Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has 2011 been your best year following the Albion?

Has this been the best year you've had following the Albion?

• Yes, yes it is

Votes: 51 60.0%
  • No, no it's not (state why)

Votes: 34 40.0%

• Total voters

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not directly, obviously. In part though, I think that it was. Those 'pointless' triangles, set a tempo to our overall play that was different to everybody else in the league, and I think it helped our players believe that they were capable of actually RETAINING the ball all over the pitch.

How do you explain this season then, when we are doing the exact same thing in defence and other teams are absolutely happy to let us fanny about in our own half of the pitch without ever posing any kind of a threat on their goal? ???

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Ive been a fan since 1998, so this definitely is. Winning League 1 followed by the opening of the Amex. The first game there was arguably the best day of my life

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
How do you explain this season then, when we are doing the exact same thing in defence and other teams are absolutely happy to let us fanny about in our own half of the pitch without ever posing any kind of a threat on their goal? ???

I said it marked us out from everybody else in the league last season. We are not playing those teams this season.

Last year we had the confidence to retain the ball in all areas of the pitch because the players were good enough to do so, against the opposition we faced. I've still got complete faith in the system, but in the face of stronger, faster, better organised opoosition, we need a few better players ourselves to pull it off.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I said it marked us out from everybody else in the leaugue last season. We are not playing those teams this season.

Last year we had the confidence to reatin the ball in all areas of the pitch because the players were good enough to do so, against the opposition we faced. I've still got complete faith in the system, but in the face of stronger, faster, better organised opoosition, we need a few better players ourselves to pull it off.

Apology accepted :thumbsup:

Andrew

May 15, 2008
Sussex
Last year was pretty good.

We were all EXCITED about the Amex, we were winning basically every game, we had quite a good squad, a good manager and we got promoted.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
No.

Those years of rising from 3rd to 1st division (old money ) saw us playing better football with better footballers,and of course there was the Cup Run.

2011 was good,mind.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
This year has been wonderful. Southampton had a formidable League One side and to have stayed ahead of them was an astonishing achievement.

Interesting, though, unless I'm mistaken, that no one who experienced the Mullery years and the Gus era seems to place this year above, say, 1977, the nearest equivalent to those times.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I voted no, because I have good memories of many seasons.
Billy Lane 1957/58 gaining promotion for the first time from the old Third South, Adrian Thorn scoring 5 goals to clinch promotion in the last game.
Then Archie Macauly 1964/65 winning the fourth division with all five forwards scoring double figures in the 102 scored that season. With ex England player Bobby Smith leading the front line.
1971/72 With Pat Saward leading us back to Division Two, with classic games against Aston Villa who won the league that season.
Then Alan Mullery with three great seasons 1977 through to 79.
Jimmy Melia and the cup run in 1983
Micky Adams two great seasons 2000-2002
Mark McGhee and that play off final at the Millennium 2003/04
Gus Poyet last seasons league winners
And now our wonderful return to our new home.
I suppose in all those years, my true highlights have been seeing us win at Newcastle to get to the top division for the first time, the cup semi final, cup final and the play off final.
Hard to choose, but I suppose our first promotion to the top division in 1979 has to be the best.

Last edited:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
1st season in the old div 1,only missed a couple of home games all season & went to quite a few away

seeing the likes of brady & dalgleish gracing the pitch at the old goldstone after years of watching them on tele,made you realise just how good those type of players were

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
90/91 was the best for me. The only season I've ever been to loads of away games, regrettably. Wish I could go away more now but needs must etc........losing in the Play-Off Final was heartbreaking, cried my eyes out..........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here