Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harty's phone in

rool

Jul 10, 2003
They tend to be straight after the match commentary but you have to subscribe to seagulls world to listen

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Buckingham said:

Unfortunately some people sat near me at Withdean have already decided he's crap and should go back to league two having only seen him play for 70 mins. Why, oh why, oh why???:nono: :angry:

Some people are never happy unless they have something to moan about - I had a row with a bloke a few seats from me a few seasons back, because he was slaughtering Paul Rogers, who'd just captained us to our first title since 1958. :rolleyes:

I think the reaction of the majority gives a better clue - despite the fact that we were 2-0 down when he was taken off, most of the South Stand (and I sit in the North so I can see all of it) rose to him and applauded him off.

zakthemack

Aug 9, 2005
Columbus, OH USA
munster monch said:
They tend to be straight after the match commentary but you have to subscribe to seagulls world to listen

So if I keep the match tracker open after the match, I'll be able to listen via that?

So southern counties BBC won't carry it after match commentary has been completed? Sadly I'm a bit short on cash at the moment and won't be able to join Seagulls World for another month or so.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
zakthemack said:
So if I keep the match tracker open after the match, I'll be able to listen via that?

So southern counties BBC won't carry it after match commentary has been completed? Sadly I'm a bit short on cash at the moment and won't be able to join Seagulls World for another month or so.

Yes to the first part.

I have never tried listening to the phone in via southern counties but I assume the broadcast is still split at that time for different regions and it wouldn't be available on the net for anyone outside the SCR region.

Re: Re: Re: Harty's phone in

London Irish said:
It sounded like someone Harty wanted to have a pop at for reasons best known to himself, my bet is that it's someone in the supporters club, given Harty's reference to bobble hats.

Probably someone said to him, getting Falmer is more important than getting relegated, and Harty interprets that, in his usual nuanced style, as being that he/she wants us relegated.

Using his position as phone-in host to conduct feuds is pretty poor. Why not get the person on to state their arguments if he thinks that this is such a big issue.

/me turns around, walks off and hides in corner, mumbling that I have nothing to do with this and didn't start this thread.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Buckingham said:
Well done jam the man for a great post.

I thought CKR did very well at Derby, maybe not so well last night but he is young we must give him time and think will turn into a really good signing for us.

Unfortunately some people sat near me at Withdean have already decided he's crap and should go back to league two having only seen him play for 70 mins. Why, oh why, oh why???:nono: :angry:

People behind us moaning about Dodd and Turienzo already.

Give the team a chance to gel.

Six teams took all 6 points off of us last season and we've played two of them already. Crewe is another one.
We will settle down but will the moaners? I doubt it.

Harty's constant search for a Mrs Merton-style "heated debate" often misfires, particularly since it makes no sense to people who are phoning in from an away match venue (where they haven't had the benefit of hearing the first part of the programme).

On Saturday, he tried to canvass instant opinions on whether Sussex can sustain two professional teams. This may or may not be an interesting topic, but it's an odd question for him to fling at someone who has just emerged from Pride Park with an opinion or three about the performance, CKR, or whatever - particularly if they haven't given Crawley a thought since we last played them in the Cup.

And then there's the "let's disagree with the previous speaker" theme. On Saturday, Roz was an early caller. [No. I'll rephrase that. Roz was phoned up by SCR to take part in the phone-in, because Harty had decided that her broken leg was winner of the "Saddest-Thing-You've-Done-Over-The-Summer" Competition he had run pre-match.] Harty asked her where she thought the Albion would finish in the Table this season. She said something along the lines of "Mid Table Mediocrity would be nice and it should be achievable".

As soon as the next caller was on, he was off into a new "controversy" - "Do you agree with Roz? Or do you think we'll struggle to avoid relegation?"

FFS, Harty, it's possible for people to express an opinion, without it having to be turned into an argument, or some sort of "People's Poll" that deflects other callers away from what they have phoned in to say.

Last edited:

Lord Bracknell said:
Harty's constant search for a Mrs Merton-style "heated debate" often misfires, particularly since it makes no sense to people who are phoning in from an away match venue (where they haven't had the benefit of hearing the first part of the programme).

On Saturday, he tried to canvass instant opinions on whether Sussex can sustain two professional teams. This may or may not be an interesting topic, but it's an odd question for him to fling at someone who has just emerged from Pride Park with an opinion or three about the performance, CKR, or whatever - particularly if they haven't given Crawley a thought since we last played them in the Cup.

And then there's the "let's disagree with the previous speaker" theme. On Saturday, Roz was an early caller. [No. I'll rephrase that. Roz was phoned up by SCR to take part in the phone-in, because Harty had decided that her broken leg was winner of the "Saddest-Thing-You've-Done-Over-The-Summer" Competition he had run pre-match.] Harty asked her where she thought the Albion would finish in the Table this season. She said something along the lines of "Mid Table Mediocrity would be nice and it should be achievable".

As soon as the next caller was on, he was off into a new "controversy" - "Do you agree with Roz? Or do you think we'll struggle to avoid relegation?"

