Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

has any team ever f*cked up from our position

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Huddersfield had a calamatous blow up when Steve Brusce was manager...they were top of the second divisiopn ( championship) at Christmas by 11 clear points, hammering everyone in sight and cruising the league....then they played Liverpool in teh FA Cup 3rd round, were played off teh park and lost 2-0 and hardly won a match thereafter....ending up losing the last game of the season 3-0 at Fulham when only requiring apoint to get in the play offs. (I was at that game at Fulham)

Newcastle in teh Prem under Keegan was a mega one I seem to recall

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Ffs do you lot worry or what? for crying out loud, stop fretting!!!! We must be going up because the bookies say so!! I've never seen a poor bookie btw:bigwave:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It could still go tits up if Plymouth are liquidated before the end of the season , we lose 6 points and 6 goals off our goal difference to let Scumhampton catch us up.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I think the point is, we dont even look like slipping up. Unlike Leeds last season. Yes we have had a few scrappy performances but thats all part of the process and just goes to show what a good side we are, when we are winning games not conseeding goals and not playing at our best. Thats the mark of a good side, its a done deal. Just hope we win the title at home against Southampton!!!!!

Longfellow

Jul 27, 2004
Ten points is not an insurmountable hurdle.

On 8th February 1997 Hereford were 10 points clear of the Albion who were in bottom place in the then third division - we all know what happened on the 3rd May. I prefer to think of it as a brilliant recovery by Steve Gritt's men to avoid relegation rather than a Hereford collapse.

An emotional day at Edgar Street back then and looking forward to an equally uplifting day at Meadow Lane on 7th May. As for Southampton & Spurs - I wll not forget my anger at their 0 - 0 result in 1978

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
This. This time last year Leeds were dropping points all over the shop. If anything, we are getting even more consistent and stronger

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
We are at least 10 points clear, 12 points clear of 3rd (depending on games in hand) with 10 or less games left, and we only have a couple of top sides to play. Some bookies are offering 1/50 on us being promoted. I think that says it all.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

On 8th February 1997 Hereford were 10 points clear of the Albion who were in bottom place in the then third division - we all know what happened on the 3rd May. I prefer to think of it as a brilliant recovery by Steve Gritt's men to avoid relegation rather than a Hereford collapse.

An emotional day at Edgar Street back then and looking forward to an equally uplifting day at Meadow Lane on 7th May. As for Southampton & Spurs - I wll not forget my anger at their 0 - 0 result in 1978

But today is the 20th of March my friend.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield

Difference is though, 10 points at the foot of the table can be caught up in four games. Its not unusal for a side at the bottom to lose four on the bounce.

Its highly unlikely that any of the chasing pack are going to make up 10 or 12 points over 10 games. The only have 4 games or so to do it, in other words, if we win 6 more, its automatially impossible for us to be caught, and one we can afford to lose four and only be caught if the others win ALL their games, so for every game SCC or Peteborough don't win, our target goes down by one win. We are so far ahead, I can't in a million years see anyone club, let alone two clubs catching us now, and neither it seems do the bookies

Longfellow

Jul 27, 2004
"But today is the 20th of March my friend." You are absolutely correct kevtherev - do forgive my anxiety. I just need some reassurance that it will be a happy ending!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Huddersfield had a calamatous blow up when Steve Brusce was manager...they were top of the second divisiopn ( championship) at Christmas by 11 clear points,

I remember that |granny. i think thats when he sold Marcus stewart amidst massive protest and thensaid |judge me at the end of the season.|

Well he f***ed upbig time after that.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
we still havent had our two biggest tests at home yet either in the form of southampton and huddersfield, so i think to say we are definitely up is a bit premature. hopefully it will be done and dusted by the time those two visit withdean

I think that the result of those two games will not affect us as we will be promoted by the time that we play them. I honestly cannot see where we are going to drop the 10 points that Southampton need for them to overtake us or sufficient to allow both Peterborough and Huddersfield to overtake us. 1 may but not both.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I'm sure some of the older hands on here will be able to help me out , but didnt palace blow a big lead in the old 3rd division around 1976 , only just scraping over the line behind hereford ? not sure if brighton
were involved ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There's a full quarter of the season left yet. Looking good ? Yes, definitely. Would I take our position over everyone else's ? For sure. Are we up already - no way.
*sigh*

Fixtures remaining:

Brighton v Notts County, 19:45
Brighton v Swindon, 13:00
Dag & Red v Brighton, 19:45
Rochdale v Brighton, 15:00
Brighton v Sheff Wed, 15:00
Brighton v Dag & Red, 19:45
Walsall v Brighton, 15:00
Brighton v Southampton, 15:00
Colchester v Brighton, 12:15
Brighton v Huddersfield, 15:00
Notts County v Brighton, 15:00

I make it that the absolute bare minimum number of points that we will get from that lot will be 12 which will give us 83 points. As I say, that assumes an absolutely disastrous run-in (with one or two fluke wins), and even then 83 points will possibly see us promoted.

More likely is that we'll crack on and compile 24 or 25 points and win the league by a landslide. We're up.

Newcastle blew a 12 point lead to Utd in 1996. Don't know how many games were left though when they had that lead.

They had the 12 point lead in January

Newcastle United
A brilliant start to the season, mainly down to new signings Les Ferdinand and David Ginola, saw Newcastle establish themselves as favourites for the title. As late on as January, they were still 12 points ahead at the top.

But their nearest rivals Manchester United were getting increasingly better by the time March was in sight, and the gap was narrowed to a single point in early March when an Eric Cantona goal saw the Mancunians grab all the points at St James' Park. While Alex Ferguson's side won virtually every remaining game, Newcastle dropped a few vital points and any chances they might have had of making a last-gasp recovery were killed on the final day of the season when they failed to beat Tottenham. Even a win would not have been enough, as Manchester United also won their final game of the campaign.

Manchester United and Newcastle United emerged as the primary title contenders for the 1995-96 season. The two sides played on 27 December 1995, with Newcastle 10 points ahead in the league. A 2-0 home win for Manchester United cut the gap to seven points, and two days later they beat Queens Park Rangers 2-1 to reduce the gap to just four points. But Manchester United then lost 4-1 at Tottenham on New Year's Day and drew 0-0 with Aston Villa, allowing Newcastle to establish a 12-point lead in January 1996.

Manchester United and Newcastle met again in early March, and a goal by Eric Cantona gave United a 1-0 away win and cut the gap to a single point. With one game left of the season, Manchester United led the Premiership by two points. For Newcastle to win their first title since 1927, they had to win against Tottenham and hope that Middlesbrough beat their Mancunian rivals. But the Premiership title went to Old Trafford as Manchester United won 3-0 and Newcastle could only manage a 1-1 draw with Tottenham.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here