Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Happy Hurricane Anniversary

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If you actually experienced it , to all intents and purposes it was a hurricane. I think for it to be classed as a hurricane the wind speed has to over a certain speed constantly for a set level of time. 125 mph gusts lasting for say 30 seconds at a time wouldn't count.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Where I was, we regarded it as typical soft southerners over-reacting yet again. How right we were.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I slept through it too, then I woke up at 6am to go out and do a paper round along New Church Road. It was already dying off yet I could hardly ride my bike and, when I saw a beach hut minus roof I legged it home to find the power was out and my dad was searching the entire house for candles.

I have since slept through seversl typhoons in East Asia but that was mainly because work would always be cancelled the next day so it was a licence to neck Japanese whisky.

Muhammad - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
i was working as a doorman in pompey, finished around 3.30 and rode my motorbike home when it was at it's worst...dodging dustbins and fence panels. pretty hairy ride home.
25 years ago eh?

bloody hell

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
worked at the grand,we had all the windows blown in,we couldnt even open the door to the restaurant,the force of the wind,i had a flat in brunswick sq,windows blown in,random looting in london road,radio rentals prime shop,peoplelegging off with tvs

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
worked at the grand,we had all the windows blown in,we couldnt even open the door to the restaurant,the force of the wind,i had a flat in brunswick sq,windows blown in,random looting in london road,radio rentals prime shop,peoplelegging off with tvs

Was working there at the time too

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I was oop North in Cheshire and it BLEW OVER my Dustbin, I somehow made it into work but the SHEER HELL of the day is BURNED into my memory

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I was in Shoreham, backing onto Buckingham Park. Something woke me at about 3am - I got out of bed, tried to look out of the window but it was covered with salt spray and residue from the pines in the park behind the garden so I couldn't see anything much. Terrific wind noises but nonetheless I took to my bed again and slept soundly until morning. Awoke to total devastation outside. A huge Scotch Pine had luckily snapped about ten feet up its trunk and fallen just short of the house but absolutely filled the garden. Dad's greenhouse was a complete write-off. An unexpected day off work but found myself rather busy clearing up in the absence of my parents who were on a coach trip to Carlisle and missed all the fun!

wunt be druv

Drat! and double drat!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
I was staying over Worthing that night at a girlfriends house,I had a VW Karman Ghia (Bright red with white wall tyres) and was too bone idle to park it down the side of her house as it meant un-locking gates and padlocks and all that,so it stayed parked on the road,which was just as well as the chimney pot and stack was blown off and left a bloody great pile of bricks where the car would have been parked.But the worst thing was getting up in the morning and there being NO TELLY!! I did go outside during the night to check the storm out and the thing I remember most was how warm the wind was.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I was just seven. I had the day off school, so went tree climbing in Hove Park. Really weird seeing new stuff that was, previously, obscured by trees.

Can't believe it has been 25 years since the storm.

We had a stronger wind a few years later, but the ground was dry and there were less leaves on the trees, so the devastation was not so great.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
i was working as a doorman in pompey, finished around 3.30 and rode my motorbike home when it was at it's worst...dodging dustbins and fence panels. pretty hairy ride home.
25 years ago eh?

bloody hell

Sounds like one of those stories that was better to be recanted that the actual journey itself.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The night of the hurricane I got a phone call from a sort that I met about a year earlier at a party, went to visit her and spent the night. slept through the whole show. Same girl is upstairs now. Been married 15 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here