Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has Mark McGhee given up already ?.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Given up? No.

Lost the plot? I'm beginning to think so.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
dave the gaffer said:
So assuming we have a very limited amount of money you would spend it on a luxury then would you?

Flintney and Yelldell? Henderson and Blayney were both loans and good ones.

Goalkeeping is not the priority

I don't consider high quality goalkeepers a luxury and think 30k is a STEAL for that boy considering his age. I wouldn't have minded having to pay up to 110k for him.

With all players available we have a squad that I would expect to do okay in this division. In the situation we find ourselves our hands are somewhat tied and if funds are as limited as they seem I can't see us being able to afford ANY outfield players that are going to make that much of a difference at this stage. At this opint I am reduced to hoping we can get a fully fit side together and then I really believe we have a half decent team that is possibly only one goalscorer away from achieving a lower mid table position.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I don't consider high quality goalkeepers a luxury and think 30k is a STEAL for that boy considering his age. I wouldn't have minded having to pay up to 110k for him.

With all players available we have a squad that I would expect to do okay in this division. In the situation we find ourselves our hands are somewhat tied and if funds are as limited as they seem I can't see us being able to afford ANY outfield players that are going to make that much of a difference at this stage. At this opint I am reduced to hoping we can get a fully fit side together and then I really believe we have a half decent team that is possibly only one goalscorer away from achieving a lower mid table position.

In that we are in agreement, but if the difference to signing a decent goalscorer and a crap one ( which we will never know of course) is the money we spend on Henderson, then I would be a tad upset

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
By the way, I didn't mean to say 'up to 110k' I meant to say 'up to 100k', just in case i sounded anything like Glover....

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Chappers I hope all your dreams come true in 2006 and you have a fantastic year.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Look at the example of Luton. The haven't spent any more money than us, and look at where they are?

I'm afraid my faith in MM is starting to waiver. I'm not one for slagging players in public, but the second half against Millwall in particular was unacceptable. But to keep the players in the dressing room for an hour after that game, and then come out and not give the fans any idea of what was said other than 'not being good enough in front of goal' was not required. We could all f***ing see that!!!!

I don't think he has given up, but it did cross my mind that he was getting complacent in his job. His job is more at risk than he realises. Maybe not this season, but we will have to be in the promotion race again in League One if he wants the job when we walk out at Falmer.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
dave the gaffer said:
So assuming we have a very limited amount of money you would spend it on a luxury then would you?

Flintney and Yelldell? Henderson and Blayney were both loans and good ones.

Goalkeeping is not the priority

What??? GK is THE most important position. We only survived last year thanks to goalkeeping heroics - Kuipers before he was injured (Wolves away springs immediately to mind) and Blayney in the latter half of the season. Even Yelldell had one decent game (Leeds away). Chaigneau's chance at St Mary's was a chance to prove he is not the answer - we need Henderson as No 1, with Kuipers as a very able replacement. We can then start looking to fill a few of the other positions. If we got Henderson for £30k it would be a deal to rank alongside Zamora for £100k and Currie for nowt. [By the way - the latter was a McGhee signing!]

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Brian Clough always said that a goalkeeper earnt or cost you 20 points a season and if Henderson does that I shall be happy, although I would have preferred he went after Blaney as I consider him to be better than Henderson.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Seagull73 said:
I'm afraid my faith in MM is starting to waiver. I'm not one for slagging players in public, but the second half against Millwall in particular was unacceptable. But to keep the players in the dressing room for an hour after that game, and then come out and not give the fans any idea of what was said other than 'not being good enough in front of goal' was not required. We could all f***ing see that!!!!
Of course, the second half against Millwall was diabolical. However, there should be absolutely no reason to publicise what was said. It was between McGhee and the players, and no-one else's business. What he tells Andrew Hawes is another matter entirely.

Seagull73 said:
I don't think he has given up, but it did cross my mind that he was getting complacent in his job. His job is more at risk than he realises. Maybe not this season, but we will have to be in the promotion race again in League One if he wants the job when we walk out at Falmer.
Complacent is the last thing any manager in the relegation fight is, especially one who is on the hunt for a new contract. Anyway, we have no chance of being in the promotion race in League One before we get to Falmer. We'll be in the Championship.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Would everybody have been happy if he had come out after the Milwall game and said ' we have had a frank discussion and all aired our views and must look forward to Southampton'. Everybody would have been 'over the moon' but it would have meant absolutely nothing they could have just sat and had a cup of tea we wouldnt have known.

dave the gaffer said:
I am sorry but that is nonsense.

