Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harper and Reyes, better than Ankergren and Calderon......

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
Reyes should be in midfield, he kept popping up there rather than staying wide and didnt get forward as much as Calderon does. Bridcutt kept looking for a ball to the full back pushing on but had to pass it 30 yards back instead because Reyes hadnt got forward.

With Reyes in midfield it would leave Calderon to push on, Bridcutt or Reyes can then have a forward pass option and we can move up the pitch. If Calderon gets caught up field then Reyes can cover for him.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Too early to judge. Reyes was excellent tonight, could be a great signing. Quite fancy seeing him in midfield and bring back calderon to right back.

A big fat THIS.

Really like the look of Reyes, and think if he was playing MF then not everything would have to go through route Bridcutt and we might have that extra cutting edge going forward.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
A big fat THIS.

Really like the look of Reyes, and think if he was playing MF then not everything would have to go through route Bridcutt and we might have that extra cutting edge going forward.

One of the things that sets Reyes and Vicente apart from the rest of the team is they get the pass away in half the time and put the opposition under a bit of pressure.

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
Agreed. Tonight was the final nail in the coffin for anybody who thinks Ankergren is good enough. He's not, he makes me feel like something is going to go wrong every time he touches it. Harper, on the other hand, was totally in control of every single thing he did from the first minute. A real class act, and exactly the type of keeper we need.

Absolutely THIS.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I really hope we play Reyes in midfield, he looks exactly what we need there, great first touch and passing. What's going on with Calderon? If anyone in defence needed dropping it was Painter (although admittedly Painter has a good game last night).

Igor Gurinovich?

Mar 27, 2006
Southampton
Thought Reyes looked more solid positionally than Inigo does and from the evidence of one game looked a better defender. Not sure about the clamour to put him in midfield, unless that's his natural position.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
He'll have to do well to keep up with Dunk....

Ouch500.jpg

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
But as has been said, he's probably not used to his own team-mates behaving like spastics by passing the ball across their 18-yard line to the opposition.

Ha ha. This. I can't imagine what was going through his mind as Dunk and Greer sliced the ball back and forth in front of his box, with Carew waiting to pounce.
I was pleased how comfortable Harper was using his feet, claiming crosses, distributing the ball QUICKLY!!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Yes, on both counts.
I thought Reyes's passing was just superb, can kill a ball dead and take people on. We lost a bit of width last night - Noone was having to cover both sides and I thought he played well. OK, he overhit some crosses, but against West Ham you don't want to stick the ball in the middle, 'cos they'll just gobble them up. Deep crosses to someone ummarked would have been better.
Apart from their terrible disciplinary record, the defence looked pretty sound. Shame that one of the "risks" of deep possession play rebounded on us. But hey - a great improvement on recent games. We did miss Vicente though.
We are just struggling in the final third. We just don't seem to get players in the box quick enough, and when we do they don't have the confidence to hit the bloody ball first time. It will come I am sure.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
In a lot of the goalkeeper debates in the last season or so, it has often been mentioned that we'd struggle to find a keeper as comfortable on the ball as Ankergren. I think that has been shown to be false.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I would keep them both in the team although would prefer Reyes in the DM role next to Bridcutt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here