted with that he was a player who if he was in the team, we could go far with. Its only a personal opinion obviously but I have not seen any of the friendlies, and do not intend to, and therefore when I see the first game I can, probably september time I hope to be pleasantly surprised...until then I still maintain we are a weaker side.

I think anywhere above 12th and I would be very pleasantly surprised

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here