Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harper

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I do not think that he is the answer to our goalkeeper situation as I wasnt over impressed with him while on loan. Would
sooner go for Mannone or Almunia from Arsenal, or better still Ashdown from Portsmouth.

Almunia is a liability and just as bad as Ankergren, I have zero confidence in him.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
We need giant goalkeepers that play like giants.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Given a run of games he would be better than what we have, however I am hopeful we can get a better option in.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Almunia is a liability and just as bad as Ankergren, I have zero confidence in him.

Can't understand that at all. Comparing Almunia and Ankergren is basically impossible, considering their pedigree difference.

[MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION], who did you e-mail at the club?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Harper has spent his career as a second string keeper and looked like it when he played for us. Knees have gone, hence his lack of agility. Refused team orders to play out from the back and definitely no better than we have. Family won't move South. Remind me, why might he come to Brighton and why would we welcome him?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Going by the e mail I received from the Scouting and player recruitment manager I would think not as he is not from the UK .

Giorgallidis perhaps?

He's the best in Cyprus but I wouldn't hold your breath to be honest for any cypriot keeper to come here, acclimatise, and make an impact.

Not sure I rated Harper any better than what we have - some good points and some not so good and if his family is settled in the north east with the kids at a crucial stage of their schooling, then at this stage in his career it seems an unlikely move in fairness to him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Can't understand that at all. Comparing Almunia and Ankergren is basically impossible, considering their pedigree difference.

I sent a letter to David Burke and received an e mail back from Darren Wrack whose title is Scouting and Player Recruitment Manager or so his e mail says.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles

I'm not doing this again. Almunia is a keeper who makes mistake after mistake after mistake. At his age he should be in his prime, he is not. Would you HONESTLY feel comfortable with him in goal?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I sent a letter to David Burke and received an e mail back from Darren Wrack whose title is Scouting and Player Recruitment Manager or so his e mail says.

It's interesting that they replied, fair play to them for that. Do we think that's the same Darren Wrack who played for Walsall?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm not doing this again. Almunia is a keeper who makes mistake after mistake after mistake. At his age he should be in his prime, he is not. Would you HONESTLY feel comfortable with him in goal?

Yes, I would. He didn't put a foot wrong for West Ham at the Amex earlier this season, and whilst I don't think he's good enough to play for Arsenal, he would unquestionably be good enough for a Championship team. This is a guy who has played well in the Champions League, after all. If we want a goalkeeper with experience and pedigree, Almunia wouldn't be a bad shout. I can't see it happening, and I don't particularly want it to. But if it did, I wouldn't be complaining.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Not knocking by the way BG - I think it's great if fans can put information the way of the club if they see what they think might be a real prospect wherever it might be and you have more experience than most. But putting a name into the system now will take a good while in terms of scouting and reports to even consider a move and now is close season. Nothing will happen quickly but even less so perhaps when the player is from a place with no history of providing players to a very tough league - it is a massive transition no matter how good they are.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
i fully accept what you are saying SG but I am sure that the club have access to more videos and player records than us mere mortals and so anything is possible. I am not expecting the club to pull up trees to try to sign this player but when I wrote their season hadnt finished so it was possible to have sent a scout out to see if he was any good if they so desired having checked him out first.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'm torn, I think he's better than either Brez or Casper but then I don't think it's too much of an improvement over either of them. A couple of years ago I'd have taken him in a heartbeat but now...*shrug* wouldn't be too inspired really...could do a job?

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Yes, I would. He didn't put a foot wrong for West Ham at the Amex earlier this season, and whilst I don't think he's good enough to play for Arsenal, he would unquestionably be good enough for a Championship team. This is a guy who has played well in the Champions League, after all. If we want a goalkeeper with experience and pedigree, Almunia wouldn't be a bad shout. I can't see it happening, and I don't particularly want it to. But if it did, I wouldn't be complaining.

Hey we disagree ho hum personally i'd take tomasz kuszczak any day over almunia but lets leave it at that :)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Wouldn't want him back personally also he seemed a right misery when he was a pundit on ESPN for, I think, the Newcastle game and didn't seem to like us much.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
It's interesting that they replied, fair play to them for that. Do we think that's the same Darren Wrack who played for Walsall?

It is indeed :thumbsup:

Kinda sneaked beneath the radar as an appointment. Think he initially joined us under Zigor Aranalde and the "old pals network" that was part of his journey away from gambling addiction.

Last edited:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Hey we disagree ho hum personally i'd take tomasz kuszczak any day over almunia but lets leave it at that :)

It's funny, I thought Kuszczak was disappointing for Watford at the Amex. I went into the game telling everyone it would prove to us all he was the guy we should be looking at, the longer term number 1 we all seem to want. I thought he failed the audition to be honest, I was disappointed. But we had Gonzo in goal so no-one noticed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here