Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has gus been slightly lucky???

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning
Love gus and I'm not slagging him off,but i wonder if things could have been so much different. If el abd and tommy hadn't been injured at the start of the season would dunk have broken in to the first team I'm not to sure and the same with jfc would he have got a chance if we hadn't been crippled by injures and suspensions .but I'm just both glad they have taken there chances.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's called making the most of your squad. It happens to most managers in most seasons and some cope with it better than others. I wouldn't call it luck.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
You always make your own luck. It's usually called preparation.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
How is that Gus being lucky, rather than Dunk and Forster-Caskey???

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Unbelievable how the Gus Bus crew see everything through Gus tinted spectacles. It wasn't about giving JFC a chance, it was about not having much of a choice. Same with Cook. The lad was going to be sold at a knock down price (no doubt with large sell on clause) but was only recalled because of Dunks yellow. Everyone who was at the game yesterday will be dismayed if we let him go. From that display yesterday I would put him in instead of Calderon at the moment. Grant Hall also deserves a run in the team ahead of Painter and Vincelot who is better in midfield or as a centre half.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Unbelievable how the Gus Bus crew see everything through Gus tinted spectacles. It wasn't about giving JFC a chance, it was about not having much of a choice. Same with Cook. The lad was going to be sold at a knock down price (no doubt with large sell on clause) but was only recalled because of Dunks yellow. Everyone who was at the game yesterday will be dismayed if we let him go. From that display yesterday I would put him in instead of Calderon at the moment. Grant Hall also deserves a run in the team ahead of Painter and Vincelot who is better in midfield or as a centre half.

He could have started the more experienced Harley and not JFC...

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
He could have started the more experienced Harley and not JFC...

he could have, if he was stark raving mad....I don't have a problem with Cook and JFC getting into the team by default. That happens all the time in football. I will have a problem if he drops them, unless their performances justify being dropped, not just because more seasoned pro's are available for selection again.

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning
Last week jfc was all set to go out on loan in jan,glad we have had all these injures to make gus realise how good he is.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I posted this yesterday but it bears repeating. It was Gus' idea to have the development squad and youth team play exactly the same style of football. It shows that one of them (or more) can make the step up when required because they know exactly what their role is within the squad. We had 3 development squad players yesterday who were amongst the best on the pitch because of this forward planning.

ChilternGull

Nov 3, 2011
Village near Oxford
Sometimes the solution to a problem is right under your nose and you do not need to go shopping. I wonder what Harley felt like after being bought for £250k (apparently) only to be dropped for a 17 year old making his full debut. Jake was so much better that Ryan has been. Poor old Harley over hit his first pass when he eventually arrived on the pitch to play as an extra left back. Harley has potential but needs to be much more consistent and put in his share of the hard graft. He also needs to learn not to show how he is feeling via his body language. To his credit he put that corner in just the right place for Sparrow's second goal.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Unbelievable how the Gus Bus crew see everything through Gus tinted spectacles. .

Gus did say after he'd been here a very short time that Dunk had the potential to play at the very top, not sure he'd even had a 1st team game at the time. I imagine JFC is only still here because of what Gus did last season and the fact that we are at the Amex now. Not sure how having more than a couple of very decent young back up players is seen as lucky rather than reaping the rewards of a decent development squad and youth squad.

I'm no Gus apologist and think he makes plent of mistakes of judgement and tactics but given our injury record this season I hardly see how anyone can call him lucky.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here