Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Has Barber got it wrong re: club stance on Ukraine?

Well?

• Total voters

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Tosh eh? Nice. I am not talking about the weekend. I am talking about the sort of things Brighton can do to show the world their support for Ukraine in the period to come. I agree that Ukrainians will have bigger fish to fry than watch us on TV.

Have you donated to Ukraines military yet? Written to your MP? Going on a March this weekend? Engaged in meaningful conversation with your friends and family about disinformation? Promoted trustworthy sources (good time to realise the value of the BBC, Clive Mylia is worth the annual license alone these past few days. Blokes a bloody hero)

All of this is far more effective than waving a flag for 5secs on MoTD whilst the person next to you holds a placard asking for a players shirt. We’ve moved far beyond tokenism now, it’s bullets and bombs that will only stop Putin. The game’s afoot.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So a whole day then, I'm going to start moaning that piglets didn't do a Borscht guest pie and the sweetie trolly didn't make up bags of yellow and blue smarties.

I guess you changed you avatar at 5am Friday morning

Cynicism alive and well, but working out timing frames not so much...

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Have you donated to Ukraines military yet? Written to your MP? Going on a March this weekend? Engaged in meaningful conversation with your friends and family about disinformation? Promoted trustworthy sources (good time to realise the value of the BBC, Clive Mylia is worth the annual license alone these past few days. Blokes a bloody hero)

All of this is far more effective than waving a flag for 5secs on MoTD whilst the person next to you holds a placard asking for a players shirt. We’ve moved far beyond tokenism now, it’s bullets and bombs that will only stop Putin. The game’s afoot.

Well done. I congratulate you. It puts us all to shame.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Barber has put out an entirely appropriate message of support for Ukraine and confirmed that Albion will wear their yellow and blue strip in the next two away matches in a gesture of support for Ukraine.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Barber has put out an entirely appropriate message of support for Ukraine and confirmed that Albion will wear their yellow and blue strip in the next two away matches in a gesture of support for Ukraine.

Later on, after I had written the OP and posted it. But I suspect you knew that really.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Why didn’t Liz Costa don a ‘Me Too’ T shirt when Harvey Weinstein got nicked?

Seriously, the club do more than many others when it comes to certain issues, I think they’ve got it right on this one, the less we mix politics and sport the better.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

No - I haven’t donated funds for arms - Red Cross :thumbsup:

Lots of actions may be more effective than any action the club may take - by that logic however only the single most effective action would be ever taken.

Every little thing that individuals, clubs and organisation can take all add up and not only demonstrate the feelings of the population but can influence/force politicians to take action in support of the people of Ukraine.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Lots of actions may be more effective than any action the club may take - by that logic however only the single most effective action would be ever taken.

Every little thing that individuals, clubs and organisation can take all add up and not only demonstrate the feelings of the population but can influence/force politicians to take action in support of the people of Ukraine.

Well said, why exclude anything? Why do people imagine oligarchs, Arabs etc. have got involved in football, it is a global PR machine. The attraction of football is universal, across cultures, religions, borders. I also disagree this is politics - it is an existential threat the likes we haven’t seen for 3 or 4 generations. It’s well beyond politics in any sense of the word.

Anyway, the club have made a decision to get involved and immediately start raising funds for the Red Cross and raise awareness and give a global show of solidarity that will be beamed around the world. It shouldn’t end here either, individually or collectively.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
What about doing more for Palestine & Yemen? Why just Ukraine?

The simple unwelcome and sad truth is that there is not the almost universal support for one side or another in those conflicts that there is for Ukraine in their fight - that however doesn’t stop any individual from taking whatever action that they consider appropriate, demonstrative or financial, to show their support.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Well done. I congratulate you. It puts us all to shame.

Sorry didn’t mean you per say, I mean all of us. These are more practical things all of us can do. Care to make a donation that will really count? Help their military here:

https://war.ukraine.ua/

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

Thinking about this, it seems unpalatable to us in the West with our long tradition of disaster relief donations. But this appears very different and surely making a donation to their military will do more good than it would to any of the humanitarian appeals? We can’t even be sure our money will go to Ukraine crisis with likes of Oxfam and co. Is it not better to arm a Ukrainian, to effectively kill a Russian soldier? Surely that’s the only game in town now? As governments are now, belatedly, doing with arms shipments? After all, what’s the point of providing a tent if the occupant is already dead? Unpalatable as that maybe? Christ, what a mess the world is in tonight. My heart feels heavy and my head is spinning.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Thinking about this, it seems unpalatable to us in the West with our long tradition of disaster relief donations. But this appears very different and surely making a donation to their military will do more good than it would to any of the humanitarian appeals? We can’t even be sure our money will go to Ukraine crisis with likes of Oxfam and co. Is it not better to arm a Ukrainian, to effectively kill a Russian soldier? Surely that’s the only game in town now? As governments are now, belatedly, doing with arms shipments? After all, what’s the point of providing a tent if the occupant is already dead? Unpalatable as that maybe? Christ, what a mess the world is in tonight. My heart feels heavy and my head is spinning.

You may well be right but my donation to an arms fund is totally insignificant compared to the billions in arms already being offered by governments. However even small amounts can make a very real difference to those who have fled from the fighting and are crossing the border out of Ukraine with literally just what they can carry.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
What about doing more for Palestine & Yemen? Why just Ukraine?

Because the Ukraine is European.

Palestine and Yemen have some of the richest nations in the world close by, if they require humanitarian assistance then it should come from those nations and their enormous wealth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here