Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harty can you please explain to me what a window licker is?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think by the silence from Harty on this this thread that he may be in the doo doo. Ok, it was unwise for him to say it and on top of the tea towel comment as well but I word in his hear from the BBC is all that is needed and leave it at that. If he gets the sack a lot of people on here will have forced out a very good , 100% committed Albion man whose achievements on the BHAFC dwarf most people on NSC. I word to Harty, slagging off NSC is hypocritical mate, we are not all window lickers or keyboard warriors and some of us get out and even have real human friends.

So you don't see the difference between making an offensive comment (throwaway or otherwise) on an Internet messageboard and on a BBC radio show?!
The obvious difference is that the folk who appear on radio are always "real" people and some of the folk who post on an internet forum like to imagine that no-one is real.

The trouble is that what is said on message boards like NSC has a habit of spilling out into the real word - especially when organisations like SCR start to quote comments that are made here (which has become a regular feature over the past few months).

Should that make us more responsible? Or more thoughtful? I don't know. What I do know is that there are users of NSC who aren't completely comfortable with the expectation that no-one here is real.

Harty is one of them. In real life, his job means that he's not one to make silly jokes about death - which probably explains his failure to appreciate the gag that 1067Seagull made about Alan Ball. In real life, I provide services for elderly and disabled people. This means I don't much like gags about disability. But others obviously see things differently.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
To a certain degree, the only thing that I find really distateful on this board, is the Oh so funny jibes aimed at disable people. Whether it be the picture that appears here often of the Downs Syndrome kiddie winning a race, or the so called "window lickers jokes" and to a degree the threads that appeared concerning the paralympics.

Now we all know this board is uncensored and pretty much everything goes, but personally and I know many people I talk to at Withdean and work etc have given up on here precisely because of this. Fair enough, many of you will say, let em f*** off.....again, that is up to you guys.

Where Ian overstepped the mark, was by saying something on the national radio station ( which has very stict guidelines) which was offensive to many people. The Albion make a huge effort to encourage the disabled fan manifested in The Seagulls Specials. A charitee very close to our hearts, the REMF makes donations from your fundraising to the Seagull Specials!!! You can understand why this slip of the tongue can be so offensive.

It is very much the nature of a phone in that the "host and guests " make on the spot pronouncements that in hinesight are inappropriate. We had bikinigate, now lickergate and this is something that Ian has to apologise for on air, as he quite rightly has done

If you want someone like Ian to continue to present the show( and without being accused of a licker (sic) he is the best one we have, then to a degree you have to accept him warts and all. I am not condoning what he said.

Now you can say this is a BINFEST, or whatever you call want to call it, but I think people ought to respect that fact that there are people on here that may not be as vocal as others, but who were upset by Ian's comments.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think by the silence from Harty on this this thread that he may be in the doo doo. Ok, it was unwise for him to say it and on top of the tea towel comment as well but I word in his hear from the BBC is all that is needed and leave it at that. If he gets the sack a lot of people on here will have forced out a very good , 100% committed Albion man whose achievements on the BHAFC dwarf most people on NSC. I word to Harty, slagging off NSC is hypocritical mate, we are not all window lickers or keyboard warriors and some of us get out and even have real human friends.
I agree with most of that, except to say that it's unfair to say "a lot of people on here" have forced him out. They haven't. This thread doesn't even qualify as a real binfest anyway because nearly everyone is saying the same thing: he shouldn't have said it, he's apologised, Harty cut out this sort of language and we can all move on.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Why is HARTY Getting the Blame, When it was HAWESY that said WINDOW LICKER??

just wondering and that?

Harty is getting LOADS of shit for this, even though he DIDNT use the term Window Licker. Is everyone just finding someone to hate and force out for no reason again?

It was HAWESY that used the term Window LIcker, asking all the Window Lickers to call the show to discuss - SAKE :angry:

Neither should be getting this much stick anyway - BINFESTRTY of the highest order.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can't this subject just die a DEATH now ?
Its boring the tits off me.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Harty is one of them. In real life, his job means that he's not one to make silly jokes about death - which probably explains his failure to appreciate the gag that 1067Seagull made about Alan Ball. .

I find that rather strange. I've met a few undertakers, and found that they are more likely than anyone else on EARTH to make jokes about death.

