Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has anyone else's Natwest account completely buggered!

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
To avoid cancelling your holiday can you not just draw some cash on a credit card - yes I know you will be charged for it and have to pay immediate interest, but Natwest will have to reimburse this.

I only have one credit card and the limit I have is not enough for the holiday, I don't have time to apply for another credit card or loan. I could always go through Wonga, but I don't really want to do that. I have had Natwest already tell me that they won't reimburse Capital One charges (or all of them at least) because they find that they are excessive and they will only cover 'reasonable' costs, and to be honest I find that Wonga may not be a reasonable cost for them so I don't want to take the risk.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I only have one credit card and the limit I have is not enough for the holiday, I don't have time to apply for another credit card or loan. I could always go through Wonga, but I don't really want to do that. I have had Natwest already tell me that they won't reimburse Capital One charges (or all of them at least) because they find that they are excessive and they will only cover 'reasonable' costs, and to be honest I find that Wonga may not be a reasonable cost for them so I don't want to take the risk.

Surely the cost to reimburse your lost holiday deposit will exceed any charges they should give you back. Don't forget to add a decent amount for stress when you make the claim.

Natwest :tosser:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'm in communications with my bank manager, 10 days ago there was more than a million in my account now there's hardly anything but apparently they've moved their data and lost my money in the process

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Does this mean that my new Nigerian friend won't be able to deposit the £42 million he promised me last week in return for a few insubstantial and unimportant personal details?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I'm in communications with my bank manager, 10 days ago there was more than a million in my account now there's hardly anything but apparently they've moved their data and lost my money in the process

I hope you managed to get to a cash machine!

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
So whats the cause of it then? so far online I've read it's down to either hacking, technical failure or a financial collapse?

I heard today from a friend who banks with Natwest that it is due to the new computer system that they have had installed.

It appears to be the same system that we have had a work for the past 2 years and it's crap,

It's called SAP and many large companies have used it and it has caused many large businesses problems. Its a system that is happy to collect money but dosen't like to give it back.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So whats the cause of it then? so far online I've read it's down to either hacking, technical failure or a financial collapse?

if you are really interested, its called a cockup. they upgraded a piece of software and found a glitch, so backed out. in doing so the operator f***ed up, apparently clearing the queue of processes waiting. they would have to restore that and once ready everything would be out of sequence, with an ever increasing backlog of transactions waiting all through that time.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
if you are really interested, its called a cockup. they upgraded a piece of software and found a glitch, so backed out. in doing so the operator f***ed up, apparently clearing the queue of processes waiting. they would have to restore that and once ready everything would be out of sequence, with an ever increasing backlog of transactions waiting all through that time.

They planned for it though, sacking 2,000 IT & Back Office staff in 2010 & 1,000 in 2011 & look what happens afterwards that didn't in the 100+ years before

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I heard today from a friend who banks with Natwest that it is due to the new computer system that they have had installed.

It appears to be the same system that we have had a work for the past 2 years and it's crap,

It's called SAP and many large companies have used it and it has caused many large businesses problems. Its a system that is happy to collect money but dosen't like to give it back.

It is absolutely 100% nothing to do with SAP. It was a routine upgrade to z/OS mainframe job scheduling software.

It is software that is used worldwide by major banks, insurance companies, building societies, governments etc... for scheduling 'batch' processing.

Beorhthelm's comments are pretty close to the basic story.

In 28 years of working on IBM mainframes for large corporations, I have never seen the combination of several elements, each on their own fairly common and manageable, cause such a fundamental and challenging disaster area.

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It is absolutely 100% nothing to do with SAP. It was a routine upgrade to z/OS mainframe job scheduling software.

It is software that is used worldwide by major banks, insurance companies, building societies, governments etc... for scheduling 'batch' processing.

Beorhthelm's comments are pretty close to the basic story.

In 28 years of working on IBM mainframes for large corporations, I have never seen the combination of several elements, each on their own fairly common and manageable, cause such a fundamental and challenging disaster area.

Is your username linked to your faith in the computer systems you work to maintain? - if so it seems remarkably prophetic at this point

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
They planned for it though, sacking 2,000 IT & Back Office staff in 2010 & 1,000 in 2011 & look what happens afterwards that didn't in the 100+ years before

well yes, all in the name of cost cutting. bean counters dont put a value on staffs aptitude and ability to think for themselves. these chaps on the subcontinent are very bright, but have certain cultrual traits that do not lend them to dealing with situations off the script. those that can are working in the UK and US.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
my mortgage application has been delayed for another 10 days and they've lost tax documents SA302's 3 months worth of Bank Statements, 3 years Company accounts, and photocopies of my passport and driving licence.

That doesn't sound like anything to do with the mainframe computer problems. I would talk to someone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here