Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harry POTTER

The secret of JK's success?

• JKR is a modern-day SHAKESPEARE and HP books appeal to all age groups

Votes: 22 36.7%
  • CHANCER who knicked all her good idea and sold them to a mentally stunted adult generation

Votes: 28 46.7%
  • I HAVE ANOTHER OPINION ON THE MATTER

Votes: 10 16.7%

• Total voters

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Seen a couple of the films, don't really do anything for me. The books might be good but I've never had the urge to read them.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I've read the first 4 I think, and whilst they are good, there's better stuff out there - as someone else mentioned the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman is absolutely superb. PLUS she's a massive sell-out, which makes me not want to read any more of her stuff. Went to a good university though.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Hannibal smith said:
My thoughts exactly. A lot of the best books I have read in recent years have been kids books. Philip Pullmans His Dark Materials series is superb. Brighton born author Philip Reeeves Mortal Engines quartet is a great read.

I've never understood the distinction between kids and adult books personally. A Philip Pullman book is no more a kids only book than say Terry Pratchett.

His Dark Materials is one of my favourite trilogies ever. We went to see the stage show of it and that was awesome as well, I was worried it would ruin my interpretation of the books but it was just how I had pictured everything.

The film is sure to ruin it though.

Not read any Harry Potter nor seen any of the films.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Starry said:

The film is sure to ruin it though.

Could go either way. Lord of the Rings was done superbly well. As others have mentioned, The Da Vinci code was gubbins. Depends whose directing it - Please tell me its not someone like Jerry Bruickhiemer.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
I haven't seen the Lord of the Rings because I adored the book and couldn't bear to have my childhood fantasy of what it all looked like ruined by a film so I have my imagery in my head, unspoilt by a Hollywood movie!

His Dark Materials is directed by Chris Weiz, the first one is due for release in December this year. Daniel Craig, Nicole Kidman, Eva Green are in it.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
SULLY COULDNT SHOOT said:
JKR is an ungrateful old bag who refuses permission for anything related to Harry Potteer to be used in the English Language Teaching profession... the same profession she used to work for. Thanks Ms Rowling for kicking us in the teeth by not allowing us access to one of the best sources for getting children interested in learning a language :censored: :censored: :censored:

Harry and friends appear in two different English texts I use. ???

5 past Kuipers

Is that the time?
Feb 22, 2006
Tunbridge Wells
Starry said:
I haven't seen the Lord of the Rings because I adored the book and couldn't bear to have my childhood fantasy of what it all looked like ruined by a film so I have my imagery in my head, unspoilt by a Hollywood movie!

That's a bit precious isn't it?

How is someone else's interpretation going to sully your own?

PS - it's not really Hollywood - one of their studios may have paid for it but that is about all the input they had.

Last edited:

5 past Kuipers

Is that the time?
Feb 22, 2006
Tunbridge Wells
mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:
i REFUSE to be sucked in and read the da vinchi code, or potter, or lord of the rings.

Not all popular things suck (although the DaVinci Code does!!). I think you're denying yourself there just to be a bit cool. Or something.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Tooting Gull said:
Where the Potter phenomenon becomes tragic is the number of adults that opt out by reading them rather than something with more intellectual guts.

I think that's unfair. Sometimes people just want to be entertained - it isn't a crime.
I was always pretty outspoken about my contempt for adults reading the HP books - until I read them :blush:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
5 past Kuipers said:
Not all popular things suck (although the DaVinci Code does!!). I think you're denying yourself there just to be a bit cool. Or something.

I enjoyed the da Vinci Code...the only one I didnt like of Dan Brown's books was Digital Fortress, although very clever, it became tedious. Angels and demons was an absolutely brilliant read!

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
I thought the Da Vinci code was a good trashy read. The equivalent of those crap magazines your wife comes home with that you can’t help but look through even though you know they are mind numbing. There are hundreds of better reads than Dan Brown books but none that have taped into popular conspiracy culture better than he has.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Hannibal smith said:
I thought the Da Vinci code was a good trashy read. The equivalent of those crap magazines your wife comes home with that you can’t help but look through even though you know they are mind numbing. There are hundreds of better reads than Dan Brown books but none that have taped into popular conspiracy culture better than he has.

To be honest, I had not heard of any other of the conspiricy theorists in this particular genre, so I will have to bow to your superior knowledge....at the end of the day I am very much a easy type reader...the only real heavy book I have read recently is The Auschwitz book to follow the TV series.

I only really read in bed and on the train, after a stressful day at work, the last thing I want is something "heavy" to read

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Dave the Gaffer said:
at the end of the day I am very much a easy type reader...the only real heavy book I have read recently is The Auschwitz book to follow the TV series.

I've had that Auschwitz books for 6 months without reading it. Currently on Terry Pratchett as its more suited to reading in bed. I'll get round to it one day!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Hannibal smith said:
I've had that Auschwitz books for 6 months without reading it. Currently on Terry Pratchett as its more suited to reading in bed. I'll get round to it one day!

I am reading Going Postal - I have read all the Pratchett Books. the Tiffany Aching Series by Pratchett ( hatful of Sky, Wintersmith etc) are very good read

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
5 past Kuipers said:

the story of a boy wizard inspires me as much as a cabbage.

lord of the rings, well ive seen the film so thats good enough for me

and da vinchi code is indeed poo.

i just dont like storys. i like books about real people/events

and yes i AM COOL

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Dave the Gaffer said:
what?

I work with people who are mostly graduates, who are mostly highly intelligent people who are tedchnically brilliant in their field, yet the favourite newspapare around? The Sun.

Perhaps people want a form of escapism from their daily lives that having to think about things they read!

Proper graduates read the Daily Star. You need to up your requirements!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here