Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has McGhee lost the dressing room?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Icy Gull said:
You are conveniently forgetting that Attila thought Greg Stanley was one of the good guys. So he's been very very very very wrong before :angry: :angry:

Yes. Yes he did. And now he cant stand the fella.

Im just saying that Atilla (generally) is a DK and MM 'fan' but even he is swaying towards MM out. That says something.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Yes. Yes he did. And now he cant stand the fella.

Im just saying that Atilla (generally) is a DK and MM 'fan' but even he is swaying towards MM out. That says something.

and i'm just saying he's been wrong before :)

and whilst we're on about Atilla, can we move away from 1970's punk music at Withdean sometime soon please:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Rougvie said:
Placcy, if the club say (and they DO) that 250K is allocated to the CKR transfer, it doesnt matter what the fee is, we still SPENT 250K (or at least thats what we told coca-cola).

I think I am right in saying that for official accounting purposes the books must reflect that the sum involved is 250K, surely we must have put the difference between that and your 50K fee in the bank for when we need it to give to Bury.

Me thinks you are clutching at straws in the defence of a manager who has won 6 out of his last 46 games, a record even East Stirlingshire cannot beat.
Not clutching at straws, just trying to enlighten the discussion about what CKR's actual transfer fee was. Unlike what Bucky says, the complete mechanics of the deal were printed in the Sports Argus, so many games, this amount etc, with the majority of the £250k being used to pay his wages (from which you'll be able to work out that he doesn't get paid much for a tier 2 footballer). And in fact, it was stated that there was some money left over from the £250k even after paying the transfer fee and 3-years wages.

I'll try and dig out the article over the next few days so we don't at least have to argue over this any more, but I think we've paid Bury around about £50k so far for CKR given his number of games, maybe a bit more.

As per where we came in, a long way short of the £400k Trigger said we'd paid in transfer fees, even with inflated guesswork on El Turi's fee.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
London Irish said:
If you interested in a constructive debate discussing those yardsticks, then I'd be more than happy to. The problem is the usual suspects of frequent-posting anti-McGhee whingers aren't, so inevitably these discussions get sidetracked :)

You will have to point out the personal jibe, as you are so much more clever than me I missed it.

As you ALWAYS get personal with the so called McGhee out (a massively growing number) brigade, I thought that would be something you are used too.

Go on then, humour me, when is it acceptable in your view for us to start questioning (AGAIN not saying 'get rid off') a manager who has brought us 6 wins in 46 games.

*Waits*

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
London Irish said:

As per where we came in, a long way short of the £400k Trigger said we'd paid in transfer fees, even with inflated guesswork on El Turi's fee.

What was the fee for El Turi, why were we not told?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Rougvie said:
You will have to point out the personal jibe, as you are so much more clever than me I missed it.

As you ALWAYS get personal with the so called McGhee out (a massively growing number) brigade, I thought that would be something you are used too.

Go on then, humour me, when is it acceptable in your view for us to start questioning (AGAIN not saying 'get rid off') a manager who has brought us 6 wins in 46 games.

*Waits*

That is because is predictable and patronising.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
London Irish said:
Making things up again to excite yourself, I said we HAD that amount to spend, not we spent that amount... We had £250k coke money that was to be spent solely on players and a SIX figure sum argie money...

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
And a six figure bid turned dowm for that scottish chap allegedly

Dandyman said:
A fair answer, so let's proceed on that basis then. I think we will get relegated, if we do is your view that relegation is one of the slings and arrows of fortune that a club in our situation has to accept or do you think that there is anything that the manager could have done better that would would have kept us up ? On the same basis if we failed to reach at least the playoff next season would that be acceptable or would it be a failure in terms of what we can reasonably expect the manager to achieve ?

To be honest, I don't want to get involved into long discussions about relegation scenarios when our team is still fighting hard. It is not appropriate.

This board is well read by the players and even management and I think such discussions at this stage are self-defeating and negative.

The time may come when we will have to have those discussions - maybe. But right now I'm focused on disregarding overly negative talk like that and getting behind the team in their great fight. I'm sorry if that comes over as a bit moralistic, but I have to put it to you, if we the hardcore fans don't believe they can succeed in these 12 games, what is the point of supporting a team? What are supporters for? Who are going to believe in the team if the supporters don't? The ball boys? The North Stand caterers?

