Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hart Of The Matter Special: Stewards

Feb 14, 2010
Job done, they are looking nationally with regard to stewarding policy. They dont tell the Kop a Anfield or Leeds, or spurs or Forest ect to sit down so the snatch squads at Brighton are now a thing of the past and the kids at Brighton just like the kids at Liverpool can enjoy their day. Well done the club

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The club should be investigating all the different ways improvements can be made by taking into account the valuable feedback they've already got, rather than simply justifying the current unpopular policy and saying "if you don't like it, send me an e-mail" as if this will somehow change things for the better at Falmer.

I would have thought it would have a better chance than joining a few dozen moaners on an internet forum and posting your complaint on there !

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Can you give those of us without seagulls world an idea on what is said?

So presumably you have to subscribe to be able to see this ?

It's only available to the super fans like me.

I would have thought the club might want this type of thing available to all supporters to watch as only superfans have Seagulls World.

I believe it is only available to those who got West Ham Tickets.

The video is available *ahem* free to view

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Free to view for everybody now. RH (good initials) comes across as a very reasonable person, much better than his appearance on Roar.
Has the world changed that much? I don't remember this ever being an issue in the West or South stand at the Goldstone.
What is more shocking to me is Harty's tales of personal abuse, when visiting other grounds.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Free to view for everybody now. RH (good initials) comes across as a very reasonable person, much better than his appearance on Roar.
Has the world changed that much? I don't remember this ever being an issue in the West or South stand at the Goldstone.
What is more shocking to me is Harty's tales of personal abuse, when visiting other grounds.

The defence is that the old North, South and West stand fans have all mixed together in Withers South stand. It will/better change at The Amex.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I heard the same a week or so ago, yep - they are really working to hard to accomodate every single "type" of supporter at the Falmer (although it appears that you if you work for the club you have to call it The Amex....:lolol:)

Not sure there is going to the "right old f**cking swear up section", but you get the idea.

I've met Richard Hebbard a few times (at SOL) - he's a good man who has worked tirelessly for the club on the new stadium and stadia really are his thing. There is much more to him than someone who simply tells the stewards what to do.

Of course there are things I would disagree with him about and I had to complain to him once or twice - but we're actually quite lucky to have him and hopefully a few will realise that when they walk into the new place.

Most of us have been dreaming about Falmer (sorry The Amex), but he's been one those whose been actively making it happen.
All fair enough, and I'm pleased there is an acknoweldgement from the club that there ARE different types of fan with different ideas and expectations of what they want from the 'matchday experience'. Although I'm a fan of standing to watch football and break the rules with the clearest of consciences (not at Withean obviously but at 'proper' grounds with big crowds) I accept that not every one feels the same way. I would expect the rules to be vigorously enforced in the Family Stand, hell they can even have goal music piped in there if 'the families' want it, and places like the 1901 club, but likewise I hope a more tolerant blind eye is turned towards the North Stand if that's where the more passionate supporters are going to end up. (Either than or I hope we all stand up so they can't eject us).

I guess the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. Like the transport issues we aren't really going to know how the land lies until we're actually at 'Falmex'

All fair enough, and I'm pleased there is an acknoweldgement from the club that there ARE different types of fan with different ideas and expectations of what they want from the 'matchday experience'. Although I'm a fan of standing to watch football and break the rules with the clearest of consciences (not at Withean obviously but at 'proper' grounds with big crowds) I accept that not every one feels the same way. I would expect the rules to be vigorously enforced in the Family Stand, hell they can even have goal music piped in there if 'the families' want it, and places like the 1901 club, but likewise I hope a more tolerant blind eye is turned towards the North Stand if that's where the more passionate supporters are going to end up. (Either than or I hope we all stand up so they can't eject us).

I guess the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. Like the transport issues we aren't really going to know how the land lies until we're actually at 'Falmex'

I think everyone (sensible) would have to acknowledge that certain areas of fans are going to demand slightly different approaches by rote. It's a given that any adult (or child) swearing in a designated family area will more stand out for admonishment, they'd have to know the seriousness of what they were doing too. Similarly, one child standing or running about in the stands would quicker get attention, than perhaps if they did so in the family area. Visiting fans expect the same 'norms' as they are allowed at their home stadia, and several others they may visit around Britain, that they can't get here.

Withdean has demanded a sensitive approach - and required/still requires patience and understanding from fans. It's not considerable, to allow that we are getting a new stadium so we can now breathe a big sigh of relief and behave with careless abandon. Not only have FA and Council rules become ever more stringent, the club has been under the microscopes of both the above, as well as the neighbours at Withdean. Remembering too, that there are those in the houses you pass on a home matchday who STILL try to object and make it difficult for the club!! BUT we don't give a collective finger of salute to Withdean because of a few - we should be thankful to the whole area that DID put up with us, even if in quiet reluctance.
So would now be a time to let everything go loose, just as we all see the light at the end of a long arduous tunnel, and with around £100,000,000 put in a very special pot? That wouldn't thank the good neighbours, the council, the club directors and staff who also suffered 'the slings and arrows'.

Whatever fans think of stewarding, many of the stewards are Albion supporters - some who have stood on Goldstone terraces, MOST are as interested in the club as the fans in stands are, and all are focused on their work....for the club I have not met one steward who couldn't give a monkeys and just wants the money - does that sort of regard exist at every other job of work?

Yes there are stresses and strains involved for all parties, right from the top to the bottom, but while we get ready to exhale with a collective sigh of relief to enter our INCREDIBLE new stadium, try to understand the whole spectrum of what gets us there, hopefully unblemished by scandal or uproar, and will best allow us to celebrate a new dawning with pride!

I have read the passionate views about 'us and them', and even when there have been mistakes by any parties - everyone do their best to understand and get past it. Then on day one at The American Express Stadium, walk in there knowing that it was a collective effort (home and away) that helped to get us there - and YOU were an integral part of that.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I think it is quite good that we have an ex copper in charge of this element of the stadium, at least he knows how to deal with wankers and tossers bent on making things difficult for everyone else, without becoming abusive or offended himself.

Obviously a video made with the best of intentions but lacked discussing a couple of key issues:

1. Lack of consistancy within the ground - large away following can stand - large home can't, small away can't etc. etc

2. Appearance of some stewarding being intimidatory when not necessary

Yes you ain't going to please all the people all the time and some people are grade 1 dickheads - but most aren't.

If you are in H block you know it's not a place for a 90 year old granny so show some degree of common sense.

I got the impression that much of the policy is based on feedback from the more genteele of our fanbase and not those that really want to show more passion.

I was very pleased at the final bit, which in many ways was the most important in respect of different areas of Falmer being designated for different types of fans and therefore stewarded in a 'different' way. In principle I think this is the correct thing to do but could lead to problems with interpretation on both sides.

Overall the piece could have addressed more specific issues which have been raised on here by many sensible posters but it chose to be too general for my liking.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
You can't please all the people all of the time.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It seemed perfectly acceptable to me and perhaps the proof is more when home fans have a far better choice of what type of people they want to be sitting with that may change some attitudes.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
And what they don't need is stewards acting like provocative idiots.

If stewards are not being helpful in their manner of behaviour, then take a note of their jacket number and let the club know. It's the only way that they can deal with the stewards unrequired actions.

There is cctv all around the ground which can be used for the benefit of the fans as well as the stewards

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here