Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harding for Reading?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Simple economics:

Chairman with no money + wages to pay = selling a player if possible.

How many more times can Fatboy bail out the clubs wage bill?

I believe that we will not sign anybody until after October. MM has said that he was giving certain players until Oct (3 month contract) to prove their worth.

Is it possible that DK has said to MM no money available at the present we will speak again in October when our league position is clearer as to whether or not we are in danger of another relegation.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
His overall play was far better than Mayo but made a number of mistakes due to lack of experience but hat will come this season against better wingers than last year.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Like i said before fatboys sponsorship money has
already been used to see us through last-season
and there is little if no money to bring in anybody
decent....but i think were scrape in

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I would say (without any doubt?) he is possibly the best young left back we have ever had. Better full back than Gary Stevens, better than that Arsenal and England international when he was at the Goldstone (forgotten his name for the time being*), better than Gary Williams?? Definitely better than Ian Chapman (no doubt about that!).

But who would want to stand in the way of a young player wanting first team football. maybe a short loan period for a small time club like Reading and play Adam Hinshelwood instead who may actually be better.

Could sell him to West Ham for £1.5 million and a player exhange, one of their forwards, preferably left-sided.

I find it hard to judge the player. I always though Ross Johnson would have made the grade, just as likely, or unlikely as Kerry Mayo. What I like about Dan Harding is his change of pace. Adam Hinshelwood I like his passing out of defence.

*Martin Keown, I remember it now.

Harding kept his place after the Kerry ban because defensively, he played excellently, took direction from Cullip well and his mistakes were few and far between. He benefited a lot from the defensive tactics of McGhee, Jonah was there for him most of the season and, in the play-off final, Charlie came back to help him neutralise the threat of Rougier.

The hope of many on here was that he would also add more in attack than Kerry but after some promise early on, I don't think that was really borne out by his play in the latter part of the season.

Possibly he was stymied by the long-ball tactics but, to be honest, he didn't look 100% convincing carrying the ball forward out of defence, so there must be some question marks about how much of a higher level in the game he can play. So I would be genuinely surprised if we got an offer for him that would be good enough for it to be worth our while. However, if we did, it would arguably be good business for us.

He is definitely quicker and more athletic than Kerry, which will be needed against the better class of right-winger he will face this season. But he will need to demonstrate further progress if he is going to nail down the left-back spot for us long-term.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
He lives round the corner from me with his parents, I sometimes
see him walking his dog.If I see him this week I will ask him.
:drink:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Don't ask... are you going to Reading?... may give his agent ideas!!...

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
perseus said:
I would say (without any doubt?) he is possibly the best young left back we have ever had.

I'd go along with that. We simply must hold on to our good young players if we are to flourish and improve as a team.

:nono:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
A fee in the range of 150000 would be a good since we didnt know about him last season.
We have mayo as a good replacement and you could bring in 3 or 4 players for that

Albionite83

Aug 27, 2003
kinkygerbil said:
A fee in the range of 150000 would be a good since we didnt know about him last season.
We have mayo as a good replacement and you could bring in 3 or 4 players for that
Then watch Reading sell him for £1-£2 million in a couple of years. Yeah, marvellous business :angry:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Albionite83 said:
Then watch Reading sell him for £1-£2 million in a couple of years. Yeah, marvellous business :angry:

Or watch him become a one season wonder?
its a gamble but would you rather have 3 new players or harding?

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
dosen't look like mcghee knows of him going anywhere if he's got plans for him in the middle

Albionite83

Aug 27, 2003
kinkygerbil said:
Or watch him become a one season wonder?
its a gamble but would you rather have 3 new players or harding?
You really don't like him, do you? I think he's going to be Premiership class within a couple of years and would be seriously pissed off if we let him go.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here