Discussions about how McGhee could keep us up this year I regard as the positive kind of discussions we should be having, and what role we fans can play in that, given the poor atmosphere at some of our games :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Rougvie said:

*Waits*

Didn't answer and its not a negative question. :nono:

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
London Irish said:
To be honest, I don't want to get involved into long discussions about relegation scenarios when our team is still fighting hard. It is not appropriate.

and that is not patronising to the people who hold a different view to you?

I thought you journo's liked debate. Or is it just debate when its backing up your point of view?

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Didn't answer and its not a negative question. :nono:

I didnt expect one to be fair, just the usual rather bitter patronising waffle that we have come to expect.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Rougvie said:
I didnt expect one to be fair, just the usual rather bitter patronising waffle that we have come to expect.

Predictable AND patronising you mean :p

Trigger said:
Making things up again to excite yourself, I said we HAD that amount to spend, not we spent that amount... We had £250k coke money that was to be spent solely on players and a SIX figure sum argie money...
But if you're including wages in the figures, why stop at £400k? We obviously had far more than that if you include wages, £2m perhaps (it is one of the lowest, if not the lowest, wage budgets in the division, but that's by the by).

Trigger, you are being disingenous, when you used the £400k figure you were implying we had £400k to spend on transfer fees. I doubt in actuality we have spent anywhere near that. 100k for El Turi and about £50k so far for CKR are the real transfer figures thus far, plus some money for Hendo. That's it.

Certainly less than what Adams spent while we in the lower tiers, and McGhee is facing a similar team rebuilding job now in a far, far harder league.

Last edited:

Dies Irae said:
and that is not patronising to the people who hold a different view to you?

I thought you journo's liked debate. Or is it just debate when its backing up your point of view?

So saying I object to debates that assume we are going to be relegated is "patronising" now? :)

Saying we might have a chance of staying up is "patronising"? Is that really the point you anti-McGhee obsessives have arrived at?

Well, carry on patronising everyone :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dave, can I ask, why the constant username changes, everyone knows it's you, you don't tend to stray off your pet subjects that much :)

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I got bored with dave the gaffer, as I am no longer a gaffer, so it was bit daft.....

anyway, for the record I think Mcghee should stay, he got us into this mess he should bloody well get us out of it.

On a serious note, I was suggesting that the debate on here was about Mcghee and you suddenly decided to end it all with what could have been described as a "flounce" in that you said you would refuse to talk about relegation as it would upset the players who read this stuff.

Debate is healthy as there is always two sides, you of all people should know this.

Rougvie said:

*Waits*

It was all answered, but here you are again below.

London Irish said:
It's very straightforward, he has to start taking the club backwards from the point where he arrived.

He's a long way in credit at the moment thanks to a fantastic achievement of getting us promoted and keeping us in tier 2 for the first time in 15 years.

He is also having to rebuild the team from virtually scratch as the Adams generation is on its last legs and Coppell and Taylor contributed next to nothng to our long-term rebuilding, and obviously he needs to be given time for that to work just as Adams was. (Incidentally, where you among those barracking for Adams to be sacked at the end of 2000? There were so many it made Argus back page stories and even Adams' programme notes - the kind of fickle fans that McGhee has to now ignore are nothing new).

I hope you understand now and will not ask again.

...but of course you did, I guess that did call my bluff :lolol:

Dies Irae said:
I got bored with dave the gaffer, as I am no longer a gaffer, so it was bit daft.....

anyway, for the record I think Mcghee should stay, he got us into this mess he should bloody well get us out of it.

On a serious note, I was suggesting that the debate on here was about Mcghee and you suddenly decided to end it all with what could have been described as a "flounce" in that you said you would refuse to talk about relegation as it would upset the players who read this stuff.

Debate is healthy as there is always two sides, you of all people should know this.

Call it a flounce if you will, but it's silly to get trapped into debates where you don't agree with the core assumptions, and I don't agree we are relegated. Why don't you ask me instead when I stopped beating my wife?

We do have a higher duty to get behind the team in these last 12 games, and pretending we are already relegated is not consistent with that big effort WE ALL HAVE AHEAD OF US :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here