Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harveys to leave Lewes

Furious regulars are set to boycott their pub in protest at a brewery's decision to stop selling a traditional Sussex ale.

Suffolk brewery Greene King triggered outrage by deciding to stop serving Harveys Best Bitter at the Lewes Arms after Christmas in favour of its own ales.

A public meeting was called last night at the historic pub in Mount Close, Lewes, and more than 80 angry regulars agreed to boycott the pub if the decision was not reversed.

Campaigner John May, of Friends of the Lewes Arms, said: "The campaign to keep Harveys at the pub will continue and it is quite simple: if the pub doesn't sell Harveys people will be forced to go elsewhere.

continued...
"The majority of people who drink regularly in the pub drink Harveys. It has been voted the best bitter in Britain and we don't see why Greene King should want to remove it and destroy a community pub like this.

"Already a lot of the societies and associations which meet at the pub are considering their position and a boycott is unavoidable unless some sort of compromise is reached."

Pub regular Meic Goodyear, of nearby St John's Terrace, said: "It is very noticeable in Lewes that the pubs which sell Harveys stay open and those which don't invariably do not. A boycott is the natural progression - if they can't drink Harvey's people will not go there.

"The Lewes Arms is a big part of the community and holds many events, so some people may choose to continue drinking there but will boycott the Greene King ales.

"However, all is not lost and we will fight on in the hope that common sense will prevail."

The Lewes Arms has been selling locally-produced ale for more than 200 years and about 80 per cent of cask beer sold at the pub is Harveys Best.

A 1,200-strong petition is due to be handed to Greene King bosses by Lewes MP Norman Baker today, after he threw his support behind the campaign.

Last night, Mr Baker said the company was not returning his calls to confirm the appointment.

He said: "I can understand why Greene King wants to sell its own beer but not at the cost of taking away the choice of drinking Harveys.

"Harveys is brewed in Lewes and is part of the town's history, taking it away from these regulars is striking at their community values.

"I think it is a short-sighted move.

"The short term gain for Greene King will be nothing compared to the long-term damage done and I believe they are making the wrong call.

"They are not being very receptive and are doing exactly what a big company like that should not do, burying their heads in the sand."

Yesterday Greene King could not be reached for a comment.

8:36am today

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Funny that Greene King won't return Norman's phone calls. Didn't he accuse Dick and Martin of the same thing? Perhaps he'll get the message eventually.

However. Fair play to him for supporting this particular campaign. Whenever I go to Lewes, it's the Lewes Arms that I head to for my Harveys fix. It is madness that Greene King want to remove the best selling beer from the pub.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
sully said:
Funny that Greene King won't return Norman's phone calls. Didn't he accuse Dick and Martin of the same thing? Perhaps he'll get the message eventually.

I reckon he just picks up the phone and starts talking without dialling any numbers or owt.

Staypuft

Sep 21, 2006
Lewes
Although Harveys is my favourite thing in world,just pipping wife kids and BHA. I have heard a rumour that the decision by Greene King was taken because harveys refused to agree a price to sell it as a guest beer. Harveys is a profitable local company and obviously doesnt see the need to reduce its profit margin to accomodate the big brewers. Its very easy to label GK the corporate monsters who dont give a shit for locals etc and their idea to produce a "local" beer bearing the Lewes coat of arms is an incredibly patronising step however we are only hearing one side of the story..

The above may be a load of bollocks.....

We are not amused.

sb03_010.thumb.jpg

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Boycott all Greene King beers ANYWHERE full stop.

:angry:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Lammy said:
Boycott all Greene King beers ANYWHERE full stop.

:angry:

Now we're talking.

I haven't been in the Lewes Arms for ages anyway. It's the John Harvey Tavern for me: it's a cracking pint there.

Staypuft

Sep 21, 2006
Lewes
Gwylan said:
Now we're talking.

I haven't been in the Lewes Arms for ages anyway. It's the John Harvey Tavern for me: it's a cracking pint there.

