Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hartys phone in

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Harty said:
Three cheers for the spin doctors!

To clarify what I actually said about the time of Alan's call; in response to his claim that we wouldn't have a club without Dick Knight, as much as the Chairman has earned legendary status i don't think you can actually say this because no-one can ever prove that if Dick Knight hadn't been around someone else in the city or beyond. wouldn't have stepped up to the plate and taken the job on.
And my other point, which has been well and truly spun on here, was the Hereford situation. Whilst we featured the Great Escape of 1997 on the pre match show, what I said was that in the next few weeks if things don't turn at out as we all want, ie we stay up, the last thing we really want to hear is 'look how far we've come since Hereford' or 'We're punching above our weight'.
If we do go down, and I still beleive (Call me stupid) that with an on loan striker even at this late stage we could still beat, Luton, Millwall, Wednesday and Stoke, draw with Soton and survive, the fault lies with the fact we didn't have the tools for the job at the start, coupled with the loss of Charlie Oatway at Xmas who we then didn't replace.
A experienced 15 goal a season front man would have made the difference, that and an injury free Oatway would have made mid table medocirty reality, regardless of what LDC had thrown at us as a result of the Falmer application.
LDC are bang out of order but are they really at fault for what is happening on the pitch?

LDC to blame for what's happening on the pitch ? No. They are a symptom of the bigger issue of lack of revenue however.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I was on the train coming back from Loftus Road so I missed all this fun.
I admire Harty's optimism but we were awful at QPR against an average team reduced to10 men. I cannot see us winning more than a couple of games and that's being optimistic.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Harty said:
Three cheers for the spin doctors!

To clarify what I actually said about the time of Alan's call; in response to his claim that we wouldn't have a club without Dick Knight, as much as the Chairman has earned legendary status i don't think you can actually say this because no-one can ever prove that if Dick Knight hadn't been around someone else in the city or beyond. wouldn't have stepped up to the plate and taken the job on.

It's a valid point, Harty. But what occurred to me when I heard you on the the phone-in was that, at the time we're talking about, we needed more than "someone" to step up to the plate. We needed someone who could turn around the culture of mistrust and dishonour that Archer and Bellotti had brought upon the club. And I would respectfully suggest that Dick Knight was that man.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
roz said:
It's a valid point, Harty. But what occurred to me when I heard you on the the phone-in was that, at the time we're talking about, we needed more than "someone" to step up to the plate. We needed someone who could turn around the culture of mistrust and dishonour that Archer and Bellotti had brought upon the club. And I would respectfully suggest that Dick Knight was that man.

Been said time and time again about the mythical backers that are willing to take over but who in their right mind would take over a struggling team with no home ? Until we get Falmer well underway the future is not that great.

No Falmer = No BHA.

bhaexpress said:
Been said time and time again about the mythical backers that are willing to take over but who in their right mind would take over a struggling team with no home ? Until we get Falmer well underway the future is not that great.

No Falmer = No BHA.
My instinct is not to trust ANYONE who wants to take over the Albion "once Falmer is assured".

If they have faith in the Club's future, they should come forward NOW, not when all the risks have gone away.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
nobody's dupe said:
Palace's season tickets are "a couple of hundred quid cheaper than ours". :angry: :angry: :angry:
Who in their right mind wants to watch Palace if they have ever followed the Albion ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Lord Bracknell said:
My instinct is not to trust ANYONE who wants to take over the Albion "once Falmer is assured".

If they have faith in the Club's future, they should come forward NOW, not when all the risks have gone away.

:clap: :clap: :clap: Quite so M'Lud.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Every time the subject of these remarkably mysterious "mystery investors" comes up, I'm reminded of the years my mother spent living with a well known fantasist. Known as "King Billy", his days were mainly spent with a group of similarly deluded no-hopers in the Polar Bear Milk Bar in Lewes. From where, shortly before teatime, they would emerge, fired up with Cunning Plans that were as ambitious as they were unrealistic. And I still remember my mother's response to being told that she would have to live without him for the foreseeable future because King Billy and his mate "Panzer" Haynes were off to Angola (via Newhaven) the very next day. It went along the lines of "cheese and pickle or ham and tomato in your sandwiches?".

So I'm minded to think that someone, somewhere should have made a similar offer to the "consortium". Because they were nowhere nearer to saving the Albion than King Billy was to liberating Angola.

Last edited:

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
veade said:
had to laugh when mcgoo said we might need to win 4 out of 7 and then in the back ground someone shouted not with the team you pick:lolol:

just listened to a taped recording and heard that ;)

I know who it was but I ain't telling ;) ;)

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:

I'm afraid I don't agree with that. What is so sinister about someone quite honestly saying that until the ground situation is resolved, Brighton are not as attractive a proposition? It's self-evidently true.

You might think a club is attractive for its potential, but if it hasn't got a ground to realise that potential - and the decision for getting one is totally out of your hands - why would you?

You can't tar everyone with the same brush as Archer, or we'll never do anything as a club in the future. Careful yes, paranoid no.

The idea that there are loads of other clubs being run by those with only charity/community at heart is just not the case - but it can, and is, done responsibly and with the interests of the club at heart.

I would have no problem with a responsible business investor getting involved as long as they could demonstrate they had good intentions and wanted to take the club in the right direction. I have faith in our current board to spot who those people are (or aren't) in any meetings they might have.

By adopting such a closed attitude to potential, and crucial, investment you may well wave good bye to something very good for fear of a bogeyman hiding in every corner.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:

Exactly but who, apart from the board, know what's going on in the background at the moment, but there are no rumours or suggestions that anyone of any calibre is remotely interested. Feeling more downbeat every day and what's going happening on the pitch just makes it worse. Not even a glimmer of light on either front it seems.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here