Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harry POTTER

The secret of JK's success?

• JKR is a modern-day SHAKESPEARE and HP books appeal to all age groups

Votes: 22 36.7%
  • CHANCER who knicked all her good idea and sold them to a mentally stunted adult generation

Votes: 28 46.7%
  • I HAVE ANOTHER OPINION ON THE MATTER

Votes: 10 16.7%

• Total voters

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
I'm continually FASCINATED with the unstoppable phenomenon that is Harry Potter.

I'll admit upfront that I've not read the books, although I have seen much of the films. From the films, at least, it appears pretty standard stuff to me, and not especially original stuff at that.

But what about the BOOKS? Make no mistake - this is a series of books for children. The fact they have proved to massively popular with adults says a lot more about the adults reading them than the books themselves, but what is it that make them so popular?

Is JK Rowling a talented writer, or just a chancer who struck it lucky with her first half-decent idea? I'll be interested to see how she follows up after HP is done and dusted.

But what do YOU think, random internet-using Brighton supporter? Have you read the books? Seen the films? Do you have an opinion? I'm CURIOUS as to the reasons behind this literary success story.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Haven't read any of the books and only watched one and a half of the films, fell asleep during the second one and woke up during the credits. There is a lot of hype about her work and that seems to be what attracts a lot of people, a bit like the book The da Vinci Code, people read it because they don't want to be left out when it comes to having an opinion on literature. If sheep could read, this is what they would choose.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I've read them all and enjoyed them. I didn't enjoy the films so much though, but maybe that's just me.

Mind you, I very rarely enjoy films that have been adapted from books I like (The Da Vinci Code movie, for instance, was a MASSIVE let-down). The only book adaptation I can say off the top of my head that I enjoyed in movie form was Stephen King's 'The Green Mile'.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Stumpy Tim said:
I've read them all, and they're QUALITY

My thoughts exactly. A lot of the best books I have read in recent years have been kids books. Philip Pullmans His Dark Materials series is superb. Brighton born author Philip Reeeves Mortal Engines quartet is a great read.

I've never understood the distinction between kids and adult books personally. A Philip Pullman book is no more a kids only book than say Terry Pratchett.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Read them all,and they get more and more tedious.

Can't blame the woman for churning them out,though,eh? Is she an Albion supporter at all?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Harry Potter is a book for children about wizards. What more needs to be said?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
JKR is an ungrateful old bag who refuses permission for anything related to Harry Potteer to be used in the English Language Teaching profession... the same profession she used to work for. Thanks Ms Rowling for kicking us in the teeth by not allowing us access to one of the best sources for getting children interested in learning a language :censored: :censored: :censored:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
but she HAS given permission for Universal Studios to build a Harry Potter theme park in Orlando. That will earn her a few bob.

I've never read any of the books but I've seen all the films.

They should make a series of films of the Terry Pratchett books, that would be quality. The Hogfather was a good start. More please.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Brilliant i think - but then i started reading them as a kid so my opinion is slightly flawed.

Can't wait for the last one though:)

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
When i was younger i read the first 3 or 4, but when they started getting to be long books i gave p cos im a lazy bastard, started reading the first two before the hype so i think of myself as a bit of a trend setter :p but just lost interest cos im a lazy bastard and cnt b bothered to read that much, my mum and sister (23) love them. She is a great author and i loved the books but i think the films are shite and the bird that plays Hermione (sp) is a right bitch apparently, i know a lad that was an extra and the fame went to her head a bit too much and he told me a stry of her slapping an extra cos he got something wrong and then just being like they can replace you but not me...

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:
i REFUSE to be sucked in and read the da vinchi code, or potter, or lord of the rings.

Some would argue Lord of the Hens is in a different class to Harry Potter. I would tend to agree, even though I've not read either of them, and probably never will.

:jester:

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Seeing that the last book comes out this year, i have made the effort in reading them and have just finished the 3rd one. I'm not nearly as gripped with them as with with other books that i read but they are a decent enough stories

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Rowling is a very talented author of childrens books. I don't see why that couldn't be enough for her and the publishers, it's something to be proud of.

Where the Potter phenomenon becomes tragic is the number of adults that opt out by reading them rather than something with more intellectual guts.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Having read 1-5 (but not read number 6 yet) I think they are OK, but don't really hook me as much as a good Kelley Armstrong, Stephen King, Toby Litt or James Herbert.

Also, I'd like to point out that my favourite book is probably To Killing a Mocking Bird, so don't see myself as an uneducated fool as some seem to think of anyone that's ever read a HP book. Some of the classics are classics for a reason (although Dickens books are hard going).

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I really enjoy harry Potter ( as does the rest of the family).

If you are wanting a rattling good read, then Rowling's style is very much that...if you are wanting something highbrow, then dont read it...simple as.

the testament to her writing is in schools, the teachers have noticed a vast increase in kids wanting to read books since the harry potter books have been released.

Again this is one of those questions that depends entirely on taste, like music.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Tooting Gull said:

Where the Potter phenomenon becomes tragic is the number of adults that opt out by reading them rather than something with more intellectual guts.

what?

I work with people who are mostly graduates, who are mostly highly intelligent people who are tedchnically brilliant in their field, yet the favourite newspapare around? The Sun.

Perhaps people want a form of escapism from their daily lives that having to think about things they read!

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Dave the Gaffer said:

Perhaps people want a form of escapism from their daily lives that having to think about things they read!

Quite. I tend to read in bed. Whilst Tolstoy and Doestoevski would probably have the desired effect of sending me to sleep its not something I want to engage in at that hour of the day after working all day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here