Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hartys Herald comments!

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
HARTY: Ali, Thatcher, Sinatra and Dick Knight
Published Date: 20 May 2009

"WHATEVER the circumstances of his departure as Albion chairman, Dick Knight's reign will go down in club folklore.
Backed by the supporters, he and his off-the-field team saved the club from extinction in its darkest hour and for that alone, he will always be remembered.

It's fair to say I've enjoyed an interesting and, even at times, strained relationship with him. My media work, although ostensibly a hobby, put me in positions where I had the opportunity to ask questions – sometimes he didn't like these questions but, at the time, they had to be asked.

But, on the flipside, and perhaps a true measure of the man, is that when I had my problems back in October and was suspended from the BBC, he took the time and trouble to ring me. What he said to me that day was quite emotional.

For all our spats and arguments, I found out that day that when my back was really against the wall, he was someone who didn't turn his back.

Did he want to stand down as chairman? No, of course he didn't. Having been a young boy who watched the Seagulls, or the Dolphins as they were back then, from the Chicken Run at the Goldstone, he was living the dream which every Albion fan would want to.

Perhaps, in the coming months, he will realise the dream was in danger of turning into a nightmare. It appears that, although having previously stated the finance for the Falmer stadium was in place, no financial institution, in the current climate, was prepared to lend the necessary money.

Martin Perry more than alluded to it on Monday when he said that without incoming chairman Tony Bloom's financial injection, the stadium would never have been built – leaving Messrs Knight and Perry with a large amount of egg on their faces.

Was I surprised at his departure? Not really. I, like many others, had known about Tony Bloom's influence in the boardroom for a long time. I was told by a long-standing club figure in August,2006, that Dick would be chairman for as long as the Bloom family wanted him to be.

That time has now run out and, in a way, I'd almost compare Dick's tenure at the Albion with the careers of Muhammad Ali and Margaret Thatcher – both great people in their time – but also history proved they went on too long.

I recall a phone-in special a couple of days after Dean Wilkins had been sacked and Micky Adams came back. The majority of callers were pleased at the developments but a number did say that if the gamble failed, it would not only see Adams depart but would make Dick's position as chairman untenable. Unfortunately, they were right on both counts.

To my mind, as with Maggie and Ali, he probably went on 18 months to two years too long.

When Falmer was finally rubber-stamped, and remember Tony Bloom was already on the scene, that's when Dick should have gone out on a high.
Put him in the place of Frank Sinatra. Falmer getting the green light, would be like a final rendition of "My Way in Las Vegas" then exit stage left to legendary status.

What's actually happened at the Albion for the last couple of years is like Old Blue Eyes coming back on stage at the Sands and singing "Puff the Magic Dragon" and the Skippy theme.

While the good will always outweigh the bad, the last couple of years, and Dick's subsequent exit, will, in some small way, tarnish his memory.
The incoming chairman is not a Johnny Come Lately but part of a family with long-standing Albion connections.

What's happened in the past has to be left just there and everyone must move on. These are exciting times ahead.

Having possessed a degree of cynicism over the years, for the first time, I am convinced the stadium will be built.

And, in time, the Albion will finally be what they should have been years ago – the biggest club on the south coast."

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Fair play to Harty - he's prepared to call it as he sees it. Would have been much easier to eulogise Dick and not criticise the last two years. All in all, a realistic, balanced view.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
An interesting read - & fair play (as Mr Was has stated) to Harty for giving us a balanced view. Well, apart from the - What's actually happened at the Albion for the last couple of years is like Old Blue Eyes coming back on stage at the Sands and singing "Puff the Magic Dragon" and the Skippy theme - bit. For a start, Frankie wouldn't have remembered the words.. :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Jesus. Windowlickers was one thing......but comparing DK to Margaret Thatcher. I really cannot think of anything more insulting.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Jesus. Windowlickers was one thing......but comparing DK to Margaret Thatcher. I really cannot think of anything more insulting.

Agreed. People's opinions and memories of Maggie aren't really based on whether she lasted a bit too long or not, she was much more polarising than that. Bad analogy.

Likewise Ali. Couldn't you have thought of something more contemporary Ian? Ricky Hatton for example?

Otherwise a good piece.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Arguably Britains greatest ever prime minister, arguably Brightons greatest chairman both open to debate but good grounds to agree with them. I agree with Maggie but put Bamber above DK.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
If simple-headed coffin-dodgers in Worthing are your public, as you wait for the moment when they manage to dodge the coffin no longer, then that's the sort of crap you're going to come out with I guess. I doubt there's much more to it than that.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Fair play to Harty - he's prepared to call it as he sees it. Would have been much easier to eulogise Dick and not criticise the last two years. All in all, a realistic, balanced view.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
I have to disagree with him that DK went on too long: he sorted out all the c*** surrounding the whole stadium process, sorting out contractors, councils, protestors etc: he has filled in all the craters and handed over a clear runway to Tony Bloom - I suspect that's exactly what TB wished for.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004

Exactly. If that evil witch had had her way football would have eventually disappeared.

I wouldn't compare DK to anyone in particular, as it's not relevant.

He simply saved our club. And for that, we should all be forever grateful.

Since he took over the club has made huge strides forward, especially in the community scheme which is without compare in this country.

Thanks for everything Dick, you are a TRUE Albion legend.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If simple-headed coffin-dodgers in Worthing are your public, as you wait for the moment when they manage to dodge the coffin no longer, then that's the sort of crap you're going to come out with I guess. I doubt there's much more to it than that.

What an insulting post!

It must be rembered that Harty's professional life for which he deals with all ages from a child to the very old is totally removed from his 'hobby' of football. What he gave was a balanced view of the current situation as he sees it whether or not you chose to agree or not is immaterial but please do not insult the people or families of the people that he has had to deal with in his proffesion.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I have to disagree with him that DK went on too long: he sorted out all the c*** surrounding the whole stadium process, sorting out contractors, councils, protestors etc: he has filled in all the craters and handed over a clear runway to Tony Bloom - I suspect that's exactly what TB wished for.

I'm not sure that TB would have wished for the opportunity to pay for the stadium himself but it may have turned out the best for the club this way.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
What an insulting post!

It must be rembered that Harty's professional life for which he deals with all ages from a child to the very old is totally removed from his 'hobby' of football. What he gave was a balanced view of the current situation as he sees it whether or not you chose to agree or not is immaterial but please do not insult the people or families of the people that he has had to deal with in his proffesion.

Oh please...and you do little but suck up to him and defend his excesses (which, if you read what I said again I wasn't actually attacking in this case) on here in a way that would be slightly embarrassing to both of you if it wasn't quite so transparent. Get over it.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

Harty is OK! You on the otherhand seam to be a complete pain in the arse. Frankly, the article would appear to be the view of most true fans other than the "lickers".

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Harty is OK! You on the otherhand seam to be a complete pain in the arse. Frankly, the article would appear to be the view of most true fans other than the "lickers".

Read the following slowly, brains (his spin doctor should too): I'm. Not. Having. A. Go. At. Him. At. All.

Other people have, and fair enough. But writing what you think your public wants to hear makes sense for any journalist and that, I guess, is exactly what he's done.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

And, in time, the Albion will finally be what they should have been years ago – the biggest club on the south coast."

interesting point of view, wouldn't disagree much with it apart from the above......can't ever see us being the biggest club in the south when falmer's capacity will only be 23,500.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here