Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harry Carpenter RIP

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
A very sad loss IMHO: truly great commentator.

"And your carpenter is Harry Commentator", as Frank Bough once said on Grandstand.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
He is an integral memory from my childhood.

Thanks Harry, RIP.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Very sad. Puts me in mind of the Japanese light/middleweight that was suicidal after losing his title in the early 70s.

He went home and committed Hari Karpenter.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Very sad, he joins an ever-growing list of definitive commentators that have passed away recently - Bill McLaren, Frindall, Gutteridge.

Murray Walker must be shitting himself.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Memories of some great fighters with his commentary always spot on.
John H Stracey, Dave Boy Green, Ken Buchanan, Alan Minter, but my favourite was Mark Kaylor vs Errol Christie. Fantastic fight.

Then there was the banter with Big Frank; it would have been very easy to patronise Bruno, but Harry had enourmous respect for all fighters.

Top bloke.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Murray walker , quality lines, ' mansell's slowing down , he's taking it easy, no he's not it's a new lap record !'

"Well let's, uh, lugsh, luxurrriate in a little hypothesis and try to work out what, if anything, is wrong with Alain Prost." (Prost was being caught by Berger late in the race.) "Has he got tire problems? Very unlikely. Is Prost having fuel trouble? Well, who knows? I think it's a bit unlikely. Is Prost having gearbox trouble? I can't tell you. And since P, uh, Prost is unlikely to come on the radio and let me know, you'll have to guess along with me."

:lolol:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
In amongst all the inevitable stuff about Frank Bruno - or "Mr Dettori" to you and me - I hope that his excellent relationship with (Bushy's namesake) Muhammed Ali doesn't get overlooked either: there's some quality "when Harry met Ali" footage from the '60s knocking around.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Memories of some great fighters with his commentary always spot on.
John H Stracey, Dave Boy Green, Ken Buchanan, Alan Minter, but my favourite was Mark Kaylor vs Errol Christie. Fantastic fight.

Then there was the banter with Big Frank; it would have been very easy to patronise Bruno, but Harry had enourmous respect for all fighters.

Top bloke.
which do you reckon was the better fight between kaylor and christie , the one inside or the one outside the ring ?:lolol:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Maybe i am wrong,but i just don't see 'sport' throwing up the likes of Harry,Bill Mclaren and others any more,i think that they were more than just comentators most grew in an era of hardship and that i felt would often come through in what they said. They often kept it simple and let the picture tell the story,they also carried what i consider was an air of manners and decency (something which many lack to day) i am sure many here would have loved to have had the chance to share a pint and chat about life and sport they seemed those type of guys. Thanks Harry.

Attachments

• 1977_harry_carpenter_sylweb.jpg
    1977_harry_carpenter_sylweb.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 231

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
One of the best lines ever:

"He's HURT Tyson. Go on Frank get in there!"

Probably my favourite line of all time!

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Maybe i am wrong,but i just don't see 'sport' throwing up the likes of Harry,Bill Mclaren and others any more,i think that they were more than just comentators most grew in an era of hardship and that i felt would often come through in what they said. They often kept it simple and let the picture tell the story,they also carried what i consider was an air of manners and decency (something which many lack to day) i am sure many here would have loved to have had the chance to share a pint and chat about life and sport they seemed those type of guys. Thanks Harry.
Very true.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Arguably the best sporting comentator ever. I'm no boxing fan but he always held my interest. very sad.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008

Absolutely spot on. They were of a generation that didn't talk up the event beforehand, but commentated on it as it happened. If it turned out to be exciting or a one-off (eg the rumble in the jungle) they still had somewhere to go with the reporting. Harry was the master of that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here