Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Happy birthday Internet, 50 years old today

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I had a friend who did support for Compuserve from his bedroom in the very early 90's. I remember he said "you can search and get information about anything" so the first thing I searched for on the world wide web was "Brighton and Hove Albion" I remember it bought a up a list of urls to other sites. I very was impressed. It was all text based then.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I had a friend who did support for Compuserve from his bedroom in the very early 90's. I remember he said "you can search and get information about anything" so the first thing I searched for on the world wide web was "Brighton and Hove Albion" I remember it bought a up a list of urls to other sites. I very was impressed. It was all text based then.

You showed a lot more restraint than I did then.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I remember Gopher (and Kermit), but not the other two. Yeah, my experience goes back to pre www days as well, back when comms programming was a real skill. (Remember using X.25?) I also remember the first time I downloaded a piece of software from a bulletin board rather than waiting for a floppy disk to arrive in the post. Wow!

And the first modem I used had a thing called an acoustic coupler, where you actually put the phone on the modem and the telephone receiver transmitted (and received) the handshaking and data as sound. I think it ran at 300 Baud! (Mind you I also remember using 80 column punch cards).

Blimey I'm old. :(

My mate tried to send a short message to the works mainframe thru an acoustic coupler via the pay phone in the Red Lion in Turners Hill.
Inevitably it didn't work so he had to stop drinking and drive to work.
I remember being very impressed with the technology even if it didn't work.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I started out with a 12/75 modem, a commodore 64 and a Prestel/Micronet account in 1987 after playing with some stuff at work.
My Prestel mailbox was 219997777 (I knew one of the Prestel sysops and he wangled me a decent one).
Graduated to bulletin boards and, for a while, had a point off a fidonet node.

I remember when only geeks and nerds had computers, now every idiot has one.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I started out with a 12/75 modem, a commodore 64 and a Prestel/Micronet account in 1987 after playing with some stuff at work.

Micronet 800! Now there's a blast from the past. I did some work for the crazy David Babsky when he was just setting up the system. I was fresh from journalism college and looking for work and spent a day putting together a news feed. There were jobs going there but I wasn't really geek enough then ... and I thought that David looked a bit of a nutter.

It was a truly interesting concept though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here