Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has anyone been to Bulgaria

porkdog

May 9, 2008
by the sea
If so whats it like?

I might go there in the summer for a week or two and was wondering what everyone elses experiences were?

I've heard its very cheap but can anyone confirm? and also what the night life is like?

I have seen a few hotels based on Sunny beach that look nice but whats this area like?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Yes.

Sunny Beach Ok.... but not great...Bulgarias coast reminds me a bit of the English riviera.

Not sure I'd bother again.

herbicide

weedkiller
Mar 25, 2006
Horley
Yep. Flew into Bourgas airport for a holiday in 2004. Stayed near Nesebar which is an old ruined town on the sea. Nightlife was at Sunny Beach apparently, though we didn't bother with it.

Food was a bit hit and miss. I ordered a Sicilian pizza in one restaurant and when it arrived it had cabbage and baked beans on it. Restaurants in Sunny Beach were better. (Funny thing about toilets in restaurants - there is no bog paper in them so you have to ask for it. They ask how many sheets you want...I'm not joking). Take your own bog roll.

Weather was hot and dry and the locals were okay. Pretty cheap holiday.

PS - you might want to book in here...:clap2:

http://www.beachbulgaria.com/sunnybeach/palace.shtml

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I had a great time in Bulgaria
Its cheap (or it was 7 years ago)
Started at Sofia, went to Sozopol, Sunny Beach, Velico de Turnivo I think it was called and some other places cant remember the name of

Its quite diverse, you got mountains, beaches, snow, sun

The people are friendly enough and keen to test their english on you, the food and booze was ridiculously cheap and good

I didnt realise they used the cyrillic alphabet though so map reading and stuff was tricky. had a really good time, probably wont go back there though

Women are quite hairy

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Oh and Sunny beach area was pretty much full of germans, so we didnt really meet many travellers

The night life was crap, but the diversity of the country made it a good trip

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Went there 3 summers ago - all inclusive so didn't see much of the natives.
It's where Israilies go for their hols too.
Very cheep food and beer when we did venture out.
Did find the locals wern't as pleased with their tourists as, say the Greeks are.

No urge to go back.

Could be a bargin if they're still a non-Euro zone - when we were there I think they'd applied but had not tranistioned yet?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Went there about 15 years ago so it has probably changed a bit. Felt like Butlins in the seventies. Beware of fake money and goods. Turkish mafia were a right pain in the arse, they were pimps for ALL the pretty girls, got a bit hairy on more than one occasion!

Last edited:

£140 all in for the week

If so whats it like?

I might go there in the summer for a week or two and was wondering what everyone elses experiences were?

I've heard its very cheap but can anyone confirm? and also what the night life is like?

I have seen a few hotels based on Sunny beach that look nice but whats this area like?

went in 1985 prior to romania v england it was cheap as chips but a couple of our lads got the cr*p kick out of them by police in there rooms on our last night.
# cracking trip:US:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wife and i went there in 2008 and it was great and very, very cheap. Middle sons mother in law has bought a place out there so they all went there this year (Aug 2009) and apparently the prices have shot up and they blatantly operated a price for locals and a price for tourists. He was told that the government put taxes on drink and tobacco etc during the summer so as to make money off of tourists they then take it off again at the end of the season,

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Went in 1999, the beer was bloody awful and there was a bear chained to a tree outside Sofia station.

...and that is what they class as a leisure facility...Bulgarian men are as hard as nails!

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Went to Sunny Beach this Summer still very good value but not as cheap as it was five years ago. Sunny Beach is like Blackpool with sun with many Germans, Russians, Dutch, etc. Loads of copy gear and a ten mile prom with every inch covered by a seller. A very 24hr resort but prefer the other smaller ones.

Acropolis Seagull

Nov 16, 2009
My wife's Bulgarian so I won't comment on the "hairy" bit though she did say that she needs to shave her legs today once our daughter is having her afternoon nap??!!
Anyway I have been to Bulgaria many times though not to the coast. The countryside/mountains are very nice and the summers are great.
It is not as cheap as it was as currency is pegged to the Euro.
Bulgarians are friendly and of course very keen on their football,Premier League is massive there.
I was at the Olympiakos Arsenal game here in Athens on Wednesday night in the Arsenal section and there was a significant group pf Arsenal fans from Bulgaria that had travelled down for the match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here