Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harty

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I remember sitting next Harty when we played under MA at Cheltenham (I think), and there was no way that Ian was a MA licker.

Perhaps you never listened to the phone in that season? I used to enjoy the phone in before that season, maybe it was a combination of watching some of the most clueless football I'd ever seen from an Albion side coupled with Harty refusing to see it was a disaster that put me off his phone in. I, too much enjoyed the podcast with Tony Millard and John Vinnicombe I have to say, so it's not an anti Harty thing.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Seems to me Harty is stii very much involved in things Albion but waht about Hawsey. Wonder if he has come out worst in all this...seeing as he never actually used the word.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
This. It just is im afraid. Bland, boring, post match is just rubbish, used to look foward to it

It started to go downhill rapidly and that is possibly down to their production team/presenters failing to remember that the same old voices were being heard every week. Nice but Dim after walking up a hill, Hugo, Surriah(sp?) and a few others dragged the phone-in down with their dross, that started listener numbers to drop, even less people phoning in until the only thing worth listening to for me was the interview with the manager then it was over to 5 LIve or Talksport.

Maybe now, with much bigger numbers at games, the phone in could be revived? Needs somebody to present it who won't be afraid of airing 'difficult issues' if/or when they arise.

Definitely not Mike Ward though please.

Also, make it Albion specific-I'm not interested in non-league local stuff. After seeing The Albion come back from a goal down to win in the 89th minute, the last thing I'm interested in is Eastbourne Borough or Lewes's games. Sorry to the followers of those sides but I want an Albion only post-match show: with some ooomph about it.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
It started to go downhill rapidly and that is possibly down to their production team/presenters failing to remember that the same old voices were being heard every week. Nice but Dim after walking up a hill, Hugo, Surriah(sp?) and a few others dragged the phone-in down with their dross, that started listener numbers to drop, even less people phoning in until the only thing worth listening to for me was the interview with the manager then it was over to 5 LIve or Talksport.

Maybe now, with much bigger numbers at games, the phone in could be revived? Needs somebody to present it who won't be afraid of airing 'difficult issues' if/or when they arise.

Definitely not Mike Ward though please.

Also, make it Albion specific-I'm not interested in non-league local stuff. After seeing The Albion come back from a goal down to win in the 89th minute, the last thing I'm interested in is Eastbourne Borough or Lewes's games. Sorry to the followers of those sides but I want an Albion only post-match show: with some ooomph about it.

I'm still trying to locate a place called Aldershot in Sussex. No luck at the moment. Why are they covered on Radio Sussex. I can understand Crawley, Eastbourne, Lewes and possibly Bognor but Aldershot lol.
Your right the whole hour used to be devoted to Brighton.

Last edited:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I dont give a f*** about any other club or any other sport (cricket, speedway etc), and giving them coverage makes me want to turn off.

There's only one club in Sussex.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
We have too different broadcasts on match days. One for BBC Sussex and the other for BBC Surrey. I find it strange why we get Aldershot news at the end of the match. In fact we lose about 30 minutes due to interviews from Crawley, Eastbourne, Aldershot and others when the majority of listeners are Brighton supporters. Aldershot should be on radio Hampshire.

Last edited:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
We have too different broadcasts on match days. One for BBC Sussex and the other for BBC Surrey. I find it strange why we get Aldershot news at the end of the match. In fact we lose about 30 minutes due to interviews from Crawley, Eastbourne, Aldershot and others when the majority of listeners are Brighton supporters.

Alas that is no longer the situation after 5.0pm. The two stations link together and so we get coverage of football for the whole Sussex, Surrey and NE Hants. The sad fact is that after Harty left, the number of callers to the phone in dropped dramatically and the programme lost it's bite. I guess the BBC ever looking at costs presumably felt that they could no longer justify 2 separate result shows.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Alas that is no longer the situation after 5.0pm. The two stations link together and so we get coverage of football for the whole Sussex, Surrey and NE Hants. The sad fact is that after Harty left, the number of callers to the phone in dropped dramatically and the programme lost it's bite. I guess the BBC ever looking at costs presumably felt that they could no longer justify 2 separate result shows.

A typical BBC Radio solution - merge everything and strike up the bland. I find it incredible that, in the season when Albion's attendances have increased more than threefold, Albion related post-match broadcasting has been diluted four-fold. It would be great if a truly local station like Juice could become the Albion post-match radio station.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A typical BBC Radio solution - merge everything and strike up the bland. I find it incredible that, in the season when Albion's attendances have increased more than threefold, Albion related post-match broadcasting has been diluted four-fold. It would be great if a truly local station like Juice could become the Albion post-match radio station.

Shame there is no phone in, it would have given those stuck in Bennett's field for 40 mins after home games something Albion related to listen to and phone in having a gripe.

Seagulls14

Jul 31, 2011
Harty was with us through the bad and good of the withdean years and deserves to carry on at falmer. Did a great job and kept everyone tuned in

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
But it's BBC SUSSEX now.

Last time I looked, Surrey wasn't in Sussex.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Harty was with us through the bad and good of the withdean years and deserves to carry on at falmer. Did a great job and kept everyone tuned in

I mentioned this on another thread earlier today and commented on how drab the phone in is now.

Petition to BRING BACK HARTY maybe...lol

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here