Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has NAYLOR Written his 1st Good Article

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think we are punching above our weight at the moment, let alone if we got into the playoffs.

I daresay there are not many clubs in this league that have been renting for twelve years and have had to finance an expensive planning case (£3.5m) for a new stadium, whilst gaining nothing financially from the sale of an old ground.

Every year it is getting more and more difficult to achieve some sort of 'success'.
Agreed. Looking back at our history when we were at the Goldstone we were a perennial 3rd tier team; even though it was our own ground and we had semi-decent crowds. Now we're playing at a rented athletics ground with the added distraction (and drain) of the Falmer project, so under the circumstances I'd maintain we're at least a division above our 'rightful' place - maybe even two divisions.

We have nearly always been a mediocre third division team, even when we had the Goldstone. The problem is that Brighton is NOT a football town and the recent migration of Londoners/Poles/Welsh/etc into the town has not helped the home support.

Not strictly true I know of at least one londoner who has defected to the stripes since moving down to the coast. ;)

I think the arrival of Falmer will see interest grow from some of the more 'neutral' residents of Brighton, especially as it costs so much to watch Premier League football in London. In 2010 you probably won't be able to get into a PL game for less than £45 in the capital.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i sort of take his point about when the problems occured. but where are Hammond, O'Callaghan and Savage now? he clearly liked them and had their ear/vice versa, but they've not really gone on to set the footballing world alight. bar Hammond, i dont think we've actually missed them.

so really, what its about is Wilkins actually done a good job this year, getting us into playoff contention, then repeating that feat after having to half rebuild the team midseason. yet it doesnt actually praise him for this ???

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
so really, what its about is Wilkins actually done a good job this year, getting us into playoff contention, then repeating that feat after having to half rebuild the team midseason. yet it doesnt actually praise him for this ???

That's because the article is about "why we missed the play-offs", not "why we've made such an improvement on last season".

God, some people will do anything to slate Naylor, even when he's done something from a balanced perspective!

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
He really doesn't like DK does he? And it does make me laugh that even the positives are phrased to look like negatives. "Glenn Murray, Steve Thomson and Jonny Dixon all signed..." (so good thing!) "...in an unfamiliar spending spree" (so bad thing). He just can't resist it can he?

So was it a familiar spending spree? If there's one thing that spending spree was it was 'surprising'. He's a journalist NOT a PR manager for B&HA.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
That's because the article is about "why we missed the play-offs", not "why we've made such an improvement on last season".

God, some people will do anything to slate Naylor, even when he's done something from a balanced perspective!
But don't you think that's a bit of a 'glass is half empty' view? As the article acknowledges we've made improvements on last season. Yes mistakes have been made (probably by everybody), but at the end of the day I think the club has moved forward this year and you can't realistically ask for more than that; indeed I think 'baby steps' is better than going too far too fast and reaching an unsustainable level too quickly.

However it's all about opinions. I'd prefer to reflect on the fact that all things considered I think it's been a pretty good season. If others think it's been a bit of a disappointment then fair enough.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The loan transfer window was still open but Albion showed limited ambition on and off the pitch. Bringing in Ian Westlake from Leeds and Therry Racon from Charlton merely maintained numbers.
Anyone else find this comment completely baffling?

Westlake and Racon were quality additions. And how can they have 'merely maintained numbers' when no one left to make way for them?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Naylor has done a good accurate article. He is not on the payroll of BHAFC. The problem with NSC is that there are quite a few people who are far too cozy with the club to have any real objectivity anymore.

NSC is not a dictatorship for only putting positive views and sucking up to DW and DK at all times. It is a forum for discussing good and bad things about the club and the set up.

Naylor's only crime appears to be he is mates with McGhee and does not hero worship Wilkins.

It is healthy to have views from all sides or we will have a very unhealthy situation which will undermine the good of the club long time.

We have nearly always been a mediocre third division team, even when we had the Goldstone. The problem is that Brighton is NOT a football town and the recent migration of Londoners/Poles/Welsh/etc into the town has not helped the home support.

But in the magical 70's seventies didn't we average over 20,000 for a few seasons and could on a crunch game hit the 30,000 mark, what average 3rd division side could then and now achieve that .

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Naylor has done a good accurate article. He is not on the payroll of BHAFC. The problem with NSC is that there are quite a few people who are far too cozy with the club to have any real objectivity anymore.

NSC is not a dictatorship for only putting positive views and sucking up to DW and DK at all times. It is a forum for discussing good and bad things about the club and the set up.

Naylor's only crime appears to be he is mates with McGhee and does not hero worship Wilkins.

It is healthy to have views from all sides or we will have a very unhealthy situation which will undermine the good of the club long time.

I agree that it is healthy to have views from all sides, and we do, but I can't see how a bias of views on NSC (whichever way round) could undermine the club. How can the views of a tiny minoirity of supporters affect the club?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

or, even when he is trying to present a balanced review, he cant resist putting his boot in and highlighting things he didnt agree on by putting his spin on them.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
or, even when he is trying to present a balanced review, he cant resist putting his boot in and highlighting things he didnt agree on by putting his spin on them.

If he didn't do that, the article wouldn't be balanced, would it?

It would just be "Albion are perfect, Knight is chairman fantastic, Wilkins is the new Fergie" etc etc.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
A bloody good artice, and to be honest Naylor's always written stuff that makes sense so why does everyone always slag him off.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

It would just be "Albion are perfect, Knight is chairman fantastic, Wilkins is the new Fergie" etc etc.

Just a long shot here but balanced is supposed to mean just that. Some angry young men on here seem to think that balanced means presenting negatives. It doesn't - it means presenting a fair reflection of the situation.

If you can point me to one positive thing that naylor has written about Dick Knight in the last 5 years I would be very grateful. Vice versa, if you could point me to one negative thing written about mcghee during his time as manager. There is no way that McGhee did everything correctly as manager (although not as totally awfully as some would have you believe). In the same way, for all his faults, there is no way that DK has done everything wrongly.

At the end of day if people read Naylor's articles as opinion pieces with all the baggage that brings rather than a balanced reflection on the good ship albion then that would be closer to the truth. He does write well - I enjoy reading them but they are not balanced reporting of events.

Bollocks - do you really believe that balanced journalism is achieved by the author writing about his/her own personal views, predjucies and whims?

Why should that be?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here