Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Happy New Year

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Sadiq Khan has cancelled the London New Year's fireworks for the second year running due to severe concerns over covid. Heads up if anyone wanted to be one of the 100,000+ who usually attend.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sadiq Khan has cancelled the London New Year's fireworks for the second year running due to severe concerns over covid. Heads up if anyone wanted to be one of the 100,000+ who usually attend.

Tremendous bounce.

But a little too soon, perhaps :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Before opening, I assumed somebody had bounced it to gloat that they were right to have said that they wouldn't be having a happy new year at all.

I thought much the same. Gloating about being right about predicting misery ahead is so very English, don't you find? ???

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est retiré.
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne

I watched the Fireworks from the private balcony a top floor suite overlooking the Thames (opposite the London Eye) at the Royal Horseguards about 5 years ago, supping Champagne with my wife and my 2 kids beside me. Cost me an arm, a leg, and a kidney, and my soul to the Devil, but it was the best New Years Eve I've had in my life - and I'll never forget it as long as I live. It was truly incredible.

I dream about doing it again, but I've only got one kidney and no soul left. :glare:

If anyone gets the chance to go when Mr Khan lets us loose I'd recommend it to anyone.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Every year I watch it on TV, I'm always left with an infinite sense of wellbeing that I can simply sink back into my warm comfortable armchair with a brandy and continue to digest my chicken balti, rather than trying to battle my way back out of the immediate vicinity of London and the Thames with fasands of others at that hour. One year it drizzled incessantly.

Fook dat.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I thought much the same. Gloating about being right about predicting misery ahead is so very English, don't you find? ???

I think it's telling that we use a German word for taking pleasure in other people's suffering, but not for taking pleasure in our own. I'm inclined to suggest it's our natural state of being.

I was going to suggest it's British rather than English, but I think the Scotch take misery from both their own and other's misery.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here