We are in this division because we won the right to be here. We all know about the problemsd blah blah blah

We have to have a manager that believes and transmits to the players the belief that every game is winnable, or we might as well throw in the towel now.

We cannot go into a season thinking there are games we are going to lose....what about WEST HAM last year, Leicester, Sunderland, Leeds.....these were teams we beat last year. Teams that we should not have been beating according to your logic.

This supposed negativity from the management is starting to get me f***ed off.

It was only a day or so that you were praising the Southampton performance, who the hell do you think was responsible for organising a makeshift team with eleven players out to believe in themselves that day? ??? :glare:

Seagull73 said:
Look at the example of Luton. The haven't spent any more money than us, and look at where they are?

Everyone knows Mike Newell has done a blinder, but that is the miracle team performance of the season and you can't pick out the one great overachieving team in the league every season and use that as a stick to beat McGhee with, it's an utterly dishonest method.

Let's not forget that is only just over two years ago that Newell got the sack from Hartlepool. No manager performs blinders every year, well as Newell and McGhee have done in recent times.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Uncle Spielberg said:
I am one of Mark's stauchest supporters as you know but all the in house falling out and idiots calling for his head may have had a very negative effect on him. I have alarmingly detected in the last few weeks Mark seemingly giving up before games are played. Now, OK, we had 10 players missing for the Saints game but Mark had given up the game as a defeat in the post match interview after Millwall saying he is not bothered about the result and any point would be a miracle.

He also looked at blaming the ref after the Reading thumping and did not seem overly bothered about the Millwall defeat which was a hammer blow to our survival and could well be the pivotal game of the season when we look back in May.

As he assumed we would lose at Southampton that is the only explanation I can give for dropping Kuipers for a bloke he told the piss out of last week saying he was last seen running down North Street towards the Channel tunnel.

The rift with Knight must have a real unsettling effect on the team and I imagine Michel is pretty fecked off at the moment.

I still believe in Mark however and wish people would get behind him whatever happens this season. I still want him in charge if we go down as I believe he is the right man for us.

He is passionate about this club you only have to see the way he is on the touchline to prove that and the Millwall defeat must have really hurt but he is a proud man and does not show it.

Its time for the players to stand up and be counted and for Mark to still believe and not panic which he seems to have done over the last couple of weeks.

Come on Mark , you are the man.

Do you still believe, if so, show it on Saturday.

The guy is not "The Man" - he is a joke! Fancy undermining the team spirit by saying "anything gained at Saints is a bonus". They were in worse form than us having lost their previous 4, and were there for the taking! Perhapse playing Little Leon - our best striker would have helped!

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
London Irish said:
It was only a day or so that you were praising the Southampton performance, who the hell do you think was responsible for organising a makeshift team with eleven players out to believe in themselves that day? ??? :glare:

Oh I see that is all down to Mcghee is it?

So using your logic, they play well at Saints and its down to Mcghee, but when they play badly its down to the players not Mcghee.

sanctimonious prick

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
London Irish said:
Everyone knows Mike Newell has done a blinder, but that is the miracle team performance of the season and you can't pick out the one great overachieving team in the league every season and use that as a stick to beat McGhee with, it's an utterly dishonest method.

Let's not forget that is only just over two years ago that Newell got the sack from Hartlepool. No manager performs blinders every year, well as Newell and McGhee have done in recent times.

Im glad you said that....Danny Wilsons Blue And White Army!!!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am totally 100% behind Mark McGhee but I do not want to hear any Albion manager writing off a game as a defeat before we even get on the coach as he did before the Southampton game. I want my Albion manager to say we are going there to win, no matter how unrealistic.

If we draw Chelsea away in round 4 of the FA Cup, I want McGhee to say we are going down to Stamford Bridge to turn Chelsea over and ram it up Mourinho's arse.

Come on Mark , get your positive head on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here