Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harveys is ordinary

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Now I am not trying to start a fight here but as I am spending most of my weekend up the Henty Arms in Ferring and though I am only into 5 of a possible 38 I would have to say that though Harveys is a ok pint , it is on the ordinary side of ok isn`t it. So many better beers about.

It does what it says on the tin ok but it doesn`t excite does it ?

Hoppy little girly pint I feel.
Heres to the big tough, rough, proper bitters this weekend.

Cheers

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You are not allowed to say that or Vorishlov wil slag you like he has me. I have been a publican for over 40 years and know a little bit about beer but as he said 'that is something else you know f..k all about'.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Blasphemy!

I think it is a nice pint, but nothing special. I will not salivate over it simply because it is from Sussex. Having said that, I guess it is all to do with personal taste.

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
You are not allowed to say that or Vorishlov wil slag you like he has me. I have been a publican for over 40 years and know a little bit about beer but as he said 'that is something else you know f..k all about'.

I`m not saying its crap BG just that its ordinary. Great if you want to drink 6 pints but forget what you were drinking the next day. have just had some lovely beers and am going back for more tomorrow.

Beer with character and not just a easy, middle of the road ale.

I have missed your row n here with Volivoz or whatever but if he thinks Harveys is the best then he needs to try a few more ales.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Blasphemy!

I think it is a nice pint, but nothing special. I will not salivate over it simply because it is from Sussex. Having said that, I guess it is all to do with personal taste.

PERSONAL TASTE?? What are you talking about man. You are not allowed personal tastes. Everyone HAS to like the same beer.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Exactly my point it is an ordinary run of the mill pint nothing special but to listen to NSC you would think it was beyond compare. It was not a fight with Vorishlov just one comment that he made.

Incidentally I know the Henty very well and have spent many happy evening drinking there in the past and when I had my pubs in London it was always my ambition to own it but sadly that has never happened. My wife comes from Ferring and her mum and dad worked there when Arthur Davis was the governor and also Barbara & Jim

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Only when up against this stuff:

darkstar.jpg

:bowdown::bowdown:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Personally I have never tasted a finer bitter than Harveys, I find it delicious and will generally drink it over anything else :drink:

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
personally i bloody love harveys but that might just be becuase i associate it with hanging out with my old man down in sussex when i go and see him. or it could be because it is a beautiful pint :p

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
So which other pint has won the best, best bitter in the country, two years running?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I like the stuff but to say Harveys generically is wrong. My personal favourite is Armada- i'm not so keen on the mild.

But any of their stuff is better than the homogenous rubbish sold as cooking lager in this country.

In essence I will ALWAYS pick a 'real' handpump ale over any fosters or heineken

Harveys is easy to drink, quite paletteable and local.

One of its' rivals, for instance, Horsham Bitter - is unreliable (not every barrel tastes the same) and not all that nice to taste.

One of the local pubs, The Pond, offers a 'happy-hour' with Horsham, and 4X lager - yet has replaced the 4X with that disgusting pisswater called 'Fosters', which no right-minded person would like.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
1664 lager or wine for me, you can stuff your real ale up your beards and sandals and as everyone knows socks and sandals equals a beard ;)

You can also keep the FAT GUT that goes with real ale as well!!

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
1664 lager or wine for me, you can stuff your real ale up your beards and sandals and as everyone knows socks and sandals equals a beard ;)

Top man. Well said :clap:

Although you can't beat a good west-country pint of cider.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Less fattening than lager actually.

In the beer maybe but what about all the fat in those pork pies that you accompany it with? Eh? The only exercise beer drinkers get is picking the pie crumbs out of their Jesus sandals.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i prefer dark star

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here