Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harty's Phone in

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Dancin Ninja BHA said:
My grievance smart arse, is that I object to being held over a barrel with regards to my season ticket, when we were "encouraged" to buy our season tickets at a time when we did not even know what division we would be in

Please don't insult my intelligence, I realise costs are high because of the reduced capacity, but I thought a price freeze may have been in order when we dropped from Div1 to Div2 as a thank you to the continued support of the 5000 plus of us that buy season tickets

A friend of mine has a season ticket at West Ham and their prices were reduced by 15-20% when they were relegated from the Premiership.

I don't mind paying for the ticket, just think for the ticket to have gone up, when we had gone down, was wrong of the board

Don't quite know what to say to that. The amount you are paying is not linked to what standard of football we are playing at. Balancing the books of the club at the moment must be extremely hard and the price of the ticket reflects this.

I can't afford to go to most home games but i understand why and have to accept that the club NEEDS to charge the amount they do to get by at the moment, it's annoying but there's not much that can be done about it.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
at the end of the day, brighton and hove albion are a business and dick knight is a businessman, he needs to keep the club afloat, and if he has to put the season ticket price up - that's what he has to do. we do not want to end up like York and not have any money to do anything - and not get falmer. Lets put a little bit more trust in him, because without him we would have nothing.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
BAG, my moan is not an issue about trusting DK, I'm currently re-reading "Build a Bonfire", so I'm all too well aware about the perilous position the club were in when DK became chairman, and will always be grateful to him

However, I just feel that the board took advantage out of season ticket holders by trying to push through renewals when we didn't know whether we would be watching Div1 or Div2 football. Not me, but to some people this matters, what with the high cost of the season ticket in the first place.

I don't want a Blue Peter badge for supporting the Albion come hell or high water but a price freeze would have been a tremendous thank you to the fans, that's all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
in my opinion, our great big thankyou will be falmer. i personally dont need anymore than that.

its probably easier for me with my dad paying for my season ticket - but i can see where you're coming from

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Dancin Ninja BHA said:
BAG, my moan is not an issue about trusting DK, I'm currently re-reading "Build a Bonfire", so I'm all too well aware about the perilous position the club were in when DK became chairman, and will always be grateful to him

However, I just feel that the board took advantage out of season ticket holders by trying to push through renewals when we didn't know whether we would be watching Div1 or Div2 football. Not me, but to some people this matters, what with the high cost of the season ticket in the first place.

I don't want a Blue Peter badge for supporting the Albion come hell or high water but a price freeze would have been a tremendous thank you to the fans, that's all I'm saying.

But what if a price freeze put the Albion into a position where they couldn't afford Knight or any other players for that matter?

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
But what if a price freeze put the Albion into a position where they couldn't afford Knight or any other players for that matter?

spot on MAXwell. all these f*cking moaners complain that prices are too high and that we're not splashing the cash on decent players.

you can't have it both ways people!! (actually you can't have it either way cause of our very high overheads but we know this and are gonna have to live with it for the time being)

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes a price freeze would have been a 'nice gesture'. A cut of 15-20% would have been nicer still. BUT THE CLUB CAN'T AFFORD IT.

Despite what Ernest etc says people (well, 'person' anyway) ARE investing money in the club and it's like tipping it down the drain. We've stuggled to pay wages and bills over the last few months, if we'd reduced the prices at the start of the season we'd be in financially an even worse mess.

My solution? Well we're not going to go up so sell Knight, Cullip, Kuipers/Roberts (basically anyone who can command a fee) and replace them with kids. We'll certainly lose some more but it will be more exciting. Also defeats won't feel so bad because we know it's youngsters doing their best rather than a load of under-performing senior pros.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Chappers, the whole world knew that we would be selling Bobby Z in the summer of 2003, and that a healthy windfall would be coming our way

That would have surely made up the differance if prices had been frozen?

Whatever, I'm becoming like a broken record now, just get pissed off watching football from that sorry excuse of a "ground", and I won't get to watch Brighton in a home match in decent surroundings for at least another 3 years, which seems so far away:(

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
Dancin Ninja BHA said:
Chappers, the whole world knew that we would be selling Bobby Z in the summer of 2003, and that a healthy windfall would be coming our way

not at all. i think we had to sell bobby to keep ourselves afloat!!!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Bobby's money went on paying the QC for the Falmer Inquiry

That was admitted at the fans forum.

Blame the NIMBYs for your ticket price if you like.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Dancin Ninja BHA said:

Whatever, I'm becoming like a broken record now, just get pissed off watching football from that sorry excuse of a "ground", and I won't get to watch Brighton in a home match in decent surroundings for at least another 3 years, which seems so far away:(

A lot has been said about that transfer so i won't start all that again.

I understand your greivances and don't think bad of you at all for having them, I just don't get it when people think Knight and co should bring prices down when the club can hardly afford to pay wages, bills etc etc already.

We're all in the same boat when it comes to Falmer, that's gonna be soooo sweet. Patience is the name of the game.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Dancin Ninja BHA said:

Whatever, I'm becoming like a broken record now, just get pissed

NO! That is the whole point! We sold BZ, we put up ticket prices and we're STILL in dire straits financially. We did what we had to do to survive, although by the looks of it the price rise was too low. If you're 20 million in debt and someone give you 5 million it's not a 'windfall' - you're still in debt.

(Those are just figures to illustrate the argument, not, I hope, the state of the club's finances)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here