To a certain degree, the only thing that I find really distateful on this board, is the Oh so funny jibes aimed at disable people. Whether it be the picture that appears here often of the Downs Syndrome kiddie winning a race, or the so called "window lickers jokes" and to a degree the threads that appeared concerning the paralympics.

Now we all know this board is uncensored and pretty much everything goes, but personally and I know many people I talk to at Withdean and work etc have given up on here precisely because of this. Fair enough, many of you will say, let em f*** off.....again, that is up to you guys.

Where Ian overstepped the mark, was by saying something on the national radio station ( which has very stict guidelines) which was offensive to many people. The Albion make a huge effort to encourage the disabled fan manifested in The Seagulls Specials. A charitee very close to our hearts, the REMF makes donations from your fundraising to the Seagull Specials!!! You can understand why this slip of the tongue can be so offensive.

It is very much the nature of a phone in that the "host and guests " make on the spot pronouncements that in hinesight are inappropriate. We had bikinigate, now lickergate and this is something that Ian has to apologise for on air, as he quite rightly has done

If you want someone like Ian to continue to present the show( and without being accused of a licker (sic) he is the best one we have, then to a degree you have to accept him warts and all. I am not condoning what he said.

Now you can say this is a BINFEST, or whatever you call want to call it, but I think people ought to respect that fact that there are people on here that may not be as vocal as others, but who were upset by Ian's comments.
The trouble is, Dave, that there are some irresponsible keyboard warriors who have come on to this thread to demand his resignation or his sacking.

What is distasteful is that that many of them have form of their own.

Lush

Mods' Pet
The obvious difference is that the folk who appear on radio are always "real" people and some of the folk who post on an internet forum like to imagine that no-one is real.

The trouble is that what is said on message boards like NSC has a habit of spilling out into the real word - especially when organisations like SCR start to quote comments that are made here (which has become a regular feature over the past few months).

Should that make us more responsible? Or more thoughtful? I don't know.

This is an interesting point. Harty needs controversy to get callers ringing in (or people reading the Herald). Where better to come than an internet message board where, perhaps, 'real life' standards of behaviour don't apply.

As mentioned before on this thread, context is all. You don't swear in front of your grandmother, you don't use certain terms of abuse on the BBC. The problem often is where worlds (contexts) collide.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Can't this subject just die a DEATH now ?
Its boring the tits off me.

its just another NSC

S P A C K F E S T

that occurs quite often, too many keyboard warriors bored with their jobs and the need to spout absolute TOSH about NOTHING!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
And me, just wondering why everyone is jumping on the band waggon and not even accusing the correct person when involving themselves in said binfest

its boring the tits of you aswell so you start a whole new thread about it?!

BRETT.....get a job AWAY from the keyboard :p

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The trouble is, Dave, that there are some irresponsible keyboard warriors who have come on to this thread to demand his resignation or his sacking.

What is distasteful is that that many of them have form of their own.

IF Harty loses his part time job, and I for one hope he doesn't, then it will be nothing whatsoever to do with what anybody has written on here. If the station have suspended him and launched an investigation, then it will be in response to complaints made TO THEM.

I'm ready to stand corrected, but the employers are not generally in the habit of trawling the internet actively searching for complaints about their staff.

Personally, I would not be in the least bit surprised if he throws in the towel anyway. He's threatened to walk away from it before, and may well decide that he can no longer be arsed with the hassle.

As mentioned before on this thread, context is all. You don't swear in front of your grandmother, you don't use certain terms of abuse on the BBC. The problem often is where worlds (contexts) collide.

The other problem with contexts is that people tend to hear what they want to hear. At no point did Harty say NSC is full of windowlickers. Yet that is what keeps being said here and the reason why many, including those with previous themselves, are full of knee jerk reactionary comments which in truth are not justified.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think he was right. There are a lot of window lickers on here. It doesn't matter that he said it on the radio. People are making a lot out of it being the BBC but hardly anyone listens to it so I wouldn't bother about it too much.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
The other problem with contexts is that people tend to hear what they want to hear. At no point did Harty say NSC is full of windowlickers. Yet that is what keeps being said here and the reason why many, including those with previous themselves, are full of knee jerk reactionary comments which in truth are not justified.

Thank you, it is doing my tits in, i got all irrational and started another thread about this - apologies to all

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here