Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has Calderon lived up to the potential shown last season?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Was thinking after another abject performance yesterday that inigo is definitely one of the most overrated players in the team at the moment.

Last season the man was a breathe of fresh air, skillfull, quick and marauding....inspired every game. This season his form has been patchy he's been caught out of position a few times and against an average standard championship winger like Pugh is just too slow.

Maybe I'm being over critical... I still think he's a good Player I just don't think he's quite as good as many Albion fans make out and may struggle week in week out in a higher league.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
He's been quality.

Since coming back in from his suspension he has dipped a touch but thats only a few games

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
How many games have you seen this season, looks good to me as well as Celtic.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I've seen 7/8 games and 3 on telly. The only game where he has stood out to me is charlton away.

Must be just me then .... I still reckon he would struggle at a higher level and I'm being ultra critical...

Let's see how he gets on against watford

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Was thinking after another abject performance yesterday that inigo is definitely one of the most overrated players in the team at the moment.

Last season the man was a breathe of fresh air, skillfull, quick and marauding....inspired every game. This season his form has been patchy he's been caught out of position a few times and against an average standard championship winger like Pugh is just too slow.

Maybe I'm being over critical... I still think he's a good Player I just don't think he's quite as good as many Albion fans make out and may struggle week in week out in a higher league.

Marauding is a good word.

Been a real absence of his trademark marauding runs down the wing this season.

I wonder if he's been coached to only play a certain way, or whether his injury caused him a more serious problem.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Calderon has been fantastic this season and I really can't believe anyone would start a thread slagging him off. He didn't have his best game yesterday but he definitely wasn't abject. The whole team were just a bit under par.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Gus got two things wrong at Bournemouth:

1. Not starting Murray (see separate thread).

2. Playing Bridcutt, Sparrow and Bennett all in a central midfiled line, one behind the other, meaning we had no right midfield. This meant a) Calde could not get forward because there was no-one to twin with, and b) several times Calde faced 2 on 1s coming at him, because he had no-one in front of him. This was so obviously our undoing, and I was only in the 6th row of the stand behind the goal. I just don't get the 'bennett playing central' thing.

wedgee

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Spot on. Calde came under a lot of pressure and put in some good tackles but he had a job to do on the winger and was therefore unable to get forward as he normally would. Also he is bound to have a more defensive brief when playing away in a top of the table clash.

I'm not slagging him off I like him just think he's a tad overrated

If Norwich came in for him, he'd be player of the season :rolleyes:

But otherwise I'd say he was normally quality. Just that he has been one of the better players before, so expectations are higher of him.

Still, we could have drawn yesterday according to reviews, and it took a top drawer strike to take all three for bmouth

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I didn't go yesterday, so I can't comment on his performance. I did, however, feel that he had a wobbly 2nd half when Posh came out & had a go last Saturday - but virtually all players have a dip in form at some point in a season. Perhaps his recent suspension & subsequent break from the first 11 is to blame? Anyway, I'm sure he'll be upping his game again sooner - rather than later. Class is permanent innit. :thumbsup:

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
As mentioned above, the whole problem yesterday was the lack of width on the right ahead of calde. He had no one to play quick one/twos with going forward which meant he looked a lot less effective. Certainly not one of his best games though with a few sloppy touches as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here