Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hart, owuso and whing offered new deals

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
My guess is that Slade will be looking to sign a better keeper than either FDM or Sullivan. In my opinion there is little to choose between the two and any future improvement in the latter has to be taken on trust.

As FDM still has another year on his contract, retaining him is the sensible financial option if a better class keeper is on the shopping list in the summer.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Not impressed with the release list. I trust Slade, so I will obviously give him the benefit of the doubt, but I think some of the players we have released is madness. I understand why peope might want a 'cull', but the fact it that we are a club operating within its means and we can't afford a whole new squad. I don't understand how players like Sullivan or Hinshelwood would not be decent squad players (who both have potential to improve for various reasons), and with Fraser and Loft it just seems crazy again to let young local players go who are not paid as much and love the club. Didn't we see in the survival that this was what kept us in League 1?

Sullivan - to be fair, if Slade wants a new No. 1 I can see why he let Sully go, for the players sake as much as ours. He is not good enough to be a first choice yet but he is too good to be a number 3.

Loft - This is the worst decision of all. He's young and has looked impressive in the spell he had in the team, and definetely had the potential to get better as he grew in confidence. Can't believe we haven't at least given him another year to stake a place in a team now that he's finally broken into it and impressed.

Fraser - Don't think he's 1st team worthy, but again crazy to let a local guy go who loves the club and will provide good enough back up, and also has potential to improve.

Hinsh - Most understandable as he hasn't really featured. I've been watching Albion much longer than Slade and I know how good Hinsh could be, but I suppose Slade isn't interested in waiting any longer to find out. I would have given him another year to become the Championship quality player he was, especially since I think he's had a decent season considering how long he's been out.

What I don't understand is where we're going to sign all these new midfielders from. We already needed about 2 or 3 more, since we needed a winger and another CM at least. Now we only really have Cox (McLeod isn't good enough for 1st team on what we've seen so far) so we need 3 other midfielders, and we've let all our back up go so where Slade thinks he is finding all these players from to sit on the bench I don't know. I just hope he isn't planning on signing a load of journeyman Yeovil players.

Still love Slade but not at all impressed. Hope he proves me wrong.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Isn't it funny how things change... last summer NSC was pissed off that Loft was given another year. This Summer NSC is OUTRAGED that Loft has been released.

It is funny how your perception of a player can change over a season.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Hence Spider's comments being, for me, premature.

How big is this bag? Big enough to sign the players we needed to improve the team and to resign a squad when we had players good enough to fill the back up roles anyway?

I'll agree that I'm perhaps being critical - I did say in my opening post that in reality we have no choice but to trust Slade for now, as he has obviously done so well for us and hopefully has a plan. I just can't escape the feeling that, come January time, when we have loads of injuries and we've realised that some new signings aren't good enough and some don't care about the club, we'll wonder exactly what makes these more expensive players better than the ones who were desperate to play for Brighton that we released in the summer.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
How big is this bag? Big enough to sign the players we needed to improve the team and to resign a squad when we had players good enough to fill the back up roles anyway?

I'll agree that I'm perhaps being critical - I did say in my opening post that in reality we have no choice but to trust Slade for now, as he has obviously done so well for us and hopefully has a plan. I just can't escape the feeling that, come January time, when we have loads of injuries and we've realised that some new signings aren't good enough and some don't care about the club, we'll wonder exactly what makes these more expensive players better than the ones who were desperate to play for Brighton that we released in the summer.

That's the risk every manager at every club has to face every year.

Are you saying you'd rather risk having an inferior squad just in case players in a better squad get injured? In which case, let me point you to the injuries list at the club this year. A squad that hardly pulled up any trees, and was still mostly crocked.

How about considering that come January we've got players in who ARE going to make a positive difference? And aren't going to be injured? And DO want to play for a promotion-chasing side? Go on, I dare you.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
That's the risk every manager at every club has to face every year.

Are you saying you'd rather risk having an inferior squad just in case players in a better squad get injured? In which case, let me point you to the injuries list at the club this year. A squad that hardly pulled up any trees, and was still mostly crocked.

How about considering that come January we've got players in who ARE going to make a positive difference? And aren't going to be injured? And DO want to play for a promotion-chasing side? Go on, I dare you.

But can you realistically see us signing a whole squad of players better than what we had who are going to make this positive influence? Not only the money required to sign and maintain the squad, but also keeping all these players happy who, if they are going to be better than what we had, would have to have been previously League 1 regulars. Again I can't help feeling that even if we do get in a lot of quality we will also have a lot of situations like Livermore where we sign a decent player that, due to not getting in the team, loses interest in the club.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
But can you realistically see us signing a whole squad of players better than what we had who are going to make this positive influence? Not only the money required to sign and maintain the squad, but also keeping all these players happy who, if they are going to be better than what we had, would have to have been previously League 1 regulars. Again I can't help feeling that even if we do get in a lot of quality we will also have a lot of situations like Livermore where we sign a decent player that, due to not getting in the team, loses interest in the club.

Glass half empty then? You're in for a gloomy summer!

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Glass half empty then? You're in for a gloomy summer!

Not necessarily. I probably sound more annoyed about it than I actually am, since as I have said I do trust Slade to make the right decision. Given that I trust him I'm also excited to see the quality he is now going to have to bring in. I have a nagging feeling that he's made some poor decisions over the retained list that will hopefully be forgotten by next Christmas when our new squad is settled. At the moment I'm just questioning the decision based on gut reaction, if we sign a squad of great players in the summer it's irrelevant anyway. I find it unlikely, but we'll see!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
with a lot of good players released by other clubs I am looking forward to having a squad made up of QUALITY rather than journeymen who just make up the numbers.
I think we have 5 or 6 more to leave yet via the "available for transfer" list (once published) and I trust RS implicitly to build a more compact, more talented, and more competitive squad than last year.

:albion2::albion2:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Jesus wept. Move away from the Mogadon. Step AWAY from the Mogadon. Nothing of interest lies there. STEP AWAY.

You are seriously over-playing the quality of our squad from this season if you think we can't get any better than what we had.

Jimbo26

Jan 25, 2007
Portslade Old Village
Jeez, that is quite a culling. Biggest shocks are Loft, Fraser and Sullivan. I hope we don't live to regret those decisions. Also, releasing Jakie, and Wills, Pearson and Gargan seem quite risky given that they may flourish later....
Yeah. They will flourish in the Sussex County League without doubt

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I cant understand why people keep harping on about Loft being young and getting better, he is 22 for god sake and although better than when he arrived he not progressing well enough for a league 1 team with promotion ambitions.

Also just to put things into context, Sam Gargan was on about 35k a year so getting rid of Loft, Fraser etc saves more than a lot of people would imagine!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Wonder if he will offer Hart and Owusu 2 year deals?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here