Agree totally..JHT is my favourite pub in Lewes and I like the "straight from the barrel" service of Harveys Best. Also 2 minutes from home and very funny Jazz night on wednesday night with about 20 piece band, average age 95.:bowdown:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
sully said:

However. Fair play to him for supporting this particular campaign.

The only reason he is supporting this is because it is something that Lewes residents care about. Most people in Lewes, though pissed off at the money spent objecting to it, do not care either way about Falmer.

Staypuft

Sep 21, 2006
Lewes
Wardy said:
The only reason he is supporting this is because it is something that Lewes residents care about. Most people in Lewes, though pissed off at the money spent objecting to it, do not care either way about Falmer.

Yep...this is a totally bandwagon jumping gesture by borin' norman.

Dont think Ive ever seen him in the Arms..

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The intention was there when Harveys was taken out of the Black Horse at Rottingdean.

We went to the Coach and Horses down by the seafront last Saturday.

The Black Horse is now just another pub.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
Staypuft said:
Harveys is a profitable local company and obviously doesnt see the need to reduce its profit margin to accomodate the big brewers.

If this is true I think Harveys are quite right to stick to their guns. I suspect Greene King are, ultimately, more interested in dominating than being 'accommodated'. Local businesses really need to protect their patch when the big boys move in.

Last edited:

Storer68 said:
Furious regulars are set to boycott their pub in protest at a brewery's decision to stop selling a traditional Sussex ale.

Suffolk brewery Greene King triggered outrage by deciding to stop serving Harveys Best Bitter at the Lewes Arms after Christmas in favour of its own ales.

A public meeting was called last night at the historic pub in Mount Close, Lewes, and more than 80 angry regulars agreed to boycott the pub if the decision was not reversed.

Campaigner John May, of Friends of the Lewes Arms, said: "The campaign to keep Harveys at the pub will continue and it is quite simple: if the pub doesn't sell Harveys people will be forced to go elsewhere.

continued...
"The majority of people who drink regularly in the pub drink Harveys. It has been voted the best bitter in Britain and we don't see why Greene King should want to remove it and destroy a community pub like this.

"Already a lot of the societies and associations which meet at the pub are considering their position and a boycott is unavoidable unless some sort of compromise is reached."

Pub regular Meic Goodyear, of nearby St John's Terrace, said: "It is very noticeable in Lewes that the pubs which sell Harveys stay open and those which don't invariably do not. A boycott is the natural progression - if they can't drink Harvey's people will not go there.

"The Lewes Arms is a big part of the community and holds many events, so some people may choose to continue drinking there but will boycott the Greene King ales.

"However, all is not lost and we will fight on in the hope that common sense will prevail."

The Lewes Arms has been selling locally-produced ale for more than 200 years and about 80 per cent of cask beer sold at the pub is Harveys Best.

A 1,200-strong petition is due to be handed to Greene King bosses by Lewes MP Norman Baker today, after he threw his support behind the campaign.

Last night, Mr Baker said the company was not returning his calls to confirm the appointment.

He said: "I can understand why Greene King wants to sell its own beer but not at the cost of taking away the choice of drinking Harveys.

"Harveys is brewed in Lewes and is part of the town's history, taking it away from these regulars is striking at their community values.

"I think it is a short-sighted move.

"The short term gain for Greene King will be nothing compared to the long-term damage done and I believe they are making the wrong call.

"They are not being very receptive and are doing exactly what a big company like that should not do, burying their heads in the sand."

Yesterday Greene King could not be reached for a comment.

8:36am today
get a life ,
f***ing real ale drinking,tree hugging scruffy ****s.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Sorry i'm not up on all things happening beer wise here....Are you saying that Greene King own Harveys, and Harveys brew local sussex ales, and now Greene King have decided not to sell the local ale in Sussex??

What an odd marketing decision - if I'm reading this correctly?

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
tedebear said:
Sorry i'm not up on all things happening beer wise here....Are you saying that Greene King own Harveys, and Harveys brew local sussex ales, and now Greene King have decided not to sell the local ale in Sussex??

What an odd marketing decision - if I'm reading this correctly?

You're not I'm afraid... Greene King own the Lewes Arms, Harveys own Harveys.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here