FFS, Harty, it's possible for people to express an opinion, without it having to be turned into an argument, or some sort of "People's Poll" that deflects people away from what they have phoned in to say.

Guess who's going to be the star of the next Phone In preamble! :lolol: :lolol:

You ain't seen me, roight?

zakthemack

Aug 9, 2005
Columbus, OH USA
Thanks very much.

Either way, in keeping with the theme here, I think it's far, far to early to be critical of CKR. It's only two games into the season.

Based on what I've heard though is it fair to say that Federico was a much larger gamble?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
dave the gaffer said:

John from kampala phoned in...great I thought. But he couldn't get a word in edgeways...harty went off on one and you could hear John trying to chip in to no avail

This annoyed me too. I'll admit that I do like the phone in generally but last night a couple of times I did find myself thinking "will you shut up and let the caller actually get a word in".
The funny thing is that they were threatening to scrap the phone in due to a lack of callers because of a technical fault but then when they get some they don't let them talk anyway.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
I apologise if DTG et al think John didn't get a fair hearing, it was a tad difficult last night with all the technical problems and its certainly something I'll take into account in future shows, both I and Tim back in the studio thought he did get a chance to speak but thanks to Dave for bringing the point to my attention.
As for the Falmer thing, its not a case of playing out a feud on the radio I was merely reporting a conversation which really annoyed me.
When I am told by a Albion fan of over 18 years of age that Falmer is the most important thing, far more important than Championship survival then I'm going to want to recount this conversation on air.
If it was about point scoring I'd have named and shamed the fan there and then, I was merely throwing his opinion into the mix for the phone-in.

Beeercan

Jul 14, 2005
Colchester
I can't see the point off his argument, because how are we gonna fill the place in a lower league we need good teams, that will attract fans to come to brighton matches, and relegation is not a viable option.

Silly man, if i wasp older i'd give him a smack!!

Harty said:
When I am told by a Albion fan of over 18 years of age that Falmer is the most important thing, far more important than Championship survival then I'm going to want to recount this conversation on air.
If it was about point scoring I'd have named and shamed the fan there and then, I was merely throwing his opinion into the mix for the phone-in.
I'm not sure what you're saying here, Ian.

If we don't get Falmer, then relegation is a CERTAINTY. We might survive this season, but what will happen next is that key people will leave, the money won't be there to replace them, and we'll go down.

Is that an opinion that warrants "naming and shaming"?

I'll save you the trouble.

Ed Bassford, over 18.

Last edited:

Lord Bracknell said:
If we don't get Falmer, then relegation is a CERTAINTY. We might survive this season, but what will happen next is that key people will leave, the money won't be there to replace them, and we'll go down.

Well said

I may as well add my twopenneth - I agree with Lord B (Well I would being an acolyte :dunce: :lolol: ). I don't know why people continually see the threat of relegation as the end of the world. Nobody WANTS to go down. But, regardless of how many people say it isn't true, we ARE punching well above our weight given the club's facilities and financial situation. There is very little, if any extra TV money for being in the Championship yet we have to pay wages to a Championship standard. This can't continue indefinitely if we remain at Withdean.

If the straight choice was between getting Falmer and relegation or staying up and not getting Falmer, surely it's a no-brainer. Ergo, getting Falmer is more important than staying up. It's not heresy to suggest that Falmer is the most important result this season - it's common sense.

I didn't hear the original caller but I'm assuming he didn't say that he wanted to go down. It sounds like he expressed a view that a lot of people agree with. I'm sure we all want to stay up AND get Falmer. But the latter appears to be the most important out of the two for the long term good. I for one would sacrifice trips to Palace, Leeds, Southampton etc. for a few seasons if it meant the long term stability of the club and the prospect of returning to this divsion and above with facilities to allows us to compete rather than survive. If we can scrape through every season until we move into Falmer then all well and good. If not, it won't be the end of the club - unless we go down and don't get a new ground in the near future.

As for the phone in - I've had this discussion with Ian before. In my opinion, if he continues to use fanzine style tactics against callers who have an opinion he doesn't agree with, he will alienate more and more committed fans and lose the useful conduit that is the phone in. Disagree and rebutt their points by all means. But don't ridicule and demonise callers and then bemoan the lack of people calling in.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Can I just say something here.

My original comment was not to be taken as implied critisism in that I thought Harty did not give John a fait crack of the whip, it was more that as there was only one call comeing through I felt he should have been given more time. That was all!!!

All this..."Oh harty is the devil's spawn" is exremely wide of the mark and I for one think he does an excellent job. He is operating as a journalist...of course he is going to compare calls and ask people to comment on a previous call.

It is a public radio call in...he has no controll of people phoning in ie FG , Me, Ed, Ros or whoever.

All the bloke gets is stick from people and I think it is highly uncalled for. If Harty jacks it in, which I assume he will, we will get someone like Budgie or hawsey doing it, who to be honest in previous shows have not exactly shown the passion and belief in the club that the likes of Harty has done.

remember if it wasn't for the likes of Gulls Eye etc, things would not have been challenged leading to our campaignes and the survival of the club.

What the hell do you all want, The Supporters Club running the phone in? The Costa/History man hour? FFS

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here