Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Has anyone WITH responsibilities ever just quit their job with no backup plan?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Has anyone WITH responsibilities ever just quit their job with no backup plan?

David Cameron?

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
My job is making me ill.
I should have left ages ago.

I'm in need of some courage.
Hi SB. Yes I did this (to some extent). I had been working for a software company for nearly 20 years - and frankly it just became too difficult (staff cuts etc) - I volunteered for redundancy - my plan was to take the first job I could get (irrespective of sector /salary) while I worked out what I wanted. I say, "to some extent" though because there was not a whole lot left on the mortgage and my wife was working. I was in work again within my notice period - I have never got the salary that I had before but it was fine.

I'm answering your question directly as it is a huge leap and whilst it worked out fine for me, there are no guarantees. All the very best though whatever you decide

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok Stat, my advice would be to get another job first, I say this for two reasons, most people at some point in work life are surrounded by a never ending supply of ********s but remember they are your ********s and you know how to play them, better the devil you know right?

The second reason is the more serious part, if your job is as bad as you say it is and you haven’t motivated yourself to get a new one, how motivated are you going to be then when you’re not in that environment( sitting at home ), you could blink and lose six months before you new it, then your CV is looking really flakey mate.

Btw were you away for those three weeks or staycation ? (You know why I’m asking that don’t you)

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nah, moving house.
Managed to wrap 3 weeks of house clearance and decorating around trips to Old Trafford and the Burnley game.

As said I just can't catch a break. lolol:

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Yes, last year. Job wasn't as promised and despite being WFH and very well paid I was a grumpy git at home. Made me ill too.

Then both my parents died very close together and unexpectedly and I just turned round to Mrs WS and said I can't do this any more. Employer was kind enough to pay me my three months notice and I'm still not working - haven't worked since 1st Sept last year. Scary but to be honest my mental health was more important - might be a bit tricky when I run out of money !

This is an exact mirror of what happened to me at the end of 2020.

I have now set up a new business and used the money my parents left me to keep us going whilst the business grows. It’s been tough and still is but my health is 100% better and I am starting to feel much better. I would never have got through the grief of losing my folks by staying in a toxic workplace. The money was good but the people were horrid. I have 2 young kids one with severe disabilities and I owe it to them and my wife to be happier. That means more than the money. We have cut back on stuff and adjusted accordingly. Life Is now improving.

The world is in a mess. You might as well be happy.

Be nice to yourself and good luck.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well this has been all a bit of a whirlwind.

Pushed forward by highlighting my issue with the community here.

I saw a job I liked the look of and applied for on Friday morning.
Set up an interview in my next break, Friday lunchtime.
Worked all weekend through various degrees of unmitigating clusterf**Kery.

Interview this morning.
Which ended with shaking hands on a new job.

Couldn't have done it without you.

I guess knowing I can't return here to moan about my job got me to the point I needed to get too.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Interview this morning.

I guess knowing I can't return here to moan about my job got me to the point I needed to get too.

Wow, that's brilliant Stat. Congratulations. New home, new job. Same old Albion. What more could you want?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Interview this morning.

Fantastic news.

A cli​ché but who cares, the beginning of the rest of your happy life.

You'll have no regrets.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

Interview this morning.

Many congratulations! That's the power of NSC. It sometimes surprises me. Someone finds the right words and it influences your opinion, or very occasionally, changes it completely.

Obviously the speed of the process and the job offer is down to you and your employability. Have one on me. :drink:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wow, that's brilliant Stat. Congratulations. New home, new job. Same old Albion. What more could you want?

New Albion wouldn't go amiss!

:lol: we kid because we love.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Interview this morning.

Well done Stat, remember it’s quite common in the first few days of a new job to have that ‘what have I done feeling’ which will go away.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well done Stat, remember it’s quite common in the first few days of a new job to have that ‘what have I done feeling’ which will go away.

That's more for the company that's just employed me - not my problem...

...yet. :lolol:

Wide awake at 2am Sunday morning anxious about what's in store for me, at work, 4 hours later did for me.

Ironically part of Sundays f**kwittery was down to me being awake at 2am :facepalm:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Excellent news !

Much as you want to, don't immediately tell your current company what to do with their job but write an overly smarmy resignation where they're never sure whether it was real or sarcasm. And the day you hand it in, no matter what the notice period, you'll find a huge weight lifted off your shoulders :thumbsup:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
That's more for the company that's just employed me - not my problem...

...yet. :lolol:

Wide awake at 2am Sunday morning anxious about what's in store for me, at work, 4 hours later did for me.

Ironically part of Sundays f**kwittery was down to me being awake at 2am :facepalm:

I'm guessing you were / are part of on-call rota? Possibly a tech job?

If that's what it was, I feel that pain.

Used to be on call 24/7 every three weeks at my last place (unpaid) and the stress of hearing my phone go in the middle of the night was unbearable. Then, being tired, mistakes would be made and I'd consequently be knackered for the day part of the job. Just awful.

I've resolved never to work on call again, anywhere, for any money.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Excellent news !

Much as you want to, don't immediately tell your current company what to do with their job but write an overly smarmy resignation where they're never sure whether it was real or sarcasm. And the day you hand it in, no matter what the notice period, you'll find a huge weight lifted off your shoulders :thumbsup:

Yeah it's not my style to shite on a situation as I walk out the door, esp as I'm going to skim a bit of notice period off them - a nice clean break at the end of the financial year, perfect.

They're a good company but understandable decisions made in the board room has made life in the trenches almost impossible.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I was thinking about quitting a job almost 11 years ago but couldn't make the plunge ,unexpectedly though was called into the office and offered £7k to sign a NDA and leave .
Not a fortune but didn't take long to accept

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here