Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hartlepool is a "Must win" game....apparently.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
well, it is

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We MUST win tomorrow to put us nearer to Hartlepool and the rest of the mid table pack as we are begining to become adrift of them. Also the same applies against Hereford away next week. If we can beat or at least avoid defeat against Peterborough on Tuesday that will help. We need to get amongst the next group of clubs so as not to get too drawn into the relegation battle when it becomes a case of 2 from 3 . It is alot better if it is any 2 from 6 or 8

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Since when?

since we are in the drop zone, and hartlepool are in similar form to us - they are only 8 points ahead, and are quite feasibly a team we could catch. throw in the fact that we have peterborough on tuesday, who i wouldnt be expecting anything against, and then a MASSIVE game against hereford the saturday after, which i wouldnt bank on us getting anything from either, then this game is huge

id say when you are in the drop zone, any home game against a team around you is a golden chance for three points - something we desparately need if we are going to avoid being cast adrift

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Surely it's a good thing if any members of our team's management are starting to wake up and see exactly what is needed? It's the opposite of the former attitude:

"It was LEEDS we were playing..."
"Didn't realise we had to be 7th..."

Which were all soundbites which were playing DOWN expectations. About time we started talking ourselves UP a bit.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Ohhh poor lambs wouldnt want to put pressure on them would we? Its not like other jobs also have pressure to meet budgets or targets or stay in business!

Lets give them a cuddle instead.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Perhaps it is time the players were told that they have to win.
It might engender the sort of committment and effort we need in a relegation dogfight and the sooner we start getting three points from home games the better

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I seem to remember a thread about the Hereford home game that apparently was a "must win" game however many months ago that was.

I think every game from now on is huge and we're capable of winning any of them, so although we should win more games at home, I wouldn't put this as a must win ahead of any of the others to be honest.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
In order to get out of our current position Id say every game was a must win.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Putting pedantry to one side: since we fell into the relegation zone. OK the world won't stop turning if we don't win: but a win would be very handy

Agreed, which is why I was a bit puzzled with the "Must Win" comment. Yes we are in the bottom four, but we don't HAVE to win this game. Nothing will happen if we don't win, will it?

Edit: Having said that, I think it's a game we SHOULD be winning.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Agreed, which is why I was a bit puzzled with the "Must Win" comment. Yes we are in the bottom four, but we don't HAVE to win this game. Nothing will happen if we don't win, will it?

well yes if the teams below us and above us win we will slip further into a relegation battle and we might not be able to get out of it.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
"Must win game", "Massive game"... Come ON! Can't we have some new cliches please, chaps? I mean, to see in cold print that "Cheltenham is a massive game" somewhat debases the currency, as well as deservedly inviting ridicule.

Maybe it's just me. But, until relegation is certain, or promotion secured, and while they might not actually be, er, "massive", aren't ALL games of the "Must win" variety?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

Edit: Having said that, I think it's a game we SHOULD be winning.

so, the only must win game we will have this season then is one in which we HAVE to get three points or else we are mathmatically relegated?

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
I think it is a must win game to be honest as I don't think we'll get anything at home to Peterborough on Tuesday night, but we'll then win 3-0 at Edgar Street :ascarf:

humpy

Mar 13, 2006
worthing
surely every game you play when in relegation zone should be must win

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
We need to win against teams in the bottom half of the table as they're the only teams we can catch.

We lose against them it is inevitable we will be at the bottom of the table. Think home and away we have only got 10 points from the teams in the bottom 6 that arent us, 6 of those points from the teams below us.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
so, the only must win game we will have this season then is one in which we HAVE to get three points or else we are mathmatically relegated?

No, a game against someone who are level on points with 12th is not a MUST win. Yes it's a game we should be looking to win, but if we don't win it's not going to doom us, nor is it going to result in any sort of sacking (you wouldn't have thought). A game against the teams directly around us, yes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here