Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harry - interesting background from Independent

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The seeds of Harry Redknapp's departure from Portsmouth were sown 14 months ago in the boardroom at Birmingham City. It was not the 2-0 defeat that Redknapp's side suffered that caused the problem - it was the conversation afterwards between Birmingham's chief executive, Karren Brady, and Milan Mandaric.

For some time the Portsmouth chairman had been troubled by the costs he was incurring as he bankrolled the club's astonishing rise to the Premiership. Mandaric was even more troubled to hear from Brady that the Birmingham wage bill, in their first year in the top flight, had been £13m. Portsmouth, a gob-smacked Mandaric replied, were paying £17m (it is now over £22m). Birmingham's remains lower, as do many others'.

As the two chatted, Redknapp was also talking. Downstairs he was telling the media that Portsmouth were in a relegation battle, but he did not have the money to bring in new players.

When news of this filtered back to Mandaric he was furious. He had grown increasingly irritated at what he perceived as Redknapp's implied criticisms of him by claiming he had achieved promotion on a shoe-string and was working a solo miracle. Mandaric wanted a share of the credit, but he also wanted to make sure that his money was spent wisely.

Mandaric did his maths. Forty-nine players had arrived in under three years, many had left as well. The wage bill had more than doubled, £7m was spent the summer before last on transfer fees and agents' costs. The players were old, also. There would be no re-sale value for Steve Stone, Patrik Berger, Teddy Sheringham or Eyal Berkovic, for example and they were all on significant wages. Even the midfielder Nigel Quashie was earning a reputed £36,000-a-week (and has since received a pay rise).

Mandaric also questioned the coaching that took place, grumbled about the lack of interest in young players coming through, the lack of strategy - and heard allegations, from former players such as Boris Zivkovic, who arrived and left within months, that Redknapp showed little interest.

Redknapp, who, ironically, had been director of football, succeeded Graham Rix in March 2002. Portsmouth finished the season 17th in the old First Division. The next year they were promoted, finishing 18 points clear of the play-offs.

Even during the promotion year Mandaric complained about the money he was paying out. He surveyed a crumbling Fratton Park and realised that crowds of 20,000 do not help balance the books. Among his plans is a £36m scheme for a Pompey Village development with a 35,000-capacity stadium. It needs to be paid for.

Towards the end of last season Mandaric decided to put the squeeze on Redknapp. He wanted more accountability, more strategy and more control. Their meetings turned into a confrontation. Suddenly, Redknapp was going live on Sky Sports News to berate his boss, accusing him of being a "liar", of trying to force out him, his assistant, Jim Smith, and the coach, Kevin Bond. Mandaric and Redknapp reached an uneasy truce as Portsmouth secured 13th place in the Premiership.

Redknapp won the manager of the month award for October, but Mandaric won his battle to appoint someone over his head. His friend Velimir Zajec joined the board and his title was finessed to executive director.

The crunch came. At a dinner function, Mandaric sat next to Redknapp and began to talk things through. He was plain. Zajec would have greater control than Redknapp had thought. But then no one really believed that the Croat was going to accept a secondary role. Zajec would be in control of transfers and would recommend players. Mandaric also stressed his desire to get the "best potential" from the squad - a loaded comment in itself.

On Saturday, Redknapp looked uneasy as he denied he was about to resign. His words sounded hollow. He leaves Portsmouth 12th in the Premiership - better than last season, as Mandaric demanded - and in the cold light of day the chairman-owner will surely give a shudder as he wonders whether or not he has really done the right thing.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
"Even the midfielder Nigel Quashie was earning a reputed £36,000-a-week (and has since received a pay rise)."

Surely not ... :nono:

I can think of better ways to spend £1.8m a year!

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Their problem now, just like with Leeds was. How do they reduce the wage structure and yet keep the keep a squad suitable to ensure survival.

Players who gone there for premiership football (ie: P.Berger), can you see them agreeing to reducing their monthly pay packets?

Bossman looks likely, looks grey imo.

:nono:

Ned Zelic

Nov 6, 2004
While Arry has got results on the pitch you can understand Mandarics concerns, especially Harry's transfer policies and use of certain agents. If I was bankrolling Pompey I'd be a bit pissed off to see a large amount of my money in the pockets of agents and their friends in football management.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Repugnant Toad said:
"Even the midfielder Nigel Quashie was earning a reputed £36,000-a-week (and has since received a pay rise)."

Surely not 36k....got to be bullshit :ohmy:

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Rednapp for England :clap: :clap: :clap:

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I dunno - maybe I'm seeing this too simplistically, but;

While I accept that it must be frustrating seeing a ton of cash go to agents, it amazes me that wealthy people get into football and then bitch about how much it costs them, as if it were some kind of surprise to them. Mandaric must have seen the state of Fratton Park, their league position, I assume he looked at their books, WTF did he think was going to happen? They were going to get into the top flight on a shoestring, stay there, then push on, all the while without placing undue strain on his pockets?

Unbelievable - what Pompey have spent, in relative terms, is not that much to establish themselves in the Premiership from where they were. The naivety of people who think they'll make money out of getting involved with a club like Pompey is staggering.

If, as a wealthy 'businessman', you don't like expensive toys, keep the f*** out of football or invest in one of the very, very few clubs from which you could turn a profit from your investment. Sheesh.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Is one of the issues here, that not only have they signed old pro's that they will not get a fee for, but they are paying them reasonable money and they are on longish contracts (at least 2 years)? Meaning if they go down they have to honour these, without the TV money.

Although people slag Bolton off as their transfer policy does not help youngsters, most of the high profile earners up there, are on one year deals, so if it does go wrong, at least they can get rid of them, straight after relegation.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Milan's concerns were right. its just he should have slowly put it all in place behind 'Arry's back.

I mean they have no youth academy. if 'arry's wheeling and dealing went wrong...like it does, they would be screwed anyway. I mean...Borris Zivkovic is a prime example. and all the crap he bought for west ham towards the end...camara anyone?. they finished 15th in 2000-1, 'arry's last season. in roeders first season..they finished 7th

there is a difference with bolton..like uncle buck said..their players are usually on 1 year deals...plus he doesnt go for has beens as opposed to players who have a point to prove. I guess he got les ferdinand but i doubt les would demand a huge wage anymore, as he is lucky to be a t a premiership club. he just wants to play in the premier league

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here