Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harley's Penalty - Not the worst I've seen

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Lord knows we've missed a few penalties in recent years and Harley's was worse than most of them, BUT...

It was nowhere near as bad as Robert Codner's against Bristol Rovers at Twerton Park around 1991. From what I recall, Codner got caught in two minds how to play it, stumbled as he went to strike it and the ball bobbled and rolled towards the keeper who bent down and picked it up. It had so little momentum, I am not even sure it would have crossed the line.

Anyone remember that and would you confirm my recollection that it was the ultimate worst pen ever from a Brighton player?

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Battipiedi vs Woking where he hit the bar & it bounced back to the half way line.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I have the footage of that codner pen. harleys was worse much much worse.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I remember Wilkins skying one miles over the bar against Fulham in a shoot out around 1995. I think he almost managed to clear the North Stand.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Weak and straight down the goalkeepers throat. It was BAD.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Anyone remember that and would you confirm my recollection that it was the ultimate worst pen ever from a Brighton player?

Yes and yes. I was there. Worst penalty EVER. As soon as I saw your thread title I thought of Codner at Bristol Rovers. Think we still won though (3-1?) so it wasn't quite as disasterous.

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
Lord knows we've missed a few penalties in recent years and Harley's was worse than most of them, BUT...

It was nowhere near as bad as Robert Codner's against Bristol Rovers at Twerton Park around 1991. From what I recall, Codner got caught in two minds how to play it, stumbled as he went to strike it and the ball bobbled and rolled towards the keeper who bent down and picked it up. It had so little momentum, I am not even sure it would have crossed the line.

I remember this, I personally think Harley's was worse. Every time I sparked up a fag at that game we scored...........

smiler

Jan 12, 2006
Shoreham by Sea

Totally agree - a very accurate description

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Totally agree - a very accurate description

Opinion is divided on the subject it would seem. A few seem to agree with me and a few don't. Although those people would be wrong. :p

How do we settle this? There's only one way to find out...

... we need TMLS to load his video footage of the Codner pen.

What I definitely remember of that game is that we had great fun behind the goal where Codner took the pen throwing sticks of Peperami in the air and chanting Sal-Ami (Sal-Army) to the utter bemusement of the Bristol stewards. You'd probably get banned for life doing that these days.

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011

Does not excuse harley , he is shit at this level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here